1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a AA EDC light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by zenlunatic, Mar 2, 2009.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I've had some problems with my Fenix LD10, and apparantly I'm not the only one. I can't be secure with my EDC light with this sort of feedback (see link).

Can you guys recommend a good replacement for EDC? I prefer AA lights with a tail button. I have my eye on that Nitecore D10. I would have posted this on CPF, but I'm not into flashlights enough to understand most of their posts.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

D10 is a good choice. People seem pretty satisfied with theirs and I liked my EX10.

3. corndog815

corndog815 Empty Pockets

Ha haha Im with u, I dont understand a word that they are saying over there on cpf. lol anyways
    Maybe check out the NitecoreD10 as you said and ummm, not exactly sure wat else yyou can try. If you hunt down a LED Lenser, German High End flashlight brand, I think they make one really nice single AA flashlight, an LED. If you wanted to have a bit smaller you could try a Leatherman S2. I was looking at one of them but Its just a bit small, so Im going for a Fenix L1D CE YAY....
    Hope u find wat flashlight ur after

Connor

4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I keep an Arc-P on my keychain. It is the latest & greatest, but it is reliable, and a tough little bugger to boot. I am very happy with mine.

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

6. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

Carrot's guide has some great info, definitely check it out.

I would give a +1 recommendation on the NiteCore D10. I absolutely love mine, as most people do who own the light. For its size, the output is awesome, and low is very nice. Runs on 1 AA with a max output of 130 lumens (145 if you get the new R2 upgraded model). Add a pocket clip to it, makes for a perfect EDC light. Currently my EDC light right now actually :)

7. Nocam

Nocam Loaded Pockets

+1 for the D10 R2. Got mine yesterday and it is a beast of a pocket light.

8. Dane1957

Dane1957 Loaded Pockets

I really want you to know I spent a very lot of time on this...I looked for this light in more than 3 states ....That said.........Talked to an engineer at Energizer-Eveready battery.... I am awaiting an written explanation from him today or tomorrow............the flashlight Cree MLT1WAAE is not a valid model and not available any more..... its update is the lexon bulb.........However if you reread my new choice... you will see thats it is.. 1 AA bat ...Cree light.... 1 watt...new model and as I point out its 2 x the price more lumen's 65 app...ELMCL11L

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/elmcl11l.pdf
    The Energizer e2� Lithium LED 1 AA flashlight gives you the perfect amount of light every time. With its advanced Azoteq IQ tailcap switch, simply press and hold until you reach the desired lighting level. At the lowest level, the Energizer e2 Lithium 1AA will flash to let you know you are at the lowest output level. If you continue to hold the tail switch, the output level will increase back to the maximum output of 65 lumens. The Energizer e2 Lithium 1AA comes on in high mode with 65 lumens of bright light and a 2.5 hour runtime (at max brightness using the included AA lithium battery).

Features of Energizer e2� Lithium� 1 AA LED Flashlight
    • advanced Azoteq IQ Switch� adjusts brightness to desired level
    • pushbutton tail switch, press and hold to turn on, release at desired light level
    • run time in high - 2.5 hours lithium, 45 minutes alkaline
    • Energizer e2 Lithium LED flashlight 1 AA always turns on at the
    highest brightness level
    • pulse with modulation, maximizes battery life
    • waterproof, IEC 60529 IPX7 rated, 1 meter/3.2 feet of water for 30 minutes
    • auto shut off after 30 minutes.........................What could possibly be wrong with that?
    • heavy duty metal clip (removable)
    • smooth reflector
    • shatterproof lens, S500 Poly siloxane coating imparts superior weathering
    resistance and hardness
    • engineered elastomer grip
    • machined aircraft grade aluminum alloy casing
    • includes 1 AA Energizer e2 lithium battery
    with 15 year shelf life
    world's longest lasting AA battery
    performs well in extreme temperatures; -40 degrees F to 140 degrees F
    33% lighter than alkaline AA
    leak resistant construction
    • battery made in USA, flashlight made in China
    • lifetime warranty from Energizer

9. GregY

GregY Loaded Pockets

A bit less sexy, but I've been very happy with the L1T v2.0. I've got the RB80 (read "old") version, I've been beating on it for a while and no problems.

10. Skeptic

Skeptic Empty Pockets

I am have a NiteCore D10 that I got in December, great light very handy for lots of situations. I bought the clip to put on it and it goes great in my pocket.

Dane1957, I am not sure what light you are talking about. Are you talking about the AA Energizer 1 W LED that some of us were finding at Target for $18? I don't have a model number any longer (there is not one on the light that I can find). Where some had an Orange Peel reflector and others were smooth in the same package?

That said the ELMCL11L looks kind of interesting on that sheet. Will be nice to read a review by someone how it works.

11. geek4christ

geek4christ Empty Pockets

Hi, zenlunatic,

I'm not sure if you're still looking, but I can definitely vouch for the D10. It is one sweet little EDC light. I really appreciate the combination of respectable brightness on high and the ultra-low low setting. It makes the light very versatile.

May I also point you in the direction of the EagleTac P10A. By all accounts it is a great light as well, though I don't own that one (yet ;) ).

12. Dane1957

Dane1957 Loaded Pockets

Skeptic
    This is the only light engineers acknowledges for Cree see below ..ELMCL11L...... the other MLT1WAAE they just call a LED the flashlight (Cree MLT1WAAE) is not a valid model and not available any more, is what I was told ....andI spent the better part of 2 hrs on the phone with them
    .........However if you reread my new choice... you will see thats it is.. 1 AA bat ...Cree light.... 1 watt...new model and as I point out its 2 x the price more lumen's 65 app...ELMCL11L

13. skycaptain

skycaptain Loaded Pockets

Another + for the D10.

However, if you still have not decided, Nitecore is going to release an new smaller AA called the EZAA.
    [img width=640 height=426]http://chows.smugmug.com/photos/498400797_7QFxm-L.jpg[/img]

14. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Yet another +1 for the D10. A perfect EDC light. I got mine with the GDP and have been very happy. It fits perfectly in my watch pocket.

15. applevision

applevision Loaded Pockets

Another +1 on the Nitecore D10. A phenomenal light.

I am also eagerly anticipating the EZAA which looks to be one of the most efficient AA lights of all time. It is not a clickie however, and rather uses a twist mechanism at the front of the unit.

Dane1957, I am a candlepowerforums junkie and I still do not understand what you are saying. Can you clarify please? :)

16. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I'm getting a D10 next pay. Thanks guys.

17. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I think what Dane is referring to is the 1 Watt AA led light from Energizer. There were two version. The newer one came with a lexicon led and a rarer older version with a cree led. My understanding is that both versions had the same model number. For whatever debatable reason, Energizer is phasing out that model and they are introducing a newer model. The newer model is not as bright as the cree version. It has some auto shutoff feature that is not sitting too well with some folks.

18. bullfrog01

bullfrog01 Empty Pockets

I just gotta add my two bits

It would seem like most of you guys want the sun, moon and stars when it comes to an EDC light. The more doo-dads you have built into a light the more likely it is to crap out on you. Many of you have been talking up the NiteCore D10. It's a great light ... when it works. I truly am an EDC user of a pocket-sized light (working in a windowless building with dicey back-up lighting) I've had the D10 for two years and it has an annoying habit of being 'bright' one day and the very next day - nothing! I'm not exaggerating. Something about the electronics drains power even when 'off.' I've had 4Seven (they're great guys!) replace the head once when I had the light for under one year. Same happened just the other day - under a yearafter the head replacement. Bright one day and the very next day (looking for a wee-spring for my Garand under my workbench) - nothing! I again contacted 4seven (poor guys) and they said that they aren't carrying NiteCore any longer because there were too many complaints and didn't have parts. The D10 is the pits for reliability and that really is the game. Forget flashing lights and SOS and multi filters, etc. An EDC light needs to run on readily available batteries (single AA), be truly pocketable (clips on lights are a cop-out on pocketability - sorry), pure white light, bright (in excess of at least 90 lumens) and when the battery is about to go dry the light should default to a low power setting for, say, 5 hours (which would also be a choice - the only choice of an alternate power setting), a fool proof, counter sunk perhaps lockable clicky switch, NOT cylindrical (round things tend to roll). I know that many of you are addicted to fancy electronics so you can have something to play with but fancy electronics detracts from reliability which really is the name of the EDC game. Sorry if I irked some of you as that was not my intent.

19. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I believe some of the older D10s and EX10s had a bug that drained the battery when left off. I know my EX10 does this and it sounds like your D10 does too. I have since changed to a 4Sevens 123 Ti LE and it works much better. I loved the simplicity of the interface on my EX10 but the battery drain annoyed me so I haven't used it in awhile. I'm sure I will again later but for now, it sits in the safe...

Oh, and since this is your first post, welcome to EDCF. Plus, this is a year old thread so we're bringing back the dead. :)

Heath

20. bullfrog01

bullfrog01 Empty Pockets

Heath,

Thanks for the tip. Actually this isn't my first post and I've been a more or less IN-active member for about two years. (Coyote, a bud of mine, put me onto EDCF.) Something about the new website that seems to have 'modified' my statistics. But thanks for your welcome anyhow. By the way bringing back the dead is what I do - sort of.

Dave