1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reccomendations for a good small camcorder around $300

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by rule303, Nov 18, 2010.

1. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

I never in a million years thought I would want or need a camcorder but it looks like I know want (which I guess equals need) a camcorder for an upcoming trip. I don't know anything about topic and am doing research and trying to educate myself. in addition to hitting up camera specific websites I wanted to see what the EDC crowd has to say.

Update based on my research-
    So far it looks to me like HD is optional but definitely a very nice to have.

I am thinking memory card for the memory although I did see some cameras with some onboard storage as well as the memory card which appeals to my beklt and suspenders sensibility.

The folks here at EDC are awesome.

Thanks for any input,
    Andy

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

using my htc evo for that
    before i got it, was using a flip mino

small/cheap usually means poor low-light performance. they work great outdoors though.

when I was in to making short films, I used a canon point-and-shoot; don't remember the specific model, but it was awesome
    don't worry about zoom, optical or digital. if you zoom too much, you won't be able to keep the darn thing still, anyways. unless you also have a tripod, that is.

"special effects" are pretty weak. just stick with uploading to your computer, and edit there. you can add all those effects in afterwards.
    consider something that can also take still pictures.

3. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Are you looking for a camera with removeable media? Something that produces a very nice HD picture? Or one of the Flip pocket cameras (which still have a nice HD just not as high res)?

If its the pocket type you sync to your computer? The Kodak Zi8

4. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for input. I'll look into the Canons. I also can't believe how small and inexpensive that Kodak Zi8 is.

5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

What are you going to be filming? How bombproof does it need to be?

Kite geeks lean towards the GoPro Hero HD.

If you are going to be out in dicey environments, it's waterproof, shock resistant, and the lens is protected with a replaceable lens shield.

[video=vimeo;16375068]http://vimeo.com/16375068[/video]

ATB,
    Sam

6. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

I run with the Kodak Play Sport for most of my fishing videos. Here is an example. In HD!

[video=youtube;Hf-fMi_Ed0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-fMi_Ed0Y[/video]

7. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I like my Canon EOS 7D DSLR. It also does 1080p hi def video

8. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I haven't looked at a video camera in over two years. Prior to that I spent several years selling them (and other electronics). I think I can point you in the right direction, but you'll need to do further research. For a hard drive camera with expandable memory under $500 I would look at JVC. They had the most bang for your buck while still being a quality product. Above that price point Sony was offering a quality product that competed well with the JVC. Over $900 and you had several options. Sony, JVC, Cannon, and Panasonic all had nice Hard Drive models with expandable media. Panasonic was offering a 3 ccd chip cam in this range. By now prices have probably dropped and the bigger names in cams have trickled the Hard Drive technology down into the price point previously dominated by JVC. (Though top features like a 3 ccd chip may have become more scarce.) Good luck on your search, and let us know what you decide on.

9. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Man, I can't tell you folks how much I appreciate this help. I am completely out to sea when it comes to deciphering all of this camera stuff. The initial reason for buying the camera is a trip to Ireland my wife and I recieved from the family for our 40th B-days. It doesn't need to be bomb-proof but I do want it to be pretty sturdy. I would also like the audio to be good becasue I am an complete and total absolute fanatic for Irish traditional music (my brother cals me the trad nazi) and I hope to be able to film some (with the musicans' approval of course). I'd like it to be compact as well.

@ Indigo Wolf- That is some pretty awesome footage and a cool camera. A bit more purpose driven then I am looking for. I wish these had been around ~years ago when I was busy crippling myself up on a mt. bike. I could have had some great face meets dirt footage.

@hoshnasi. Great footage and a great review. I really can't believe the quality of the picture for the money...and waterproof too.

@erdoc- That is a fantastic camera but way out of my price range. I can't afford to spend that on a rifle much less a camera. I should have stated a price range, I'll edit the original post to include that. I'd like to keep it around $300. I don't know what that will get me but I hope I can find something suitable; based on the quality of the picture and sound coming from the Kodak above I think I can.

10. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Rpuppet,
    Thanks for the info. I have added JVC to the list of brands to look at. I think I am narrowing down the feature set and will be moving on to actual brand selection after that.

11. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

canon vixia hf-r10. on sale for $299.99 at best buy (down from $399.99). here it is in action (shameless plug):

[video=youtube;D_gamCPb6wk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_gamCPb6wk[/video]

stschmalhaus uses the european version to much better effect.

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

13. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

14. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Wow. Thank you folks very, very much. It looks like I'll be spending some money today but not as much as I would have otherwise.

15. doktorziplok

what did you decide on?

16. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

I was waffling back and forth between the one you suggested and the one on woot and then started researching both which spun me off to a couple of other sites and now I'm still looking. Those two are on the short list and I am pretty much giving myself 'til the end of the day to make up my mind and be done with it. I can sometimes do the comparitive shopping thing too much.

17. doktorziplok

i know how that goes.

don't forget to factor in your editing (pc/mac) requirements.

18. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Not that I know that specific model of Canon. I am a Canon fan and have liked all of their cameras that I have bought in the past.

19. doktorziplok

the canon has one thing going for it which put it to the top of my list: the ability to use an external mic.

20. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

External Mic is a great feature.

That Kodak Xi8 pocket cam also has an external mic, FYI.