1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a knife for me!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bleh, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,
    As you may have seen in my other post, I'm on the market to upgrade some of my carry. Specifically, I'm looking to upgrade my knife. I've got a Spyderco Tenacious that I love, but I don't carry it too often because of the size. I also have a Benchmade Minigrip, but I've been largely unimpressed with it. It doesn't seem to get as sharp as the Tenacious (it didn't come as sharp as the spydie either), and something about it just doesn't do it for me. So, I'm looking for something different.

Here are my [somewhat flexible] requirements:
    • ~3" blade;
      • The giant leaf shaped blade of the tenacious draws some looks when I whip it out to open a box or do some cutting. I may be able to do a bit over 3" if the blade profile is thin, i.e. not so broadly leaf shaped.
    • Secure lock.
      • I really like the axis lock on the BM. I've been looking at the compression lock and the ball lock on the spidies lately, and both are quite appealing. I don't think I've ever had a frame lock, so I don't know how I'd like it. Liner locks have been plenty sufficient, provided they can't be accidentally disengaged by tightly gripping the knife (I've had this happen on cheap knives:hot: ). Not crazy about back locks.
    • Easy to sharpen OR holds and edge REALLY well
      • I think one of the reasons I never really fell in love with the BM minigrip is that I didn't spend enough time to get it super sharp. I feel like it should have come super sharp, but the amount of work it was going to take to get it to where the spyderco was at unboxing just put me off. So, I'm on the fence on whether I want a softer steel that will take an edge really well, but can be touched up quickly, or a super steel that will hold an edge really well but will take forever and a day and a wrist brace to sharpen. Any advice here is appreciated.:confused:
    • NOTtactical in appearance.
      • I already get looks with my rather pedestrian [at least by comparison] Spyderco. I don't need a Stryder/Hinderer looking knife. I'm just trimming some plastics, and cutting and opening boxes ;)
    • Slim enough to not be uncomfortable when sat upon in my back right pocket.
    • Titanium would be pretty sweet, but is probably out of my budget considering my budget:
    • Last, and probably the most important, Somewhere around $100, preferably less than, but if something really strikes my fancy, I could go a LITTLE more than $100.
    So watcha got for me, edcf crew?

Right now I'm considering, in no particular order:
    • Spyderco Dragonfly ZDP
    • Kershaw Cryo
    • Spyderco Sage3 bolt action

2. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

The Sage 1 is a fantastic knife, and with a little shopping, can be found for less than $100. I bought my girlfriend one for $75 like new on the secondary market recently. The Carbon Fiber scales give the knife a little classier look, and makes it look less menacing. S30v is a great steel, as you probably already know. Plus, the wire pocket clip will make it disappear in your pocket.

3. Zookie

Zookie Loaded Pockets

What sharpening system do you have? 154cm on the mini grip should get scary sharp, scary quick. I'd imagine it's the bevel angel, and you might need to reprofile it.

You're choices are great! Take a look at the buck vantage series, wonderful prices and the s30v version is a great deal.

Also check out CRKT's framelock ripple. They cost 75$ and they have ikbs bearing system so they deploy fast. The blade length is around 3 inches so it meets you're requirements

4. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'll look into it. Walmart of all places has the Sage3 in a nice blue for just over $100. I'm totally fine with used, so I'll keep an eye out here and on e-bay.

EDIT: After looking again, the Sage1 is $109, the Sage3 is $106, what are the differences? Any significant difference other than locking scheme?

I have the sharpmaker, and yes, I think you're correct that it would require a reprofile, which is why I gave up, I think. It's been a while now, so I don't really remember. I just remember spending a bunch of time trying to get it sharp, getting frustrated, and finally giving up. It's decently sharp now, but I'm consistently disappointed with it when I cut with it.

I'll look into those knives. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by bleh, Aug 8, 2012
  5. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Only differences between the Sages are the lock and handle materials.

6. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

The Sages are pretty big EDC blades, they wouldn't be significantly smaller than your Tenacious. They'd probably look less "tactical" though. I carry a Sage 2 most of the time, it still gets the bent eye from some folks, but far less than a Manix2.

Given your circumstances I'll make a weird suggestion. Get a set of diamond stones for your Sharpmaker and get a decent edge on your Mini-Grip, it really is a great knife. My Grip took about 20 strokes each side with the diamond stones followed up by the brown and white stones, it's scary sharp now.

Cheers, Ted

7. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

You know, that's probably the best solution, but I want new shiny stuff! Maybe I'll try and spend a little time with it and the grey/white stones I have at home and see where I am tomorrow.

Still want a new one though. I got some cash burnin' a hole in mah pocket!

8. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I can't really throw stones since I have a sharp thing or two in the mail myself :)

I fought with the normal sharpmaker stones for a long time before breaking down and picking up the diamond ones. The Brown/White stones are great for touching up an edge, but it you're starting from "blunt" you'll go grey before they let you make it to truly sharp.

Cheers, Ted

9. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

That would probably be a good investment along with a new shiny. I have some exceeding dull and nicked up kitchen knives that I've fought with on the sharpmaker as well. Works great on the spydie though...

10. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica4, if you liked your tenacious get the non china made version. The lockback is solid, the knife weighs almost nothing and its very well priced if you go looking online.

11. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Spyderco Salt? I do work around and occasionally on a lake.

I really dig that CRKT ripple, but the shopping is still ongoing. Don't know if I'll go with that or something different. Are there any out there that have the lower closed profile, like the CRK Sebenza? i.e. no spydie hole?

Can someone point me to a size reference for the spydie line? It'd be nice if there existed a picture somewhere of a bunch of their folders all open in a line so I could easily see the size difference between the Tenacious and others.

If I bumped the budget to $150, does that open up and other titanium framed folders?

12. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

I'm tellin' 'ya what. That ZDP Dfly sounds like your best bet the way you describe the looks you get from co-workers. It's really small, unobtrusive, gets scary sharp, wouldn't notice it in your back pocket, would cut cardboard all day, and falls perfectly in your budget at under a $100 dollar bill. Get one. They're awesome little big knives! :D Opening up the budget to $150 still wouldn't get you a sebbie unless you find one really abused. At least pick up a ZDP Dfly until you've looked at more knives. By then maybe you'll have saved up some more to get another knife.

13. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

The Bradley Alias 1 is a sweet all Ti framelock in S30V. You could probably find one on the used market around your budget. Especially if you bump it up like you said to $150. :)

14. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Para2 fan here. After owning hundreds of knives from $10 opinels to $1000 custom slip-joints, I think the para2 is the finest bang-for-buck knife that money can buy....it's just that good. Try it, you will not be disappointed. Pare it up with a SAK for use around the skittish and your set!

Last edited by macmiddlebrooks, Aug 8, 2012
    Andy S and Bravo_Kilo like this.
  15. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

:D

[​IMG]

Kidding (sorta). The Sage 1 is a great way to go. I'm backing that option.

16. Twice armed

Twice armed Loaded Pockets

Have you consider the kershaw leek if you like the cryo it's something to look into

17. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

While we're on the subject of Emersons, take a look at the A100.

18. tazambo

tazambo Loaded Pockets

This one is slightly over $100 but the Benchmade 940 is my favourite knife.
    Under $100, Spyderco Delica ZDP

19. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Ok, I've checked out the recent recommendations online. The A100 doesn't really do anything for me. I still really like the idea of the ZDP steel, but the Dragonfly and the Delica both look like they're back locks, which is definitely not preferred. The ParaMilitary is quite large, so I don't know if that would be a possibility. I wish there was somewhere I could SEE these knives in person. :furious:

That ripple is still intriguing, but again, without handling it, it's hard to tell. As is the BM 940, but it's at the top end of my range, so I don't know if I'd want to spend that much without getting the TI framelock look that I've been drooling over (Bradley Alias/CRK etc...)

On another note, I spent about 30 minutes with the BM minigrip on the sharpmaker last night, and it's tolerably sharp now. I plan on carrying it for the rest of the week and see if I fall in love. I remembered one of the other things that kinda bothered me about it. I'm not a big fan of the feel of the grips. While they're plenty grippy, the Valox just feels cheap. I much prefer the feel of the machined G10 on the tenacious.

So, different question in this now-evolving thread.... If I end up liking my now-sharp BM 556, where can I find some different scales for it? I've seen some machined Ti scales around here, but I'm sure those will be prohibitively expensive and difficult to find. Can someone point me to a source for different scales?

EDIT: I've found Cuscadi; anyone else in the custom/stock scale replacement game for the minigrip?

20. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

If you love the Tenacious, why not make a lateral move to the Persistence? A smaller overall knife, but basically the same as the Tenacious.

The other option I think you mentioned was the Sage 3. Blue is calming. The G10 is likely the same (though I never owned the 3). I did own the Sage 1. It was bigger than the Persistence, so it's probably not much of a change from the Tenacious. The steel is better, but other wise the same.

I would highly recommend staying away from back locks. I don't like them and tried the Dragonfly and Native and while I loved the knives in all the other areas, I couldn't get past the lock. Don't settle for it, it will likely drive you crazy.

There is the Spyderco Cat in G10 with 440C steel. A marginal upgrade to 8cr13mov. It's smaller than the Tenacious (smaller than the Persistence too), it has a nice liner lock with firm detent, and standard Spyderco G10. The 440c different than the lower quality 420HC. Great corrosion resistance, easy to sharpen, decent edge retention, low cost. It has the Spyderco wire clip, that is fantastic. The size is not aggressive and it's a great EDC blade. There is a discontinued S30V version, but it's hard to find and pricey.

Another "maybe" is the Spyderco Dodo in Orange G10. A little out of your price range, but awesome EDC blade. You have to take care of the tip, but S30V and Orange!

macmiddlebrooks likes this.