1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rechargable batteries

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by M Vance, Jun 1, 2015.

1. M Vance

M Vance Loaded Pockets

Does anyone out there carry rechargeable batteries in their EDC bags? I wanted to get some of the Duracell rechargeable AAA's as a backup for my EDC pen flashlight, but I wondered how long they will hold a charge while sitting in the bottom of my bag. Is there another brand that someone knows is better, or should I just carry the plain old batteries?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

eneloops or any other brand low-self-discharge batteries will do great here (many different brands make em).

They hold up to 80% of their charge over a year or something like that. Capacity will be less than with 'regular rechargeable batteries but after about a couple months the LSD's will have caught up on their high capacity brothers when it comes to left over energy.

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Like WesterDutch, I'd also suggest the Eneloops. I also have the Duracell "white tops" which are alleged to be rebranded Eneloops and can be distinguished from the "black top" Duracells as the whites are made in Japan whereas the blacks are producesd in China.

Visually, the white and black can also be seen around the positive terminal.

Anyway, while it is true they will slowly discharge over time, if you were to carry six AAA spares in a Powerpax battery caddy, you'd have three sets of spares for your penlight (I'm assuming a 2xAAA light). Even if the cells were down to 80, or even 60%, you'd still have plenty of run time because of the redundancy.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to freshen them up at the same time you check the other consumables in the bag (food, first aid) or at some regular interval like your birthday.

Chances are you will be putting fresh cells in the bag as you go if the cells in the bag are being used as resupply instead of an emergency supply.

All of that said, if you really want to throw cells in the bag and truly forget about them, it might be worth it to invest in a few LI AAAs (primaries) which will have a substantially longer shelf life.

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Eneloops.

I keep a usb charger for my batteries in my pack, make sure charger and usb us at least 1 amp, or it will be slow charging.

Nighted and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

^
    They are the best standard sized rechargeable batteries I've used. They still discharge more quickly than primaries however.

My edc lights are all running rechargeable AW 16340 IMR batteries. I keep a spare set of these in my bag but use the lights enough that the batteries get cycled fairly often.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  6. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

+ 4 for Eneloops, they stay charged for ages too.

Yes I carry spares with me too.

Who cares is they discharge quicker if you have plenty laying around :)

7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm really surprised Eneloops are still relatively unknown amongst muggles. These cells got me to standardize all my travel/camping/emergency/EDC gadgets around one battery platform. It used to drive me nuts when each device needed its own proprietary back-up battery, cord, and charger.

8. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Concur with T.H.Cone, a combination of Enloops and LI AAA/AAs make a good EDC carry. The Enloops allow one to carry a small charger or solar panel/charger set, and the LIs will keep one going when the sun does not shine or conditions do not permit time for solar charging session.

Weight weenies need not apply.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  9. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Eneloops are great! I also use the Amazon Basics rechargeables and they are great as well.

10. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

They're unknown because Panasonic/Sanyo doesn't market them here in the US worth beans, if at all. Try finding them on Panasonic's USofA site...

reppans and T.H.Cone like this.
  11. smokingfish

Eneloops may discharge fast, but they charge just as quick.

My eneloops charge roughly 3 times faster than my regular nihm batteries. But I keep a pack of 4 eneloops in my pack anyways.

12. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Ha! "Muggles". I told my wife about that and she decided she's "half-blood" because she has a pocket dangler to hang her keys in her bag, and a cheap big box pocketknife for self defense and utility.

13. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Not only that, but the new model Eneloops can be recharged up to 2,100 times! Compare that with the energizers and Duracell rechargeables that you buy in stores that are only good for a couple of hundred charging cycles.

smokingfish and T.H.Cone like this.
  14. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Like many before me have said, Eneloops all the way.

hal_chase and T.H.Cone like this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

If you're tight fisted go for the black Amazon rechargeables, they come on offer from time to time. Close to the eneloops to the best of my knowledge.

16. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Thanks to you fine folks I have just thought up another repurposed use for a piece of kit I have that I only thought had one purpose, the backup cell phone battery.

I keep one in most of my kits along with a adapter cord (usb to mini usb) to charge my phone. Now I need to find a good usb charger that I can plug in to charge flash light batteries!

Looking for a charger that can do AAA, AA and 123 cells. Thanks!

smokingfish likes this.
  17. smokingfish

Good luck, I've been looking for a quality charger that will charge most batteries up to 1 or 2 amps and usb....

going to be a long search

18. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Hmm, well the search is on!!! Maybe just AA and AAA? I do not really use 123 that often.

19. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

RCR123's are completely different beasts from regular AA/AAAs... combining those two in a single device would lead to something large/expensive/not working decently for either chemistry (pick any two). Better buy separate chargers for separate chemistries.

20. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Xtar XP1 ?

Review here ...

lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Xtar%20XP1%20UK.html

I do prefer to use separate dedicated chargers for Li-Ion (Xtar VP2) and NiMH (Maha C9000) ... but the XP1 looks like a charger that can do both, compact in size, and a reasonable compromise option.

T.H.Cone likes this.