1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality of carrying.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I got an Alien gear ankle rig with shape shifter holster.. my pockets are now free for more EDC gear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I live in FL. I conceal carry a full frame Glock 22, IWB, appendix. I have no problems with it and it's comfortable.

jkwithawave likes this.
  3. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I have sciatica which can limit my mobility, so like you, I plan a lot. But I’m also a former cop so I look for things that could go sideways and have a exit strategy in place before committing. Its all about observation.

4. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

subjects, they are subjects that's all, UK rather please the muslim population, instead of their own.

kukla likes this.
  5. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

England is gone!
    It's a good thing we got the heck away from them when we did.
    Now we just have to be vigilant to preserve what we have, as the liberal left is trying as hard as it can to turn us into the equivalent of modern day England.

nosuchagency and Glock1097 like this.
  6. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

Your "reality" is different than mine, I live in FL and wear shorts and t-shirts pretty much year around, that being said I don't like pocket carry and I have no use for small pistols. I carry a mid or full size OWB almost all the time with no issues at all. On rare occasions I'll carry IWB but that is getting very rare. I never pocket carry and rarely carry anything smaller than a CZ 75D PCR.

jkwithawave likes this.
  7. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

SmartCarry has been my primary holster for about 10 years - highly recommended. I have worked & do work in environments where IWB is not an option.

I have successfully used my SmartCarry with:
    SIG P245
    Ruger SP101 DAO
    SIG P230
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W M&P Shield 9

No matter how many people say, "No one notices good IWB," the people I've worked with would. As an option, I am experimenting with a CrossBreed AIWB and an UltiClip. We'll see how that goes.

HardToHandle likes this.
  8. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

My current CCW EDC rotation.
    Kimber Compact Gen 1 .45 ACP
    S&W Shield 9mm
    S&W 642 .38 Special

[​IMG]

#108 weklund, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Ben bigwood and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  9. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Nice kydex for your rotational load-out! Kimber rocks, dude!

[​IMG]

10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

just a comment... the heat and associated humidity this summer has been brutal...but to temper this idea, I don't really spend that much time outside, mostly in air conditioned locations.... I've been able to wear a nylon cape back fishing shirt as a cover up for my G43 in an IWB Tulster... and don't get much notice from LEOs...

attended Homecoming football game Friday and really felt "naked" without it :)

11. todo58

todo58 Empty Pockets

Kahr PM 45 [​IMG]

I decided to ditch my 380 LCP . It was convenient to pocket carry but in reality would it do the job if I actually called upon it. For me I decided it wouldn't. I went on a quest for the smallest lightest .45 I could find, and I came up the Kahr PM .45 . I wear it OTW in small pancake holster. Even with only a T shirt covering it prints very slightly. With a Tshirt and a dress shirt unbuttoned, it disappears. The difference in confidence carrying a 380 vs a .45 is huge.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

You’ll have to give us a range report! I’ve been looking at one of these lately and am concerned about recoil for fast follow up shots. My current carry gun is a CM9.

13. todo58

todo58 Empty Pockets

I've shot it plenty. Recoil is not an issue for multiple shots on target. The good thing about a 45 is multiple shots on target may not be required. Here is a pic of my actual well used Kahr [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. todo58

todo58 Empty Pockets

Kahr PM .45 (top) compared to a 9mm Glock 26. For me it's a no brainer which to carry[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I too am a retired cop with sciatic nerve damage. I guess it's a fairly common ex-cop ailment . I no longer carry behind the hip regardless of the holster type, too painful. Front pocket carry for me and as such I wear Cargo pants or dockers in cooler weather and Cargo shorts when its hot. My 642 disappears in the pocket.

weklund and charlie fox like this.
  16. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Not everyone only edc items frequently needed/used. For some, edc is also about being prepared for the “just in case”. A gun, just like a trauma kit, is an item that may never be needed but if needed may just save my life or the life of a loved one. That reason alone makes it worth having and carrying.

twin63 likes this.
  17. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

Here is a different thought on the subject. I spent 25 years in law enforcement. I carried a gun or two every day. I live in a tropical climate. I mostly worked in plain clothes and for a few years in an undercover capacity quite often. When not doing something like serving a warrant etc. when the gun would likely not be needed it rode in my brief case or my desk drawer. These days as a retired officer I leave it in my bag or hanging on the corner of my bed in a holster. You are much much much much much more likely to survive everyday life without a gun. As the op made clear without realizing it. He got old living in a "high crime" area without ever firing a shot. I would bet in the new locale that will be the case also. We all like guns, and as far as I am concerned they should only ever be used to target shoot or in the most dire of times in self defense. The gun industry likes to sell guns and today way more people than need to "carry" a gun are doing so. Most gun people will call what I just wrote blasphemy but my experience says the opposite. Most people carry because they want to plain and simple. As long as they do it responsibly that is their right, but the reality is that it just ain't necessary if you just use common sense. Carrying a handgun concealed in extreme hot weather is a challenge and you have to be dedicated and that dedication is hard to achieve without a serious need. An ankle holster was always the most effective and discreet form of carry under these circumstances for me and is still the way I carry on my body when I do most of the time. I edited this post to add this. I made hundreds of arrests during my time in the barrel. Today I live and move among and run into people I arrested quite often. I always treated everybody the same, it was not personal even in the most serious cases I was serving the public and I treated it as such. I never feel unsafe because even the ones who were nasty respect me because I respected them and I am rarely armed when out in public.

Last edited by wanderer16, Feb 13, 2019
    #117 wanderer16, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    jkwithawave and DSRacing like this.
  18. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

While “common sense” and having ones wits about them still serves to avoid most situations. The increasing lack of value on human life and self responsibility has greatly increased the “randomness” factor for the violence and where it lands in our current society. A few recent high profile examples illustrate you never know where, by whom and the police can’t always be there when you need them the most.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

Chances of being hurt or killed in a violent crime are less than getting struck by lightening. Just keeping it real. I will be glad when they come up with something we can carry that will negate that more dangerous threat. After all it can strike with no warning whatsoever. Scary stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets