1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality of carrying.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017.

1. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

Enough said (carrying since 2013).

Telstar likes this.
  2. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

This thread exemplifies a common issue on social media. Those with the most to say have the least knowledge/experience in the subject of discussion.

The topic is "The reality of carrying", yet the majority of respondents either can't or don't carry.

Sorry to say and if you get butt hurt over this, TFB. Be it this or another issue if you don't participate in the subject of discussion you are an outsider and as such, you should sit on the sidelines and observe. This is based on the fact that your opinion has no basis in fact or experience.

k

Telstar and bruno_go like this.
  3. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I, too, have carried some kind of concealed pistol since 1984 in all sorts of climates and weather. When we moved to SC my guns didn’t change, just my holsters and manner of dress (thank goodness they love untucked shirts down here!).

Telstar and MCPOWoller like this.
  4. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

There have been some interesting responses. Most of my years of carrying (About 25) have been in relatively warm climates (Desert & high deserts of SoCal). I still live in a relatively warm area, but I have not experienced the extreme humidity (To me anyways) of the S/E US. Having said that, I carried for sometime a S&W air-weight 442 (AIWB & pocket) on my days off & that was over 20 yrs ago. I then got into carrying a Glock 26 (Pocket & IWB). When Kahr came out with the PM9, I got & carried one of those. I have AIWB & pocket carried that gun with great success. I traded it later on (For a Kahr P45) & then picked up a Kahr CM9 later on (Same size & weight as the PM9). My only issue with small (Subcompact) handguns is that I have large hands & it's more difficult for me to shoot them well vs larger guns. I picked up the S&W Shield because of that (Longer length of pull vs the Glock 43, Kahrs, & the Ruger LCP). I can not imagine how any of the subcompact 9mms would be too difficult to carry wearing only a T-shirt & shorts.

I do have a Kel-Tec P-32 & P-3AT. Of those two, I prefer my P-32 because it has proven to be very reliable. I usually only carry it when in a formal setting & carrying my Kahr or Shield just wouldn't work. However, that has only been on rare occasions & not the norm.

If the gun isn't too big & heavy, you should be able to carry in the lightest of clothes with the "right" holsters & belt.

huntnow likes this.
  5. 223m70

223m70 Empty Pockets

I've carried in both Georgia (hot and muggy summers and freezing cold winters) and central California (hot summers and mild winters). Summertimes in shorts and T shirts I can easily conceal a Smith 642 in either a pocket holster or AIWB or a Shield 9mm AIWB. No discomfort at all with pocket carry and AIWB is reasonably comfortable with the right holster and positioning. Cooler weather and heavier clothing you can conceal just about anything and remain fairly comfortable. In addition to the 642 and Shield I've also carried full size 1911's and Glocks at 3 or 5 o'clock IWB as well as AIWB. AIWB is slightly uncomfortable while sitting for long periods due to the longer barrels of those full sized pistols. But realize that concealed carry is supposed to be comforting not comfortable. Unless you wear skinny jeans and tight, fitted shirts you can easily conceal with normal type clothing (maybe only untucked shirt tails) without resorting to tell tale, mall ninja tactical type clothing.

joshwhoha likes this.
  6. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

If I'm not at work, I'm usually carrying a compact gun outside the waistband with a button down shirt untucked in the summer or an appropriate outer jacket during other seasons in Virginia - we can get three out of four seasons in a single day here. I've never considered it difficult and it's never been uncomfortable for me. Even though I have sub-compacts, I routinely carry a Sig 229 which is on the large size nowadays.

Glock1097 likes this.
  7. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I live in the Phoenix area and 8-9 months a years a tucked in Carhart T-shirt and cargo shorts are the uniform of the day. So, an S&W 642 in my RF pocket is my daily carry. Works for me.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

I added the Europe stats for full context given many abroad (and here) like to compare us to over there as all encompassing. With regards to your "little knife problem," it looks as though the UK has told America "hold my beer..." The proponents of control here fail to realize that we will face a similar fate if they ever get to repeal parts of the outdated document they see fit, as they so eloquently put it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5566689/London-murder-rate-overtakes-New-York-time-including-11-killings-just-16-days.html#ixzz5BdeTXMCg

London murder rate is HIGHER than New York's for the first time ever after TWELVE killings in just 19 days
    • A man has died after being stabbed to death on Sunday morning
    • The victim, thought to be 20, was stabbed after leaving a bar in Wandsworth
    • This marks the 12th murder in 19 days as London overtakes NYC's murder rates

HardToHandle likes this.
  9. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

So, getting caught up on this thread.

Interesting in a thread titled "The reality of carrying" that the majority of respondents either cant, or don't.

If am reading about something I don't do. I listen to those that do.

K

MCPOWoller and Telstar like this.
  10. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

I trade off what I carry, but it depends much more on my mood than whether I think I'll be able to hide the gun more easily. If I carry my Shield vs say my sp2022 it's going to be lighter and "easier to hide" but the reality is I know I'd rather have the full-size pistol if I did need it, which is the point of carrying in the first place, to have something to use to defend yourself with maximum effectiveness, so I almost always take the bigger gun, even using +2 baseplates and I wear whatever clothes I think are comfortable, which isn't usually something overly tight fitting, but even if it IS, I just dont worry about it. 99.5% of people won't notice even if you print a bit, or a lot; just be confident and relaxed and don't fiddle with it every 5 seconds and it won't bug you. Hot weather prevent carrying? Wearing lighter clothing doesn't have to mean tighter clothing. Do you not carry your phone when it's hot out? Or your keys? "But a gun is bigger/bulkier/heavier" well that's true, because it has to be in order to be a gun. The reality of carrying is either you do, or you don't, regardless of weather or attire restrictions. I am not attempting to belittle or be rude to anyone for carrying or not, but the fact of the matter is, a gun has to be big/heavy/bulky/awkward to at least some extent to do it's job, so then the only question is whether or not you can put up with the inconvenience/discomfort; and if you're willing to put up with a little, why not just a little more for a much better/easier to handle gun?

ETA: I read over the thread again and I can absolutely agree with and confirm, while it may perhaps sound backward, an undershirt is more cool and more comfortable, yes, even in very hot and humid environments.

Last edited by joshwhoha, Apr 6, 2018
    #70 joshwhoha, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  11. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I can carry a Glock 20 wearing my usual attire. Cargo pants or shorts relaxed fit tee shirt with a button up shirt untucked over the tee shirt. I don't carry my G20 often but can if I choose to I use an Aliengear cloke tuckable . I do carry a glock 26 in IWB at about 7:30(lefty) or a glock 42 in a pocket holster in left front pocket anywhere I am allowed to carry. Outside of work I don't go places that I can't carry

12. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Houston Texas native. I started carrying the M&P 9mm full size IWB.. but my ever expanding wasit line made that difficult to continue as I am a lowly IT field service technician in a carry prohibitive situation.. I would print like mad..
    Moved to LCP II in DeSantis pocket holster.. I'm on the waiting list for the Alien Gear ankle holster.. trying to minimize what's in my pockets..
    There's a gun shop in Houston called Shiloh SHooting Center, guys used to have a radio show on AM, but must have rubbed political contenders that owned the radio station the wrong way and they were not renewed.. THey are really knowledgeable guys, you should give them a call.. I'm sure there's lots of people around that can help.. ALso, check the Guns over Texas face book page, managed by the Shiloh SHooting center dudes. unless Facebook has flushed all gun talk.. IDK, I nevert visit, usually just go to the shop.

13. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

BTW, there's a product like a tummy tuck belt that lotrs of people use to carry 380 type pistiols while wearing jogging clothes.. I forget the name of the product at the moment but I'll find it and add to this thread later.

14. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

http://www.smartcarry.com/ is one product that fits that description. It's gotten good reviews online, but I haven't tried it as I always carry on my belt, XD(M) 3.8 compact in 9mm, OWB in the winter because a jacket will hide it and it's more comfortable, IWB (Galco King Tuk - highly recommended) with V-clips in the summer when I can't wear a leather jacket.

ETA - I usually carry on my belt. I have a couple of leather vests with built-in gun holster pockets. Sometimes I do carry that way, though I don't prefer it.

Versatek likes this.
  15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

There is no doubt that the UK has it's problems and that is a shocking figure but I'm sure that it would be higher if firearms were freely available here. You'll never stop a crazy using a knife, pencil or whatever against someone but a firearm, semi or fully automatic takes things to a different level.

16. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Perhaps it's just your accent, but I read: We can't stop the crazies, so it's a good thing we disarmed those the crazies target.

17. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Being relatively new to CCW (4-5 years) I still find carrying something I have to consciously think about before, during and even after my day. I try to avoid places where I might need to use my weapon, Walmart late at night for medicine for instance, but if anything life (and military deployments) has taught me is this: You can never be too prepared, tragedy and danger are out there no matter where you might be and finally, my wife and kids depend on me and if it means I have to use deadly force to defend myself, I will. The bad guy chose that, not me.

HardToHandle likes this.
  18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I certainly believe that we should have the right to protect ourselves but I don't think that making firearms easily available to all is a good thing, no.

19. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

What meaning has the right to self protection without the means?

That's like saying you have the right to drive, but cars are illegal.

Glock1097 likes this.
  20. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

There are many ways to protect oneself, mankind found/used these ways many years before any kind of firearm had been invented.