1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

REAL MAPS

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by E.D.C, May 11, 2016.

1. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

Anyone know where to get one I would prefer a laminated one but dosent matter feels like they stopped selling them everyone Gas stations around my side don't sell , Walgreens either my map is outdated and I want a updated one anyone know where I might find one.

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I myself am a big fan of those funky 'crumpled' city maps when on city trips. Good fun, easy to pocket.... but ofc only useful in city borders. When we go out camping i usually just print out a couple maps ahead of time and put em through the laminating machine thing as im never happy with the maps how the are available locally at the tourist offices (either not enough detail, not the kind of detail im looking for or filled with advertisement). Proper maps are just too hard to find nowadays.

3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

What kind of map are you looking for? You could check Amazon they have all sorts of atlases or if you are a AAA member you can take advantage of their trip tick package where they assist you in laying out the trip and provide maps.

4. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I have found a De Lorme Atlas of the state you plan on being in to be VERY detailed and accurate.

LoneArcher likes this.
  5. LoneArcher

LoneArcher Loaded Pockets

What state are you looking for, E.D.C.? I think all states still produce yearly state road maps. They're probably available on most states official tourism sites. If you're looking for topo maps, the usgs.gov site is THE resource. It looks like they also have several other types of maps too.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and RAMBOCAT like this.
  6. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Try maptown, may have what you're after

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

If you're looking for maps of the roads within a state DeLorme Atlas and Gazeteers are a very good place to start as mentioned before. Not laminated and sort of a larger format (like the size of a newspaper that's folded on a newstand). They show most if not all of the roads in the state and that includes unpaved. They're about $20-25 per state.

I know you want paper but did you know about free Open Source Maps (OSM)? There are free apps that let you use those without a data or WiFi connection and you can download multiple states. The apps use the GPS on your phone or a tablet with GPS and they can be quite accurate. OSM's depend on user input for corrections/updates and free map updates are available quite often (every month or so in my experience). Give 'em a look.

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

LoneArcher likes this.
  8. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

i have to second the USGS site, its one of the most useful map resources I've ever used.

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Nothing beats a real map for motorcycling and bicycling.

10. MORT

MORT Empty Pockets

I picked up a nice laminated atlas at a large truck stop.

11. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

A few years back, I decided to visit friends in San Francisco more or less on the spur of the moment, and left at 1 in the morning. Driving from LA, I took the 5 North, and accidentally got on the 99 about an hour after I left. An hour-ish after that, I noticed I was no longer on the 5, and I did not have a data-capable phone at the time. So, I found the next liquor store that was open at approximately 3AM, found a map of California, continued north, made a detour or two, and rolled in around 8 or 9 AM.

The map itself is your typical $1.99 piece of paper found at just about any truck stop. It wasn't laminated, did not have much detail other than the freeway numbers and a compass rose, but it did the trick in a time of need. AAA sells maps. So does REI. The type you need will likely dictate where you pick it up.

LoneArcher likes this.
  12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I'd much rather have a ratty, used map that shows uniform and precise distances, more roads, and accurate road and place names than a pretty new one with lamination but with less roads, poor accuracy in distances, and doesn't show names of roads so you can't easily tell where you are and what's coming up next.

Be careful with USGS maps and pay close attention to when they were both last printed and updated especially when you are getting them in store but even when you order from the government.

Most any map can be laminated if you spend some money.

And the OP still hasn't posted what they specifically want to see on the maps.

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

LoneArcher likes this.