1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality of carrying.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

In 2015, the better half and I moved from Maryland to Texas. The move was prompted by the usual retiree needs, warmer climate and proximity to family and wanting to get away from the congestion and crime and pollution of the Washington D.C.area. My better half and her sisters are all from down here, so the better half said she wanted to be with her sisters in her later senior citizen years. Most of my family is gone so it was a no brainier. Sunny warm Texas here we come.

One of the very first things we did on setting on the new house was, take the course and get our license to carry. Living in the Peoples Republik Of Maryland, our second amendment rights were not possible. Now, getting up in the morning is an exercise of the 2d. Pants on, keys, wallet, gun, cell phone.

But, carrying a gun in a warm to hot climate I found out is a genuine :censored:. From mid spring to mid fall, 6 months of the year, it's hot and uniform of the day is shorts, loose shirt and Keen sandals. I had a Glock 26 and in two years in Texas it got carried twice. Even the so called baby Glock, was just to blocky and bulky for pocket carry. And pocket carry is the only real way to carry in a hot Texas summer.This means a small gun. Ruger LCP size or smaller. Maybe an air weight S&W J frame at 12 ounces.

But most of all, my everyday carry gun, and I do mean really everyday no matter what, has been my little companion of 34 years. My North American Arms mini .22 revolver. Even in nylon cargo shorts and T-shirt, it's easy to pack in a DeSantis pocket holster. Yes, it's a bit on the light side, but for arms length it's okay. The Glock has been sold and I may eventually get a LCP or small KelTech, but carrying a gun everyday in Texas can be a problem because of light clothing. And being retired, I am not going to dress around my gun.

In the close to two years I've been here, I've yet to see more than 2 people open carrying, even though it's been legal. I see shorts and T-shirt as the uniform of the day 6 months of the year, and most times the T-shirt is tucked in, so no IWB carry there. I can only assume that in spite of people claiming to carry this or that gun of the month, most people are sticking to the pocket size sub compact guns. Ruger LCP's are the hot seller here according to the gun shop folks. I may go that direction. But I think five CCI stingers would ruin some low life day. I've made a habit out of watching people to see what they may be carrying.

Dress code here is VERY casual once people are off work. Shorts, T-shorts and sandals of either Teva, Keen, or flip flops variety. At public functions like the Georgetown Friday evening music on the square, street festivals, and other public functions, I don't see any kind of gun, so if people are carrying it most be pocket carry. Certainly no Glocks, Sigs, or other 9mm or other guns. Even compact guns would be too big in the summer dress here. Like I said, uniform of the day seems to be tucked in T-shirt, cargo shorts, and sandals. Now, I do see some bulges here and there in right hand pocket area of the cargo shorts on some folks. I can only presume they have their gun there. There just is not anyplace else to carry a gun. Once in a while you see an untucked short sleeve collared shirt, and an IWB could be there. I'll wear Magellan fishing shirts in the heat, nice and loose fitting and vented, but I really hate IWB carry and don't do it. In the Texas summer, whatever you wear IWB is going to be sweat soaked. I tried both nylon and leather holsters IWB, and by the end of a hot afternoon, both holster material and gun were soaked. Not nice.

The small pocket gun seems to be the solution to the hot weather in southern climates, for real day after day after day carry.

Last edited by jackknife, Sep 16, 2017
    #1 jackknife, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    akbound and Snoop65 like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

That was some read but you don't say what the verdict is either?
    What are you going to do?

I too live in a horrible hot sweaty humid area and it IS uncomfortable to say the least to try to carry a sweaty hunk of steel in my soaked pocket no matter the cover but.......everything about carrying concealed can be considered a compromise on one level or another too.

I work in even hotter and less comfortable places all the time and many others wear shorts and light clothing on the job even when it is not really the best choice as they seem to be more mindful of being comfy than safe overall?
    It is a pain but I dress appropriately to the job at hand and if that makes me even less comfy then that is still the only way that I will dress.

Not claiming to be military at all but you do not see the troops in the Sandbox wearing shorts and t-shirts when on patrol either and I bet it is a whole lot hotter where they are being shot at than where we are here.
    They just practice and learn to adapt and are safer for it and so am I in general.

Add to that there is nothing wrong with tiny little carry guns if that is what you think you need to carry as long as you are mindful of the practical limitations of them and train to be proficient with them anyway.
    I love my LCP entirely and it is one gun that I never really need to ask myself if I can effectively carry due to size or power.
    The LCP will ruin a bad guys day enough to keep me alive if called to do so as long as I stay effective with it which for me has not been that tough to do.

I also have a Beretta Pico which is actually smaller in some ways but maybe a little heavier too and another decent choice for me when needed

I really prefer to be somewhat uncomfortable if carrying as I never loose sight of my choice that day.

It certainly is just what it is and I hope you can make the best of it..

3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Tough to beat an LCP or J-Frame for discreet carry.

Southeast Wisconsin doesn't suffer from your heat and humidity on a regular basis, but during the summer months when I'm wearing shorts and a tee shirt 99% of the time, the LCP slips right into my pocket and nobody's the wiser. Mine is in my pocket (holstered) loaded with 95gr FMJ's.

Glock1097 and ran23 like this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Well, do what you want.

I'm only here to share my loathe of sandals. Hot or not, and it definitely reaches triple digits in Arkansas in the summer, I think sandals are awful and unsafe.

And tucked in tshirts? Really? Someone summon Tony Centano please.

End of rant.

5. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

IT can be done, my EDC is a glock 19 I carry AIWB,. Two biggest things to make it happen, a kydex holster and an undershirt tank top). Undershirt seems like it would be hotter, but its the opposite once you get used to it. Cuts down on sweat stains obviously, sticking to car seats etc., eliminates any rubbing you might incur with the kydex on your skin and the amount of moisture on your weapon.

I carry this way in AZ, same when I lived in Vegas and no issue at my parents where it is often over 90 degrees with 80+% humidity in the summer. Likewise you should go out and shoot when its that hot as well, see what does and doesn't work as you dress normally because crap doesn't happen in perfect weather under perfect conditions and your ability to be on your game 100%.

6. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Seecamp

nick nitro likes this.
  7. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

Im in Dallas and EDC a shield or 1911 depending where I'm going. I find an OWB holster and untucked shirt works for me. people are oblivious, and really since OC is legal, I don't super care if I print or it blows my shirt up a bit. I do what I can to keep it covered, but meh. there's crime and crap here, too. just busted up a cartel meth ring in Dallas proper, so it may not be as happy and safe as you think.

I used to carry an LCP but had 2 coyotes come up on me at the same time (in the suburbs!) one morning while walking the baby. decided I needed a real caliber in a gun I can actually shoot well.

ArkansasFan30 and Glock1097 like this.
  8. Glock1097

Glock1097 Empty Pockets

Carrying a defensive pistol should be comforting but not always comfortable. In the summer in Metro Detroit it's a G23 in a OWB with a camp shirt and shorts. You do what you need to for safety in your AO. In Detroit area it's a G23 for me.

9. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

I'm just north of Dallas and carry a Glock 43 in the summer. Daily wear is cargo shorts and un-tucked shirt (Polo or T). I carry using an IWB holster worn between my belt and shorts. I works better for me than a conventional belt holster and when I do go where I can't carry (airport, etc.) I don't have to worry about my shorts falling down.

I don't wear gym shorts as everyday attire.

10. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Reality of carrying...........
    In a close quarters defensive shootout, it is likely necessary that multiple shots (up close & personal) will have to be fired in a very short period of time.
    Because of it's awkward ergonomics, and the necessity of having to :censored: it to fire each round (and for the most part having two free hands to operate it), an NAA mini .22 revolver will not fulfill that capability.

edit: :censored: = kock, phonetically ;)

11. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

you've made an assumption with your observations on the what's & hows other carriers are going about their business based upon your limited experience. disregarding sloppy/complacent carriers, the ones having done it for awhile know how to do so without your picking up on it. that stated, there's plenty of options out there to ccw an effective defensive handgun in summer attire. also agree with other comment on who tucks in a t-shirt when wearing shorts; odd to state least... the reality is there's simply concessions to be made with the life choice. one example is wearing shorts with belt loops so an actual purpose built carry belt may still be worn. light dress shirts as unbuttoned cover shirts another. personally carry my pm9 in a remora or iwb the vast majority of time, but have also gone many months using smart carry with no issue. imo, doesn't take a whole lot of planning out in make an effort to ccw a micro 9 or airweight j frame in a proper manner, but being inflexible in what and how you're willing to dress is another matter altogether. .02

Superdave1, Low_Speed and twin63 like this.
  12. rosenjm4160

rosenjm4160 Empty Pockets

I too live in Texas. Outside of work, uniform of the day, as mentioned is shorts, un-tucked t shirt and sandals, although, personally if I'm not just hanging around at home, I'm sporting sneakers. I don't relish the thought of having to run or maneuver in flip flops. Anyway, I have no problem EDCing my M&P Shield 9 (most often), SIG P239 or SIG P229 in a good IWB kydex holster at the 4:30 position. The key is a good quality compression tank under my t shirt in addition to quality gun belt and holster of course.

jkwithawave, Low_Speed and Glock1097 like this.
  13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I live in Nebraska. We don't quite reach some of the temps in Texas but we get plenty of hot and humid. There has never been a time that I didn't carry because of the heat. I carry when wearing everything from shorts to suits. The holster may vary. The firearm may vary, but I almost always have a firearm on my person.

Most commonly, I carry a Walther PPS. My even-more-low-profile backup is a Kahr PM9. The Walther is carried in a CrossBreed SuperTuck. The PM9 is carried in a Vega IU331. Never an issue.

Low_Speed likes this.
  14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm a t-shirt under the outer shirt kinda guy, myself. This was a choice I made in 8th grade, and I have continued it for over 20 years.

Low_Speed likes this.
  15. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I'm in my mid-50s and have been wearing an undershirt since I was a kid, regardless of how hot it is.

I've tried a couple times to go with just a tee shirt, but it didn't feel right. The undershirt gets tucked into my pants, then a pocket tee over that, all year, every day, no matter what.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hannibal Lecter and CGRobert like this.
  16. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Captain Parker?
    John Wesley Hardin?
    Bill Jordan?

Those legit gunslingers weren't shorts and Flipflops guys, even when flinty Bill Jordan was at social security age.
    I am a bit doubtful that global warming is that much more severe today. I have yet to find a place, in Texas or otherwise, that I cannot reasonably IWB. It is not comfortable, but it is both concealed and accessible.

That said, totally with NASCAR and Arkansas, as I am an undershirt guy. For me it a bit of tell for an armed fellow, I knew a DEA agent who always carried under an outer t shirt, but always with a white tee underneath. The white undershirt sometimes reminds me of the 1950-60's US Army, as in Basil Plumley in We Were Soldiers Once... And Young.

Glock1097 likes this.
  17. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

Carrying in the heat of summer is just something you have to get used to and commit to and find what works for you. Me- J frame in my RF pocket when in shorts and T

18. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

:hot:..............and now, what with "global warming" and all, none of us will be comfortably carrying anymore :frantic:

MCPOWoller likes this.
  19. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

If you are struggling to carry a Glock 26 then you are doing it wrong or not trying hard enough.

Have you tried pocket carrying? It is very doable and you just need to find the right pair of shorts.

I carried a Glock 26 or 19 everyday for the 5 years I lived in Phoenix, and my body type definitely does not lend itself to carrying iwb easily (love handles and a gut).

ramjet, MCPOWoller and Glock1097 like this.
  20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm of the mind that you simply suck it up and adjust. I don't believe there's a comfort issue that can't be solved with the right holster, and then you just have to work on printing. If a person isn't willing to adjust their wardrobe to improve their concealed carry, then maybe carrying isn't for them.