1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Realskinwallets.com Brown Shark Skin Wallet

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Beneficial, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

There is a new company called RealSkinWallets.com and someone on here had mentioned that they made really nice exotic wallets. I had to order one immediately as i've recently become addicted to wallets. It was hard to decide which one to get. I was deciding between crocodile or shark. They didnt have the color I wanted in Shark so i contacted the owner and he told me they had one that was exactly what I wanted, a billfold with tough stitch and no id flap. The price was $45 plus 9$ shipping. The company is based in Bangkok, Thailand so it took exactly 2 weeks to get here. Although I just received this wallet today (so long term observations obviously cannot be made), I feel that I can at least give a good first impression of the wallet.

Packaging:
    The wallet came in a nice bubble mailer with a picture of a lil guy with a big smile holding a package. On the inside was a plastic zip baggie. Inside of the plastic baggie was a felt bag with which the wallet fit perfectly.`

[​IMG]

Stitching:
    The stitching along the edges is top notch, very tight and looks like it will hold up for a few lifetimes. The stitching on the inside is also tight and even. I specifically ordered "Tough Stitch" but you can also get the normal stitch.

[​IMG]

Fit And Finish:
    The leather has a very very good fit and finish to it. Considering this is the only wallet like this, there isn't much to compare with so i can only compare it to my wallets that i have now. By far this one blows everything else out of the water. This was made within the last month and when i pulled it out of the package i could actually smell the leather and dyes. The coffee brown color is even and shows off the pattern of the shark skin well.

[​IMG]

Design:
    So as I mentioned, I specifically wanted this kind of wallet, but there are other designs and the owner can work with you to get you what you want. I hate all ID flaps and do not need alot of card slots (as can be seen in pic) so really what I wanted was just a place to put my money and that's it. This is a strictly basic bifold design which makes it very thin with nothing in it. The coffee brown on the outside with light brown on inside contrasts very well. Besides the 6 card slots, there are also 4 secret compartments (2 on each side) behind the card slots.

[​IMG]

Materials:
    Shark skin exterior and interior with calf trim and polyester lining on bill compartment. The owner told me he recently moved to polyester lining in bill fold because he was using bison and it made the wallets very bulky. Some people do not like polyester but i find it makes the wallet very light. Next to my snakeskin wallet it is not much heavier and that's the lightest wallet I have ever owned. I am thinking of buying a crocodile wallet from him which has bison lining but the wallet looks considerably larger in thickness and i'm not looking for a pocket bomb. Shark skin is said to be 7-12x stronger than cowhide which is why I chose it.

[​IMG]

Overall impression is very good considering the quality put into this wallet and the price ($45). I would definitely order another wallet from him and I hope you would consider it also. Usual price for a shark skin wallet which isn't even this good is $70-90. He has recently upped each wallet by $2 and offered free shipping, guess I missed that boat.

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks very nice. Can I have your cash? ;)

3. billy the squid

billy the squid Empty Pockets

Hi Beneficial,

I think it may have been my posts on the stingray thread were you found realskinwallets (Interested-in-getting-a-stingray-wallet.?)

After reading you're detailed review I think I'll "bite the bullet" and order one of their Stingray wallets, probably this one.

http://www.realskinwallets.com/polished-stingray-wallet-shagreen.html

I will let you know know if it lives up to the quality of your shark!!

I've been looking for a polished stingray wallet for ages but was worried about buying online and being disappointed when it arrived. But feel more confident after reading your post.

Thanks...

4. Beneficial

5. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

I can't find anything on their site about where they source the skins from which is worrying.

6. DYatesPhoto

DYatesPhoto Loaded Pockets

They come in great white? lol

7. autopoint

autopoint Loaded Pockets

Each page for individual shark wallets say, "All our shark leather comes from commercially farmed or sustainable resources." I haven't found any independent reviews.

8. billy the squid

skin origins

Have sent an e-mail of to the site to see what they say.

But from what I can see online if the shark or in my case stingray leather is from a non-endangered or non-threatened species there is no problem.

I can't imagine that shark are farmed though?

I read on another site I was looking at (can't find now) that the shark meat is eaten and other parts used.

9. billy the squid

Had a reply from them over the weekend. Pretty much what I thought, no problems with non-threatened species.

They did however concede that sharks aren't farmed!! this was a mistake and has been changed on the site.

Looking fwd to receiving my stingray wallet, should be here sometime this week ;)

10. QED

QED Empty Pockets

Hi beneficial.
    Reading the thread, you got 2 wallets from these guys?
    Whats the other one like? I am looking at one of there croc wallets (the big croc tail one).

I'm a bit wary about buying online though.. I emailed another site and it took them 4 days to reply, which put me right off. Is there customer service anygood?

11. billy the squid

my stingray wallet arrived from realskinwallets and I'm wrapped :)

The quality is faultless with really tidy stitching and very nice leather interior with a nice grain and that lovely "new leather smell".
    Best of all is the stingray skin itself. It's so smooth and feels great, weird that it's hard like stone but soft and supple at the same time!

They say that stingray skin is waterproof, fireproof and puncture proof!! however I won't be putting that to the test by throwing it in a river setting fire to it or stabbing it, just nice to know that it will probably be OK if any of those things happen ;)

Tried to get some pics on here but was a bit of a pain so better to have a look here http://realskinwallets.com/stingray-wallet.html mine is the polished shagreen stingray.

Did you get your second wallet Beneficial? as good as first?

And QED yes their customer service is good but more importantly their wallets rock!!

12. QED

QED Empty Pockets

Heya billy

Thats good to hear, I'm gonna go for one of their croc wallets, let you know how it turns out :)

13. Beneficial

QED - i would suggest going with the 87$ croc wallet. The features of it are much more appealing. Of course if you want the hornback features then the others are better. The owner (Peter) will answer any questions you may have.

Billy - i am glad you enjoy it. Stingray skin looks cool.

I did receive my other wallet and am thinking of doing a review on it but is that necessary?

14. QED

QED Empty Pockets

Heya Beneficial
    I was torn between this croc wallet and the big croc belly you mentioned but after going over their site, I'm leaning towards this ostrich wallet. I read that ostrich leather has more oils in it which helps to preserve it. It's also meant to be pretty expensive so at under $90, I think this is a good deal.

I liked your review on the shark wallet, it'd be interesting to read one on your lizard wallet for no other reason than looking at the pictures ! :laugh: Think its hard to get an idea what something really looks like with stuff bought online when their pics are made up in Photoshop or professionally tweaked:mad:

15. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

wow, those are some very nice wallets, for very nice prices.

i wish he made smaller versions.