1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality of carrying.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017.

1. JN01

JN01 Loaded Pockets

True, but most of those rely on brute strength and/or physical skill to be effective. The beauty of the gun is that it provides an equalizer for those who have neither.

surefire7 and Glock1097 like this.
  2. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

So again, I ask the question, which got no replies.
    Why is the conversation on "The realities of carrying" dominated by those that can not ?

K

Glock1097 likes this.
  3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Because the majority of society who are completely ignorant to anything about firearms automatically think: Guns = scary, bad, kill, evil, must get rid of.

MCPOWoller and Glock1097 like this.
  4. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

It is ironic so many non-carriers are commenting. I agree with Tromba too. But furthermore, most who are ignorant about the realities of carrying, are surrounded by others with the same misunderstandings. People who know me, know I carry and am responsible so they understand that chaos and panic will not ensue simply because I have a gun concealed on my person.

5. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Those that don't trust themselves to carry should stick to harsh language and cardio.

Glock1097 likes this.
  6. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Cardio is important even if you carry... Consider a CCW as the starter pistol for the fat man's 100yd dash.

There really isn't any reason to stay where you may take opposing fire. :D

huntnow likes this.
  7. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I can't run too far anymore. I pushed it in my youth and damaged by T4-T5, C, abcd... broken/dislocated humerous, ~25% on each knee.. So now I gotta plan my entrance and egrees routes before going anywhere.. I avoid crowds, I avoid those parts of neighborhoods that people tell me I'm noty nice for avoiding even though there's lots of chalk outlines that just won't rub off..

8. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

It's illegal to carry a knife or pepper spray or anything else intended for self defense in the UK.
    So you believe people have the right to defend themselves, but only with their hands and feet, even when their attackers are larger, stronger, outnumber them, and carry weapons? It sounds like you're hoping for the criminals to win, because under your system that's exactly what happens.

bruno_go and surefire7 like this.
  9. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

I’ve concealed carried daily for 28 years in all manner of weather, including hot, muggy, steaming conditions. This doesn’t make me any kind of expert, but I’ll toss out my practical observations, which go something like this: you can pretty much carry whatever you want if you follow three basic guidelines.

1. Use a real gun belt. This means using one designed to carry the weight of a gun.
    2. Use a holster properly fitted to the gun and the belt. For me, that’s a kydex holster with 1.5-inch belt loops and a sweat shield.
    3. Carry at a location on your body that will work with the kinds of clothes (concealing garments) that you are willing to wear.

I carried a Ruger P90 inside the waist band (IWB) just behind the hip under an untucked shirt, from t-shirt to flannel. Sometimes I still carry it that way. No one ever has noticed.

Most of the time I carry a Glock 19 in just the same way. No one has ever noticed.

Recently I acquired a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm to use other carry options (pocket, for instance) that I can’t pull off with the aforementioned two.

MCPOWoller, CL01, jkwithawave and 2 others like this.
  10. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP II in a DeSantis holster.. only had it for a year, but seems to go unnoticed all day everyday.. why, I'm soaking in it now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MCPOWoller likes this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

No, not at all, I'm all for pepper spray, a baton etc,......with these you have to be 'close up and personal' unlike with a firearm, unlikely that a shopping mall full of people would get killed when a crazy goes on the rampage with either of those,......you get my point?

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

For me, I'm intrigued as to why one would put up with carrying a 'dead weight' 24/7, any other EDC item that rarely gets used tends to get ditched quickly.

13. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

envy COULD be a possibility.

Last edited by kukla, Apr 28, 2018
    #93 kukla, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    HardToHandle likes this.
  14. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

...........so what's wrong with them asking questions, debating, exchanging opinions?
    Some of them CAN'T "participate in the subject of discussion", should that eliminate them from the discussion?
    They should sit on the sidelines with their mouths shut?
    Personally, I like to hear from respectful people from regions of the planet where things are much different from where I live.
    It could just be that they don't have much opportunity to exchange ideas with people of differing ideas where they are located, and limited by their media from any opportunity to expose themselves to those differing ideas.
    Forums such as this can give them a chance to become aware of concepts beyond what they've been fed or forced/encouraged to accept.
    Should students be prevented from asking questions or offering differing opinions?
    Unfortunately, due to liberalism here in the U.S., some might answer that question with a resounding "YES".

Totaled108 likes this.
  15. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

First off for 300 million people mass shootings are rare . There are more people killed with hammers than AR type weapons but that doesn't fit the liberal media's agenda. They also try to bury any story where a legal firearm saved the day. They are still running parkland shooting stories daily . Yet they have not mentioned the Maryland school shooting in days. The facts show that these people doing these mass shootings. Have 2 things in common while committing these crimes. They pick targets where they aren't likely to have to deal with someone else being armed . The surrender or commit suicide if engaged by someone armed

Glock1097 likes this.
  16. Glock1097

Glock1097 Empty Pockets

The reality of carrying legally is simple. Carrying isn’t always comfortable but is comforting. I’ve been doing so for forty-one years. Buy a good belt, holster and soon the weight isn’t really noticeable. Carry the most gun you can accurately shoot. Dress around the gun noting some style may have to be sacrificed. Or you go to a smaller less effective weapon.
    If you don’t want to carry, DON’T! But don’t question me regarding my choice. Growing up, patrolling the streets of Detroit and now being older are my reasons. Car jackings, home invasions and multiple attackers are another. Oh let’s not forget Jihadi attacks, mass shootings and gang violence.
    Carry an effective firearm(or two) and at least one reload or a happy stick!

17. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Carrying responsibly isn't a fad. Firearms aren't fashion accessories. Its a responsibility. Using it to do what its made for doesn't earn you praise or riches, its the opposite.. but you get to live, your family gets to live and everyone learns a valuable lesson that seems we need to tell all the time.
    Also, buying and carrying doesn't make you Rocket Raccoon.. it takes practice and training to develop the muscle memory to use the sidearm effectively. It takes awareness if your surroundings and focus to recognize that a bullet may not stop in the bad guy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HardToHandle likes this.
  18. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

Maybe because that "dead weight" (as you put it) by carrying 24/7 might keep me or my family from been a dead human.

herosemblem and jkwithawave like this.
  19. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

that is so sad

Glock1097 likes this.
  20. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

sad?
    pathetic!
    their country does not respect it's own law abiding citizens.