1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reasons to EDC things

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Haffner, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

I'm sure a bunch of you saw the story about the man that survived for 6 days when his car ran off the road into a ravine.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-crashes-2-missing-men-2-different-results-074835530.html

OK, maybe the chance of something like this happening is 1 in a billion, but it sure made me think about what I would do in a situation like that and what I'd like to have handy to help me survive.

Although he proved that you can survive on brainpower and intestinal fortitude (guts!) alone, it's the "what ifs" like this that keep me thinking (and coming back to forums like this) every day.

2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I drove that road several times when lived in CA ... it's bad. Two vehicles from two unrelated accidents ... the odds aren't that long. Maybe this was a case where flashlight with (the often-maligned) strobe mode could've led to earlier discovery.

3. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

It's a miracle that he survived the fall. Sure survival tools would help, if you don't die from the impact first. It's not only what you carry but how you carry it can make a difference here. If all your stuff is in the trunk and you are not able to walk to the trunk or the trunk is damaged and can not be opened, then your gears are of no use. I read survival stories with great interests and always ask, "What would I have done?"

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

my pockets are half full??? or empty???

5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

A good point. Stressed same in recent thread about "Rescue Knives" ...

6. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Just about all my EDC is somehow related to "pockets".

Just a thought.

7. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

The only thing I carry all the time (except when I sleep and then its on the nightstand) is a Case Stockman. There are so many uses for it during the day. When I am home the rest of the EDC (wallet, keys, small flashlight, and M642) stay on top of the fridge til I leave the house.

Sent from my Ally

8. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I'm much the same, the Leatherman Wave lives on my belt so its always there when needed. Everything else is either in a dish on the counter or in my bag in the iving room.

9. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

10. blackfeathers

blackfeathers Loaded Pockets

this is a great thread on the philosophy of edcs. i see it coming down to personal needs and preferences applied to the situation.

for me, i find having fishing hooks in a wallet and other items that won't be used during the day as missing the point. i try to separate survival items from a true everyday carry -every kit for a certain purpose. prioritizing based on what i use everyday.

all that stuff adds up to clutter and added weight that can inhibit or restrict ease of use and general movement. considering: would i have to dig x utility under a bunch of other things just to use it? or would organising its placement better? or would doing without it be best? or would placing x item in an easy-to-reach-to the best solution?

just because a bag or other item holds stuff, doesn't necessarily incline it to be filled or that a specific situation will happen. there's an advantage to minimalism as well as being fully prepared. it depends on context of the situation and how to organise such kits and items in an effective way. that's where my challenges are. an outdoor survival kit versus an urban survival kit versus a technology gear kit versus an automobile kit all with varying degrees of first aid.

what i know i need to have comes before just-in-case scenarios and luxury items. each kit can build on top of each other thanks to the help of pocket organisers, keychains and what have you.

11. Sputnik6

Sputnik6 Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with this - it's kinda like ammunition and medical supplies - better to have extra and not need it, because when you do need it, you really need it.

12. tenordrumr

tenordrumr Empty Pockets

For me, it comes down to the "have it and not need it than not have it" mentioned above and a need based on situational/environmental reasons. I have been stuck plenty of times without things - whether it's a phone, knife, flashlight, rainjacket, etc. and really wished I had them. This has lead to an EDC mindset, or "Just in case". Plus, I am out of the apartment constantly for work and school.

13. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I carry what I carry mostly for peace of mind. I only truly need a small part of my EDC daily, but almost all of it gets used weekly. My leatherman is the core of it believe it or not, it gets used more than anything but my house key. My wallet is there for obvious reasons. I carry a light because if I don't, I'll need it. My on person EDC is very practical. Now for the bag. I have more in there than I care to describe ATM, but suffice it to say I have needed it all. Some things, as the OP said, are virtually impossible to get when you need them and you are out. My son had an accident at Daycare the other day and I had to take the poor little guy home covered in his own doo because the lame smurfing daycare didn't change him out of it after they called me. I had to cover his seat and had nothing in my car that would do it, but the plastic grocery bag I have carefully folded in my jumbo came to the rescue. I have never once had a need for that bag until this. I now carry that plus a similarly folded full size garbage bag. I carry wet ones and clorox wipes to sanitize public facilities if I have to use them. I know that sounds stupid but it really makes one feel a bit better when a poorly maintained gas station is your only option. Now for survival, the gear would change but I would still have a sanitary way to go to the bathroom.

I also agree with Bullrome about people touching my stuff, hands off!! I had a paint tech at the shop as me to borrow my "survival knife" meaning my Leatherman. I said no, and had to explain to him why I don't lend my gear. He doesn't quite understand but this is the same guy who sharpens his knife with a DA sander.

14. jikkyo

jikkyo Empty Pockets

I'm a gadget kind of guy and I like having these tools on me. I like using them when I need them. Feels good when I have a task at hand and I think to myself "Oh! I have a tool for that!!"

15. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

I NEED things time to time. Sometime it is a knife to cut something, or a screwdriver to (un)screw things ...etc. I am always on the lookout for stuff to help me be "ever-ready".

My pouches and bags have to have tools, miscellaneous junk ( like paper clips, tape, and zipties) . This stuff helps me improvise and solve problems that face me or my loved ones.

That is why I EDC stuff

16. rocky1927

rocky1927 Empty Pockets

I carry a variety of items because if I don't, mother nature will choose that exact moment to hammer me. I probably don't NEED three knives, two flashlights, a P-38 can opener, a leatherman tool,a bic lighter, a firesteel, a 1911 .45 and spare mag plus a back-up S&W model 38 in an ankle holster, but hey! You never know...;D

17. Haffner

Haffner Loaded Pockets

A CountyComm - Pocket Widgy® Pry Bar is highly recommendable...

True, feeling prepared makes me feel comfortable...

18. hollywoodb6

hollywoodb6 Loaded Pockets

Most of the answers in this thread apply to me as well. I have been EDCing for much longer than I've known what it is. For me it boils down to this... Like the kid in the grocery store carrying his toy fire truck, I like taking my toys with me. They comfort me. You never know when the oppurtunity to "play" will pop up.

19. EboniLM

EboniLM Empty Pockets

My main reason to carry: paranoia. Lol, literally, that's it. I'd rather have it and never need it than to need it and not have it...

20. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I carry what I think I need to get through the Day. Along with the Paranoia that I might need something.
    (•͡.̮ •͡ )