1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

reasons for carrying a usb?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by slider1585, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Not hard at all. You can get free OS's which you just install on the usb, or you can go ahead and build your own. I would not suggest attempting to build your own, unless you know what to do, how to do it, and why it needs to be done that way etc.

As for carrying a usb, I do purely because I hate hosting my files online. Yes, its easy and I can access from anywhere, but most of the time I work away from a internet source.

2. Ruff_Dog

Ruff_Dog Loaded Pockets

You just find them online and download it and put it on your USB?

3. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I have moved most of my USB drives to music devices. Since I have a F-150 with Sync, I can put music on a USB drive, plug it into the USB port and have music. I'm always rotating music on my phone and I have 3 or 4 USB harddrives that have dedicated playlists. Depending on who's in the truck with me, I likely have something that they would enjoy listening to. I usually keep one USB in my backpack and the rest reside in my truck. Not exactly EDC, but they are available.

4. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

There are a couple of free ones online.

5. Ruff_Dog

Ruff_Dog Loaded Pockets

I see, thanks!

6. Macguy

Macguy Loaded Pockets

Now that I carry an iPad mini, iPhone, and have Dropbox I don't have a need for a USB drive anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Justinicus likes this.
  7. yoitsBUSS

yoitsBUSS Loaded Pockets

I carry around a LOT of Micro SD cards

32gb w/ Bootable Install/backup of my desktop's OS X
    16gb w/ Linux Mint b/c I can't stand using Windows on public computers
    4gb w/ Tails for when I'm pretending to be James Bond
    1gb w/ 20 bitcoins in cold storage that's tucked in a secret shoe pocket b/c I am, in fact, James Bond

32gb w/ all the tracks I DJ and their Ableton/Traktor/Serato files as well as a bunch of mixes
    32gb w/ Movies/TV/Documentaries
    16gb w/ Photos
    4gb w/ Personal documents

I use Truecrypt hidden folders and PGP encryption on text files when necessary. Have a usb reader on the keychain, and will carry a fullsize SD if I have my camera on me.

Anyone have suggestions for a better solution to carrying a ton of Micro SDs than those plastic credit card ones that hold 8? I've looked high and low, and haven't run across a suitable solution yet. I have a feeling that might pop up as a new trend on Kickstarter soon here, one of you metalsmith folks should hop on making a nice one!

8. eagle9516

eagle9516 Loaded Pockets

I carry a 1GB Iron Key and a 1GB nested truecrypt thumbdrive both of which carry scanned images of personal documents when I travel in case I loose the paper ones or they are stolen.

9. EDCNoob

EDCNoob Loaded Pockets

As a teacher I find it very useful. At times I have students who have assignments that are too large to e-mail or upload on to our learning platform so having a USB drive comes in handy. I've also used it during special occassions, like Christmas and wanting the pics off of someone's camera. Rather than them e-mailing everything to me or burning a CD, we just find a computer and do the trade on the spot.

10. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

FYI... For all of us who love the metal Kingston flash drives, they have been discontinued! Once they are gone, they are gone. Best Buy is selling the 16gb ones for like $10. I am on the search for a 64gb one. There were a couple 1,000 made. The 32gb one is no longer in stores, so u need to get online before one for good.

Always seems like the best stuff is always short lived.

[​IMG]

If anyone finds a site selling real 64gb ones (not eBay) please message me link!

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

11. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

Honestly, the frequency for needing a USB is almost nil - but those times do come and when they do, you can't imagine how glad you are to have one with you.

I used to have a Sandisk cruzer contour - such a beautiful thing, but I lost one twice that I decided it wasn't worth carrying one around - if its that easy to forget.

[​IMG]

I now have an 8GB blade for my keyport along with the rest of my keys - because I NEVER forget my keys.

[​IMG]

This is how I accomplish always having one with me without the annoyance of having a separate object which you don't get to use often enough (to justify its own "space")

As for WHY one would need one, apart from work, study - it could be anything.

I personally pull it out when say at a friends house and they have downloaded some stuff and would like to share it - being able to get it immediately always beats looking for it in the net, etc.

Justinicus and Gambit88 like this.
  12. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

I really want a keyport. I'm waiting for them to release the new one and to have the extra funds.

Fukurai and Evilbunny like this.
  13. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

64Gb are on amazon right now. If only they were USB3...

14. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I use it like crazy and my phone loads my pics there and pc syncs at home so I don't worry about transferring them later

15. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

500GB?? how?

16. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

There are specialized OS's that are used for security testing that contain hacking tools if you want to know more message me. Though be warned you can get into legal trouble messing with that stuff.

17. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

I use mine all the time, then again I work for a software company, but I mostly use it for my laptop when at work. I'm getting into photo editing, so I put programs and stuff on there and install them on my laptop when I'm at work. Then move pictures and stuff around. Comes in handy more than you would think.

18. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

I carry a couple. I keep important documents/images scanned and encrypted on them in the event I lose my hard copies or am separated from them and need proof of citizenship, etc. I also store stuff encrypted in the cloud, so it is a redundancy measure for me.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but this article is what encouraged me to get into doing it: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/ht/ht00004.html

19. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

Only time I carried one is when I worked for a company with a very slow network. Other than that I never EDC them. I just use my phone, email, or cloud storage.

20. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

i use it for work all day long from transferring files, to saving data etc. I even download a couple songs here and there and take them home :giggle: