1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reasonably Priced Gun Safe...your opinions please!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jeff Sprankle, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE="Jeff Sprankle, post: 2626652, member: 46323".... I live in Houston and .....[/QUOTE]

Definitely need moisture control inside of your safe. Make sure you have an electrical outlet nearby for a Golden Rod or something like it. I had use 2 lbs of rechargeable silica gel in my safe before, but it was such a pain to microwave it every two, three weeks.
    Is it true that some fire protection safe give out moisture inside the safe to keep it cool. I remembered reading this in some manual that come with the safe itself. There were warning about not storing rustable metals and valuable papers on the stickers. My Infos might be outdated so do your own research.
    Ps. I was right!
    http://www.deansafe.com/fire-ratings-in-home-safes-and-gun-safes.html

Last edited by Adam Ng, Apr 6, 2017
    #21 Adam Ng, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Blackheart likes this.
  2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I've heard of people using a plain, old incandescent light bulb or two, also.

Adam Ng likes this.
  3. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

May be on a timer to conserve energy, plus you can see better inside. Win win!

4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

This was probably a pretty good safe. They're known as "knock-down" safes, and they allow more sturdy parts in much more manageable pieces. They go together from the inside so they're very secure.

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Under a flight of stairs is an excellent location for a safe.

And, as another stated, weight isn't really so much of an issue in a home as much as injury or damage from moving one is.

Bolting one down on an upper floor can be "fun" though (i.e. a challenge, or "opportunity" as some might put it).

6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Also, remember, you don't really want a safe out in plain sight if you can avoid it. An exposed safe like that is just an invitation for trouble.

7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

From a weight perspective, any location in a modern home should be fine. Even more so if you set the safe up against a load bearing wall. Unless you're talking about a safe in excess of 1,500 lbs or so, everything should be fine.

Adam Ng likes this.
  8. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I got my "small'ish" 10 gun safe at Sam's Club right after Christmas last year. Seems well made. Nothing fancy about it. It holds my 4 long guns and 5 pistols with room for other stuff. I even had room to give 1 shelf to my wife for whatever she wanted to put in it.

9. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Yup! I had worked for this place that have four 1000lbs safe along one wall on the second floor office for years. When I came along I did braced them to the wall for earthquake preparation. Why 4? They store different products in different safes and also have different accessibility for different workers.

10. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I bought a Cannon gun safe from Home Depot. Free Delivery. Cannon has an american lifetime warranty. I think its a really good quality safe and it was like $700 so pretty good deal.

11. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have an upright liberty 24 gun safe I picked up at a local hardware chain. I think I got them down to $350 for it.

It keeps the firearms from curious hands, and is fire rated. If someone wanted to steal them, it will slow them down, I have insurance and video. Nothing is totally secure, but it is better than a sheet metal cabinet.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  12. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

If you buy a safe and hide it (I like the understairs idea) think about getting one of those cheapo sub 100 dollar metal gun cabinets and leaving it out in the open in a semi obvious area. Put a few hammers and a brick or 2 in it, maybe a crowbar. Don't bolt it to the floor. That way if a thief sees it he will either steal the whole thing or take some time trying to break into it. I was thinking about getting one and discreetly welding the door shut so it would really be hard to break into. An exploding bag of ink would be a fun bobby trap too... Decoy and hiding beats security ever time.

Adam Ng likes this.
  13. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Most burglars are not entering your home equipped to deal with a safe .. I am not talking about most burglars. I am talking about the ones who 1. already know or are confident you have a gun safe. 2. The ones who broke into your home previously, ransacked the place and come back a year later prepared to deal with your safe.

There are cheap :censored: safes that you can kick/stomp a few times and get into it but I am not talking about those safes. When it come to a $500 or $1500 safe, it really doesn't much matter when it comes to lithium powered cutting tools. If a person wants a safe.. great, get a decent one. I simply see no reason not to use a much lighter more adaptable cabinet that doesn't weight 800lbs. Its not a money issue its a user friendly issue.