1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Real Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mike3145, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

A friend of mine's son is turning 18 next month and wants a "real" flashlight. Frankly the kid doesn't have very good track record of taking care of stuff but maybe now that he's going to be an adult... For requirements I'm thinking:
    • Not EDC sized but something "bigger" that is less likely to get misplaced.
    • Maybe use common size batteries like AA (or throw in a box of CR123a's)
    • Not rechargeable. I'm not sure he would keep it charged and when he does need it, it should work.
    • 300ish+ lumens
    • Couple or three light levels (strobe isn't necessary)
    • Tail clicky
    • $50-$75
    Kind of thinking:
    • Streamlight Polytac
    • Streamlight PropolyMax (4AA)
    • Surefire G2X Pro
    • Fenix TK09
    • Olight S2A Baton
    As always suggestions are welcome and appreciated...

2. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

The Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA comes to mind. Maybe a little smaller than what you had in mind but probably large enough to keep track of at a little over 4" long. Three different programmable modes to choose from and uses a single battery for convenience. CR123s will provide the best performance(350 lumens) so the box of them is the way to go. Still OK with AAs(150 lumens) though if he decides to stick to regular batteries(would steer him toward lithiums,alkalines leak to often) in the long run. Reasonably priced at about $40 and a decent warranty from Streamlight

3. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Buy him the Atomic Beam as seen on TV! If he still has it in six months, upgrade to one on your list.

Batman_1939, Mumbojumboo and steeps like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would get him a Maglite.

They are OK and readily available and replaceable and not too shabby as a first real light at all.

If that works out then next year get him something "More Real".

smokingfish and Airborne 1 like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 on Maglite; can be obtained with a 'holster'. As an alternative maybe go with either a Streamlight Stylus Pro or a Streamlight Microstream. Both are not very expensive -- in same ballpark as Maglite; sturdy; use AAA. Heck, these are the two I edc myself! Together with a NiteCore Tube on keyring.

I'd think, taking cost and availability into account the AA or AAA size battery makes sense.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Foursevens has Mini M2A for sale in the clearance section, which may be ideal (2AA, bigger than edc, etc.)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

From your list, I like the SF G2X Pro for a simple, reliable, durable light. But in this case, a good AA or 2AA light may be a better "starter" choice. I have a Nitecore MT2A that's been a surprisingly good light. Even better might be the Streamlight Protac 2AA. I don't have any personal experience with it, but the Streamlights I own have been solid.

I have to agree with the Maglite suggestions (not a tail clicky without an upgrade switch, though). The Mini Mag 2AA was my 1st decent light back in the 80's. I still have it. Other than looking beat-to-death, it still functions just like new. The newer Mini PRO LED advertises 226 lumens with 2AA. Not too bad for less than $20.

8. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Start with a Mag lite and if he can hold on to it and keep it working, then its time to move up !

9. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Some years ago I gave him a 3 D-cell Maglite and he hasn't lost it yet. I even attached a clip in his closet for storage and told him to always put it back so he would know where it was when he needed it. Although the last time I saw him it wasn't hanging where it should be an it was missing the bulb. Not quite sure why the bulb was gone, maybe it had burned out and it isn't so easy to find a replacement these days at the local hardware store or home center.

I think I'm going to go with either the Streamlight Protac 2AA or the Olight S2A Baton. Both a priced about the same and batteries are readily available. The Olight's specs say it's brighter but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

10. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

I have the Olight S2A Baton. I don’t EDC it (it’s in my get home bag) but it seems a solid choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Nitecore MT2A. Great light and pretty versatile. If you want only a single mode 300+ lumen tac light with a momentary tail switch, then keep the bezel tight. Loosen the bezel and the tail switch will cycle through Strobe-Blinky High Medium Low. This UI makes it easy to switch back and forth between Turbo and whatever mode you have selected on the memory mode by twisting the bezel. It's a little big for pants pocket carry, but it can be done, especially in the forward corner of the back pockets of jeans. During the winter season, I just leave it in my coat pocket so it's always there anytime I go out. It's great for lighting up a parking lot or a dark street. I had gotten my MT2A to replace an older 2xAA LED Mini-mag and the Nitecore is just so much better. It's much brighter and I just found that I liked the momentary turbo of the MT2A way better than the twisty UI of the Mini-mag.

Regardless of the light, if you do get a AA powered light, get him some Energizer Lithium AAs. Way better than alkaline, and they'll last for a while even if the light doesn't get used much.

twin63 and Naddy like this.
  12. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

You could also check out the Pelican 2360 2AA light. The newest version is supposed to be 375 lumens.

13. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

How about an LED drop in for the 3D?

14. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Ended up going with the Streamlight ProTac 2AA. Turns out the big river site had it for a bit less than the 2AA Olight model, which was also in the running. I didn't spend much time with the light but it seems pretty nice. Well built and I'd say the 250 lumen rating is about right. As it turns out his Mom has some kind of security camera that uses CR123a batteries and now has a goodly supply in the house. If I had know that, I might have gone with something else. The kid is happy and that's all that really matters...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Awesome! And thanks for closing the loop here, since far too many times we keep on wonderin'... :)