1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality of carrying.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017.

1. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I edc a Sig P224, which is larger than a G26, AIWB in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals all the time. A good holster can make a big difference in how well a gun conceals.

Superdave1 and Glock1097 like this.
  2. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Sig P320c RX on days that end in Y with usually cargo shorts and two t-shirts and at the very least gym shoes. You don’t want to have to make a run for it or maneuver around in shower shoes. Most of the people here don’t carry or just have been carrying long enough to do it well without being spotted.

Texas is a hot state. You knew that before you moved here. You learn to suck it up or don’t carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCPOWoller likes this.
  3. cbbr

cbbr Loaded Pockets

A well fitted kydex ( mine is from a local maker) or a really good hybrid (mine is a Cross Breed Supertuck) make a huge difference. It's hot and humid here most of the time. A good "shorts" belt (Carbon Tactics Titanium Ti Hook) also makes a huge difference as does wearing a polo over a t shirt. The T shirts that I use most often are Haynes X-Temp because they move moisture very well and all of my polo's are wicking. Staying dry is a big part of staying comfortable. I rarely notice the CCW at all.

As for printing, I don't worry about that too much either. I am licensed & legal so no worries there. Pick polos that are loose enough to move a little without looking sloppy and honestly a CCW will disappear. I really think that the people who print (with the right setup of course) are the ones who spend a lot of time worrying about it. If the CCW is "part of you" then you don't act conspicuous.

From a tactical standpoint, I strongly suspect that if I ever need my CCW it won't be to use on someone who has been carefully observing the crowd and picked targets. If they do, I'm dead armed or not being 6'+, in good shape with a close cropped haircut...

4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I perceive a need for heightened awareness during the religious holiday season, and as such recently changed from cargo pocket carry to IWB,,,I'm an old guy at 70, and overweight (which doesn't help trying to hide a pistol), but as such can get away with wearing a pair of suspenders (I use the Perry clip on) with an Uncle Mikes velcro closure under belt... the belt is stiff and thick enough to securely hold the J clips on the DeSantis Slim Tuk or Blade Tech Klipt holsters I'm trying out... the Slim Tuk is adjustable for tension and cant, and has the clips following the holster for a slim package... the Klipt has a protective panel between gun and skin, and easier to re holster.... not sure of which will get the nod... both do a good job of hiding the G43, even with the longer magazine Taran Tactical +2 extension...the suspenders do a good job of carrying the weight... I use a cotton (a little stiffer) Columbia short sleeve fishing shirt as a cover up (unbuttoned)...even better camouflage with the Univ of Florida logo.... Season's Greetings

captainamerica and Glock1097 like this.
  5. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I carry about %100 of the time and have realized if I can carry concealed any of my handguns with the right holster. I used to wear an ankle rig some but started worrying about being able to get my weapon out quickly and no longer use it. I prefer a high rise belt holster but have a couple IWB models that are comfortable too. I have never, and likely won't, carry a weapon in my pocket. I keep one in the pipe and don't like safeties.

captainamerica likes this.
  6. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

Its been quite awhile since I've been on here. :cool:

I'm down in the SE coast of Tejas, and carry a G19 and 2-3 mags most days. I wear shorts & untucked Ts. A good holster is key. I'm pretty much dedicated to Raven Concealment, or Keeper's Concealment kydex.

Durandal64 likes this.
  7. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Why not just not carry everyday?

8. les snyder

follow up... I have decided on a Tulster IWB for the G43 and TT+2 extension... Uncle Mikes velcro under belt and suspenders with a cape back fishing shirt cover up... thanks to the poster that included the pic of the Tulster... I could not find your pic to thank you ... regards

9. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 19 in a RCS Eidolon or a S&W 442 J frame in an IWB from Prince Gunleather. What I carry depends on clothing, weather and need. I' I'm usually in a Tshirt or Columbia PFG button up shirt and jeans or cargo shorts. To fight rust (even in the PNW) I make sure to coat my EDC in a light film of Corosion X or FireClean. Keeps everything happy and I apply it as required. Any surface oxidation is cleaned off the oil reapplied. I buy quality guns and holsters, and a bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Being half Islander I regularly shoot in my "slippahs". I've even taken a shooting class wearing them. My toes were beat up but I made it. I'm a big fan of "run what ya brung".

10. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I live in Phoenix. Our summers regularly reach highs of about 120. I used to carry a P226 in that weather IWB. It’s not comfortable but carrying a gun isn’t supposed to be. Nowadays I have to dress more professionally from time to time which creates the need for my PPS M2 in rotation but off work I carry my P320 Compact. I sold the P226 a while back but even that’s doable, I just prefer compacts at this point because the grips don’t bump into chairs behind my back as much.

11. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Hottest weather: .380 in left pants pocket. 9 or .45 in a shoulder bag with strap diaganol across my chest and lanyard from the bag to my belt.

12. les snyder

had a chance to chrono my (old school) carry ammo... Speer 124 +P Gold Dots... very accurate out of my G43... slowest was 1130fps... I'm pretty happy with the combo...

13. GreatBlueWhale

GreatBlueWhale Loaded Pockets

All things considered, the best weapon is the one you have with you. Carried a Glock 20 for years and moving to a 43 for one reason. I’ll have it on me when I might have left the 20 at home.

14. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

I prefer the ease of carring my mdl. 60 S&W. Comfortable and easily concealed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#34 weklund, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

I live in Florida, probably the most humid and hot state, but I carry a USP Compact or a Sig 239 both in .40, or a 4.25 LW 1911, the smallest gun I carry and that is only recently is an S&W Shield .45 ACP, in the unlikely even that I have to use a hand gun for self defense, I would like something I can efficiently hit the BG with.

16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have wondered that too. To the folks who do, how often have you had to pull the weapon from it's holster, just to scare an attacker maybe? God forbid that you had to actually fire it, again how many times? Doesn't the hassle/weight of carrying it 24/7 far out weigh the amount of times you use it??

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being able to protect ones self but if you live in a country/state that's really like the 'wild west' I'd concentrate on moving to somewhere else.

17. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I had to modify my carry when we moved to SC as summers are long, hot and humid. I carry my Kahr CM9 in a Galco IWB without much issue. My summer off duty wear is mostly shorts and polos (and sandals:cool:) and I’ve found the combination comfortable.

18. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

The idea of brandishing (depends on your state or city) seems like a bad idea to me (I'm not calling you out @earthman, just the idea). If a person is in a verbal confrontation that is escalating and then produces a firearm, the opposite result may occur. "What, you gonna shoot me?! DO IT!!!" Now what? Words and body language didn't work earlier. I bet 5 bucks they don't work now. Let's say it does though. Now the other party has backed off. To a new observer you are an aggressive person flashing/holding a gun.

As a long term CCW holder, it is my job to be an asset, not a liability to myself and the people around me. That means Handgun classes and self defence courses from Massad Ayoob, Chris Costa, and Marty Hayes. I cannot understand why soooooo many CCW holders never take a class or more instruction (besides the mandatory requirement) on the legalities of CCW. It's like getting your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license and thinking it makes you John McGuinness.

19. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

I really would like a holster like this one for my 617.
    Can you tell us more about it?

20. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've lived in the UK all my life so gun ownership/carry/using a weapon to protect one's self is something that is alien to most us Brits I'd say, I understand that most of you folks in the USA have a different outlook on this subject but doesn't the hassle/inconvenience of EDC'ing an handgun out weigh the times you have actually used it in a self defense manner?? And like you've just said, even brandishing that hand gun may not be a good idea in the end.

If I lived in say one of the more rural States, one where there's a chance of being attacked by a bear or crocodile etc, sure I'd want to EDC an handgun for protection, I'd feel more comfortable with that than relying on a bear spray product to work for example. I'd still hate to be put in that situation, to have to kill an animal,.....firing at fellow humans seems totally unnatural to me too.

Durandal64 likes this.