1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recomend a $10 Knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by barlow666, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Mag718

Mag718 Loaded Pockets

Get a bunch of the folding razor blade knives from countycomm. Plenty sharp. Low profile and if you lose it no big deal. I carry an opinel no.6 For most basic needs. Apples and such. The little razor blade ones come in handy for just about everything.

Sent from my iPad using SkyNet & Tapatalk.

Beneficial likes this.
  2. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

Save your money and get a quality folding knife. And if you expand your view to traditional folders the quality will go up but usually the price won't.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

:censored:, I completely forgot about Opinel. I have a carbon one that's really nice, and you know the lock won't be flimsy or ill-fitting like a lot of el cheapo liner locks. FWIW $10 liner locks scare me a little.

4. Mag718

Mag718 Loaded Pockets

Like I said earlier, Opinel No.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & SkyNet

5. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Barlow, if you are interested and can live without the pocket clip, here is the link to Opinel.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have many Opinels. But...they are still $12 to $7 dollar knives. Not something I would go to everyday.

[​IMG]
    mumbo opinel by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

8. T.H.Cone

Really, Mumbo, you don't think it can handle most daily tasks? Cutting an apple, opening boxes of cool EDC gear that I found on the porch, cutting twine.... I'm not going to ditch my Endura, but I'm going to toss a No. 8 into a pocket and see how she performs for a week or two.

And, not for anything, but is that a 3D puzzle piece above the knives?

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's a great knife but they are cheap. I live in a very wet environment and the wood swells. Quality varies... I have some that are junk and don't open well and some where the lock doesn't turn smoothly. This topic comes regularly on the forum and the answer for me is clear. A 500-600 year old Katana compared to a mall sword. Yes…they both cut hot dogs but…… ??
    People should buy whatever they like.
    Yup, that is a 3D puzzle piece. ;)

10. T.H.Cone

^ I can see where moisture would be an issue so, fair enough. I also have recently gotten a blue handled No. 7 for my youngest son that had a very stiff pivot. So, ya, that can happen. I fixed it by liberally applying a synthetic lube and working it back and forth. Totally fine now, but who knows if that would always work. Is it the ideal EDC blade, probably not, but in the $10 range, it is better than most, imho.

So, are you a builder of 3D puzzles of are you just trying to keep your brain young?

11. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

It deosn't meet all of your criteria, but it is probably the BEST blade you will get for the money (L6 tool steel.) It will put many other expensive blades to shame. it is a bit large for pocket carry and doesn't have a clip, but at the price it is a prime candidate for customization. Just remember to dry the blade after use. I give you the Svord Peasant : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WMCRQS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004HV3A3W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FZ5AS14FN3MQ34W9QKZ
    http://www.svord.com/pages/catalog/PK.htm
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I forgot they make slim handled versions now that would probably fit in the pocket better: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Svord-Peasant-Knife-Folder-Slim--11678

Last edited by Finnigan, Apr 17, 2012
    kye4some likes this.
  12. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

Pseudonym likes this.
  13. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

The only $10 knife I would EVER recommend is the Vic classic. As mentioned earlier, why not spend a few extra dollars to get a warranty, better craftsmanship and materials?

14. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

it's funny how the majority of "non SRM" recommendations are knives made by sanrenmu. i suppose buying the same knife with a better name at double/triple the price is the way to go, though.

Boker
    Spyderco's chinese made knives
    Buck
    CRKT
    and im sure alot more

Last edited by jnsn, Apr 17, 2012
    kye4some likes this.
  15. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

No pocket clip, but a little Opinel is left-hand friendly, has a unique lock feature and is available for around the $10-$15 mark. Since the handle is all wood, modifying it to add a pocket clip wouldn't be a big stretch with the most basic of tools and a bit of patience.

Here is my No.6 with a lanyard hole drilled in it and the edges sanded down a bit.

[​IMG]

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Lol, I have that exact problem :p

17. scout121

scout121 Empty Pockets

I recently got the opportunity to clean up and sharpen a friends Opinel no7 and i have to say that they are great knives for the price! Good luck on your search!

18. tpe123

tpe123 Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu has a pretty good reputation . They are widely admired among people who actually have them.

Sanrenmu knives have perfectly good locks. Except the slipjoints. So lets sum up again. They have good fit and finish. They are made from good steel. And they have good locks. That would be because they make good knives. Bad companies don't "make good knives but bad locks". This is pretty contorted logic you're attempting.

FWIW, Sal Glesser revealed that Sanrenmu makes Spyderco's Byrd knives. Presumably because they make such bad knives? What do you think?

Get real? Sounds like you're the one who needs a reality check. Once can absolutely find a quality knife in a Sanrenmu for under $10.

19. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna go ahead and say this post accomplishes nothing.

FWIW I own a Sanrenmu knife and it is by no means admirable. It's fine for $12, but it's not exceptional in any way. And the lock is less than not good, it locks up at past 100% out of the box.

ETA: That being said, Opinels are top-notch. But then again they're simple, so they can make them well for cheap.

Last edited by Pseudonym, Apr 22, 2012
  20. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

So to the OP, has any of this information helped you in your search for this $10 knife? It's been a week and 3 pages but no further input from you?