1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reasons to EDC things

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Haffner, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Haffner

Haffner Loaded Pockets

Being in a philosophical state of mind, I started wondering why you and I EDC things.:brickwall:

My EDE (every day excuse) to carry something is that it's just practical, but this goes for just about anything.:shrug:
    Using just this criterion, I can easily fill my pockets, pouches, backpack and what have I not, but it won't help me to reduce my selection to the things I really need.

To elaborate :lecture:, I can come up with 4 different EDC reasons:
    1. Frequency of use - things you just here and there - all the time.
    2. Urgency - pieces of kit you perhaps don't need often, but when you do, it's ASAP.
    3. Lack of availability - some things are really hard - if not impossible - to get, when you really need them.
      • Personally, I can list a small, but extensive Wiha System 4 bit & nut driver set here.
        I probably don't use it much more than a few times a year, but it's quite impossible to get anything else that will do the jobs in any proper way.
    4. Pleasure, comfort & inspiration…:yoga:
      Some things just make me feel better ;-)…
      • Recently, there was a pretty good thread about EDC'ing a bible.
        Something to read and inspire you is always a good thing.
      • My favourite knives (610 Rukus straight edge & custom shop SHBA) probably also go into here… :smitten:
        I don't really need them!
      • Jewelry, thanks to parnass. I wear my wedding ring of course.
      • Fragrance. My YSL Pour Homme is said to be rather altmodish, but I stick to my guns.:laugh:
    Btw, for a short time I thought about listing versatility as a reason to carry something, but it's not, I think. Versatility is a quality of a particular item, and it enables this item to fill more needs. But if you don't have those needs, you'll never need the thing, no matter how versatile it is.

:poke:Can you add any further reasons to EDC items?

:poke:Can you add more good examples to the reasons already listed?

Or what do you think...

Best, thoughtful regards,
    Haffner

2. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Honestly, I cant think of any more logical reasons than You have already listed. Like Yourself and most of Us here, I carry a lot of items just "because". I find that on most ordinary days i get by without giving these items a passing thought, but I suppose I subconciously feel better knowing that I have them if needed.

3. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

Why do men have nipples? Just in case....

4. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Pretty much covers it. For me anyway.

5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I use to carry all kinds of gear and stuff "just in case." Then I realized, I never used any of it aside from a few basic items. Everything was generally available to me anyway throughout my day. So I thought, "Why lug all this stuff around in my day-to-day life when I don't need to." Now if I do something out of the ordinary, I plan for it. If something occurs I haven't planned for, well, I've planned for that too. Keep the gear where it needs to be and not on your back.

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

:agree::crackup:

Would you mind sending me a new keyboard, I think I just ruined mine getting my coffee all over it!

:laugh:

7. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

Sorry that I can't send you a keyboard, it should be ok.

8. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

For me, I don't carry much and may not need what I do carry every day. However, I subscribe to the theory " I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

9. daytime dave

daytime dave Loaded Pockets

All good reasons. Me, I carry my edc things because I use them all the time, or I need to carry it all the time in case I do need it.

10. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I EDC because I like to do it! I have always had an affinity for gadgets. I like to hold them in my hand, and admire them. I like to put them to use, especially when it is helping someone who has criticized or made a negative comment on my carrying a pocket knife or having too many "things" on my key chain. Everyone knows that if they need something cut, I have a knife. If they need a light, I have a flashlight. And if they need their beer opened, well I can do that too!

I just don't like people handling my EDC stuff! Hands off!

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Some folks wear jewelry.

I wear a wedding ring. Perhaps that falls under your "inspiration" category, though it is a symbol of a commitment, too.

12. Haffner

Haffner Loaded Pockets

Exactement! How could I forget...:doh:
    If I don't wear mine, I can't think at all, though some would probably say the ring doesn't make much difference. :crazy2:

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Almost all of mine was because I use it. No philosophy, at all, just the stuff that I had to go get over and over again until it became easier just to carry it.

14. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

other reasons

Interesting topic that frequently comes up here at EDCF. Always interesting!

What EDC (Every Day Carry) means is a pretty wide open topic. EMS workers, police, or military carry gear every day on the job, and for pretty different reasons than each other.

And then there's the essential gear you should carry when doing something different than during a week at work... like camping or backpacking. It's not my 'everyday', but I still consider it EDC gear though, because I need to carry it EACH day, I'm out backpacking.

For example I might be out travelling for a few days, my EDC gear is different than what I might be carrying while at work during a regular work week.

15. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

yup thats how it is for me. i think sometimes people think about it to much, edc is simple and natural and has been around since the beginning of mankind.

there are really only 3 reasons to edc which i think every other reason can fall under:

1) carry what you need for the day
    2) carry what you might need for the day
    3) carry what you want for the day

16. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

A succinct summary.

My sig line provides at least a partial explanation of why I carry what I carry.

17. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much sums it up for me too, especially #3. If I don't want it, it ain't goin'.

18. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

This is exactly my reasoning as well. The fact that all the stuff I carry is helpful in my (or someone else's) daily life is just a bonus! ;D If I carried just what I needed, I would have my phone, wallet, and a pack of gum for most days. I carry the rest because I want to, and "preparedness" is a good excuse to fund my gadget addiction.

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Need - I truly believe that I must have it because I have demonstrated, to my self (I don't care what others may say), so I do.

Heed - Someone important to me somehow convinced me that I must carry it (whatever it is).

Greed - "I'd rather have it..." I don't feel to need to quote the remainder of that tired, old adage.

20. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

i only carry things i use on a daily basis. knife, light, MT, phone, wallet. thats pretty much it with a zippo thrown in there sometimes. i have a FAK and more heavy duty tools in the truck.