1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Really? Pencils and pens are dangerous? A teacher tried to ban them from school

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by photomic, Nov 28, 2010.

1. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

2. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

man, where is the world going?
    I think cellphones and videogames are much more ndangerous...
    Maxx

3. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I can tell you from first hand experience that pens (and, one would assume, pencils) can be pretty effective imporovised weapons.

however, banning them from schools strikes me as completely impractical. I would compare it to banning guns from a shooting range, or banning skateboards from a skate park. sure, you can do it, but you would destroy the point of anyone going there.
    so while it would be safe, it would also be pointless.

4. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

I know but why don't we ban most of the existing things then?
    let's give a better education or harder penalties and things may get better
    banning is not a solutions, start where the problem rises

Maxx

5. brundlefly

brundlefly Loaded Pockets

Ridiculous. Trying to ban something because it can be used as a makeshift weapon is pointless, especially when you consider that pretty much anything can become a weapon. Pick up your chair, it's a bludgeoning weapon. Textbook? Whacking weapon. You might as well ban everything and teach in a padded room with soothing pastel coloured upholstery on the wall.
    Mankind has had a propensity for violence ever since monkeys started whacking each other with sticks and there's no reversing that. I do wonder whether it is a real problem in this teacher's classroom that kids are using pens and pencils as weapons or is she just paranoid. Probably she just can't control her students.

[​IMG]

*sigh* Too tired and grumpy, must sleep ;D

6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Clearly, that 'teacher' is mentally unstable and should not be allowed children.

If I lived nearby, I'd send a case or two of pencils over.

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Yeah... LOL

I might be tempted to make a crossbow out of some too though :D

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I got stabbed with a pencil in elementary school just like every other kid. Usually occurred by accident and you where left with a chunk of pencil lead in your arm.

9. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

SHHHHHHH don't tell the TSA

10. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

What, you've never heard that the pen is mightier than the sword?

In all seriousness...pens and pencils can be effectively used as deadly weapons. G. Gordon Liddy stated in an interview years ago that his favorite weapon was a pen (or pencil, I forget which). This just underscores the absurdity and futility of the passenger screenings...anyone who wants to do harm can use almost any common everday item to injure or kill. Will a pen/pencil to the eye or throat be less effective than a box cutter? Can the unwound spring from a standard ballpoint pen be wrapped around a pen in one hand and a pencil in the other, to create an effective garrote?

The capacity for violence lies not within the object, but the creativity and intent of the individual.

Tim

11. kimsalls

kimsalls Loaded Pockets

I still have the lead mark in my finger 30 years later.

12. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Well, she wasn't banning them from school, just banning the students from bringing their own in.

"Students would no longer be allowed to bring writing implements to school. It said pencils would be provided for students in class and any students caught with pencils or pens after Nov. 15 would face disciplinary action for having materials "to build weapons."

I like this part of the article.

"I'm just wondering what the hell was going on in her head, what's the difference between pencils and pens students bring from home and the one she'd have to supply?"

Having the materials in one thing, that's anyone. Knowing how to make weapons is another, these are creative people. The character and discipline to use a tool properly is something a teacher should be able to impart to his or her students.

13. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I can't say that I've never made a pen or pencil into a makeshift weapon. Not a very good one, but fun ones.

Pencil:

Used as a projectile by placing a rubber band in your hand and flinging it across the room at someone. Sharpen for greater effect.
    Used as a rubber band gun. Place the rubber band on the eraser part and fling the rubber band across the room.
    Pull off the eraser and set it aside for a moment. Cut out a disk in your 3 subject notebook. The dividers work best. Fold the disk in half two ways then open up and use the folded guides to form into flights. Press a needle in the center then through the eraser. Makes a dart.
    And of course you can stab someone in the eye.

Pen:

The older clicky pens could be made to shoot things out of them. You could half the pen and take the guts out. Take the plastic piece and put the spring on it then put the other plastic piece on it. Slide it back in then crimp the plastic on the pen with your teeth. Load it up and put the silver thing on it and crimp it so that it will allow movement.

On the barrel pens you can of course shoot spit balls, but cut off the aglet on your shoe lace and fray out the strings. Press a needle in the aglet and you now have another needle. Now instead of a spitball shooter you have a blowgun.

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Going on the fact I know more than one person who still have small lumps of pencil lead imbedded in them years after (accidentally or not) being stabbed with a pencil probably does show them as dangerous enough in the right hands, and add in a few rubber bands, a paperclip or two and some paper and you can construct yourself quite a mighty projectile weapon.

Somewhat more realistically though, classing pens and pencils as dangerous sound somewhat extraneous and silly unless she teaches in a bare padded room - sure you can injure someone stabbing them with a pencil, but you can also do rather a lot of damage with a chair, or a heavy book, or any of about a million other items around any classroom. Quite what the teacher wanted to get out of this demand other than ridicule is beyond me...

15. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

16. pilsnerman

pilsnerman Loaded Pockets

Control of an enviorment they do not have control over . This teacher must have had some thing happen with a pencil in there class . So as we have seen before knee jerk reaction, send out a notice to the parents seting up a ban and see if anyone complaines and if not then all is good and safe and they belive they will have the problem solved and they are in control of the students.

Just a thought what kind of class enviorment must this Teacher be in that would require such a response ??

17. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Massachusetts...kind of says it all.

Typical pathetic liberalism at its worst. Just think of all the things she taught those young minds that were NOT part of the school curriculum.

I suppose if she ever needed the police she would tell the 911 dispatcher to send an officer WITHOUT his/her firearm. No reason for any violence you know. She is sheep and doesn't even know it!

18. Tombstone

Tombstone Loaded Pockets

I'll be her next move is: "Your head can be used as a weapon, don't use it!"

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'd revoke her teaching license, and kick her out on her hoplophobic butt. (She gives credibility to the belief that hoplophobia actually is a mental disorder.)

20. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

more likely

she either heard about "tactical" pens or some smart-*** kid actually brought one to class and explained what it was in lurid detail. This would explain her lack of fear of teacher supplied writing instruments, albeit she's still pretty thick. However, given that it's Mass., controlling the means of production for the good of all must never be far from the mind of anyone with authority...