1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

reasons for carrying a usb?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by slider1585, Jan 3, 2011.

1. slider1585

slider1585 Loaded Pockets

i just seen folks carry a usb in their edc, i was just wondering what info would one have on there?

work, school, personal info that may be encripted, well the list can go on.

i have one and carry one but i have never seen the need to use it, (yet anyways)

i guess i still carry it for the james bond feeling it gives me.

just a random thought

Katjang1 likes this.
  2. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I use mine mainly to back up email, contacts, bookmarks and some pdf documents.

3. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

I've had a university FTP folder for so long, I've been living in the cloud since they became affordable. With services now like Dropbox, I see them as bulk.

VKX and SAKplumber like this.
  4. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

I carry several with me. One on my keychain and 4 or 5 in my computer bag. I use them with work all the time to transfer files from computer to computer and to get files to other people. I have had several break at the point where they attach to a split ring so they are just with me as back ups. But I keep some often used programs and files on them so I don't have to transfer them from my computer to the drive when I need them.

5. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple with me, all loaded with PortableApps. From the productivity stuff like Q10(distraction free notepad) to Baldur's Gate II, I'm good if I ever go somewhere without my own computer.

6. Buster Bodine

Buster Bodine Loaded Pockets

The stereo in my pickup truck has a USB port for MP3s. It also has a CD player but I've literally never even put a CD in it to find out if it works. Why mess with CDs? A cheap 2gb flashdrive will hold almost 1000 songs.

7. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

Very true. You can also load one with music, pictures and movies and play all the media on newer LCD and Plasma TVs. Most have one or two USB ports these days.

8. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

one interesting variant i read (and that i consider testing) is getting one of those extra small micro-sd readers, and perhaps one of these, rather then a thumbdrive.

9. benjisimon

benjisimon Loaded Pockets

I do something similar.

I carry around an extra Micro SD card in one of these: elago Nano II USB

It's absolutely tiny.

I then use a Micro-SD to SD card adapter for my camera (which takes SD cards).

The result is that I'm always carrying:

• A card reader which will let me view my camera or cell phone SD card on any computer with a USB
    • A backup memory card for either my phone or camera
    • A thumb drive (with both utility software, as well as encrypted personal documents - like a copy of my passport and other important documents)

For the size and cost, you really can't go wrong.

10. muddydogs

muddydogs Empty Pockets

I carry one with my documents folder and all my pictures, resized of course, off my computer. I use truecript to secure the data as there are pdf's of my tax forms and stuff. Its my backup to my computer in case a house fire or other event destroys my laptop and backups at the house.

11. mfmendiola

mfmendiola Empty Pockets

carrying a USB serves as a back up to all my files at work....

12. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

This might be going a bit far, but I carry an entire operating system with me at all times. I work on a LOT of other people's computers, so I built a unique system that fits nicely on a 32gb drive that is bootable. That way, I always have my applications, files and preferences locked and loaded so I can work on that while using another person's system. It has worked wonders for me and saved oodles of time when attempting to fix other people's systems.

I also feel that it is necessary to carry a physical USB stick with you at all times...instead of relying on cloud computing. I am into survivalism as well (I know that not all on this forum are, but I am) and I don't trust the cloud to stay up in times of emergencies. Carrying a USB stick is far more "secure" than relying on the clouds.

Crew, dcmassena, Pittcom and 2 others like this.
  13. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

As the IT person for everyone I know (almost) I carry a "doctor bag" usb all the time. Use it constantly.

Sent from my A854

keeper likes this.
  14. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

Very good idea. What kind of 32GB drive are you using for this?

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have been planning on filling one with a backup of various pieces of important data - based on the thought that should something happen to my house or items I am carrying, I will have some form of backup.

So things like a scan of my passport, drivers licence, images of my more valuable possessions (and serials) incase of theft or damage, etc... Load truecrypt on the drive and you can keep everything nice and secure.

Also planning on loading my xbox character on it too - I don't own an xbox, but have played friends enough to mae it worthwhile creating an avatar for myself to keep track of achievements in games and so on - stick it on a USB and you can run it wherever you are.

Alongside that, it is often handy to have about for backing up data on the move, transferring files between computers/people and so on. I know I carry one at work loaded with a few images and files for testing the machines we use.

nargalzius and Y.Tribe like this.
  16. Rigged

Rigged Empty Pockets

This is exactly what I do as well. For the exact reasons. One too many times I needed to transfer music files or pictures to a computer and had no way to do it. This like a multitool for storage devices.

17. slider1585

slider1585 Loaded Pockets

well i guess that sums up the question.

is there a list of personal info one should have loaded and encrypted on there

copy of birth certificate, driver license, insurance forms?

if you was to do this what would be your list for emergencies

18. Reloc8

Reloc8 Loaded Pockets

I carry one because of the fairly few but very very annoying times when I didn't have one and it would have made my life easier if I did - e.g. giving a presentation - carry copy on USB so I can overcome email failure/wifi breakdown/bluetooth problem all at the same time. I also recall needing to deliver quite literally crucial information which I had compiled on my laptop which chose that moment to not want to communicate with anything outside of its own *** and being able to transfer via USB drive to an alternative CPU made all the difference in the world.

The convenience factor of carrying one is pretty huge, there is basically no downside on cost or size/weight. If you have anything to do with carrying data/programmes/apps around at all, or this would be a useful facility for you, I would say you are leaving yourself short without carrying one. Not as an alternative to using the cloud - which I do myself and love the convenience, but just for those situations where it all stops working for ya and you need info which is either on computer A and has to get to computer B, or where info you hoped was received was not, and you have a backup copy on your flash drive.

I don't use mine currently for storing scans of personal docs - but I might look into this. I would want very convincing encryption in place before I would use for this purpose.

19. lazybusinessman

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

i have one on my keys just for files. nice to have if i need it and its small enough that i dont even notice it.

20. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

I recently discovered the Corsair Survivor series of drives. I bought a 32gb GT model originally, but you know how these things go...I now have two SurvivorGT 32gb, and one 64gb SurvivorGTR. These things are as rugged as they come: waterproof, crushproof, almost entirely indestructible. Check them out - I HIGHLY recommend them. Oh, and the transfer rate is spectacular.

http://www.corsair.com/usb-drives/flash-survivor/flash-survivor.html

It looks like they only have an 8gb and a 16gb in the Survivor GT series. I'm sure that you could find the 32gb online somewhere...