1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reality check...How many EDC tools do you "duplicate"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by marcangel, Mar 10, 2008.

1. marcangel

marcangel Empty Pockets

I have been recently smitten with the Atwood bug, trying to find the "perfect" EDC tool. For years I've carried a Victorinox Yeoman and recently I've taken to "custom" SAK mods, most notably a Yeoman with a long nail file and a "Yeoman mechanic" with a long nail file with a photon Freedom on a lanyard. I've been playing with the following Atwood tools, which are various components on my keychain etc.

1) Crawdaddy
    2) Nibble
    3) Bugbite
    4) Bottlebug
    5) Prybaby G2
    6) Swissbianco SKT in Ti

I've come to the conclusion that the ONLY addition to practical day-in-day-out use that ANY of these tools offer is the ability to PRY stuff, I shouldn't be using a knife blade or an SAK bottle opener for. Yes, the Crawdaddy has a nifty wrench. I have yet to use it over the SAK pliers. Hell, I DON'T EVEN DRINK BEER (wine and vodka are an entirely different matter ;)). The phillips bit in an Atwood tool has much less practical application than the SAK phillips. The SKT gets used a bit, and is the "goto" tool for alot of stuff simply because it sits in a sheath, weighs next to nothing, is easy to handle and cleans up without a fuss (Ti DOES have advantages). Am I addicted? :sigh:

2. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Curious, why do you say the SAK phillips is more practical than the Atwood phillips bit?

3. marcangel

marcangel Empty Pockets

Because you can use it at right angles and like a conventional screwdriver because it has a half stop. The advantage of the Atwood tool is you could use "whatever" bit you want. But then you could always opt for one of the Cyberools if that's an issue for you.

4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I'll carry a second "back up" knife and a second flashlight.

My primary edc is a Wenger SI sak, and my primary light is a single AAA Dorcy pocket light. I have a second light, a AAA sonic in the nylon belt pouch with the Wenger sak, and a Victorinox classic on my keyring. I use the classic as my general cutting tool, as well as the Dorcy as my edc light. Knives get dull or damaged in crisis and I want two cutting tools on me. The one time we had to walk out to the next metro station after a train breakdown, it was one very dark tunnel, and I was hoping my Dorcy would make it. The only other light was the drivers old two cell Ray-o-vac. Since then, I carry a second small pocket light.

Two small [pocket knives and two small AAA lights. I'm planing on getting a ARC to replace the Dorcy in the near future.

5. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

I bet you'll find a lot of duplication. Personally, I carry a BM556 primary blade, backed up my a LM Charge TTI, backed up by an old Swiss+Tech Micro-Tech for the pliers, on my keys (one of the old ones, before they started to suck!). Also, the LM has a micro screwdriver, but I still carry an old eyeglass screwdriver on my keyring. A have a Fenix LOD Q4 as my primary, and also have a few Inova coin cell lights (their names escape me right now) around. And to round it off, a Hartsook usually finds its way around my neck. And that's just what I carry in my pockets, If we went into my backpack, there'd be a lot more dupes.

6. marcangel

marcangel Empty Pockets

It's even worse than I alluded to. Currently I carry the following:

Yeoman Long Nail File Mechanic
    Kershaw ZDP Leek
    Swissbianco Ti SKT
    2 Photon Freedoms (one on the SAK, one on my keychain)
    Midnight Minichamp
    Leatherman P4
    AG Russell Mini penknife
    Fenix L0D
    Atwood Bottlebug
    Atwood Ti Gasbaby

So I have 6 bottle openers, 3 files, 2 pliers, 2 scissors (small and large) 5 LED lights, 3 prying tools, at least 6 blades of varying sizes, and a virtual toolbox of flathead screwdrivers. I'm thinking about downsizing the Midnight Minichamp to a Rambler since YOU NEED that small Phillips screwdriver.

7. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

At work I have been carrying 2 Minimags.One in the Niteize ToolPockits with my SwissTool.The second on a ParaCord laynard around my neck,tucked in my shirt.I work at night and need light to make sure my trailers are hooked correctly.I primarily use the one from my tool pouch and keep the second as a "Spare".I was EDC'ng a Solitaire on my keyring,and replaced aanother Solitaire with the Mini on my laynard.Nothing against the Solitaires,but I decided I wanted a bit more light for my backup.

Dtrain