1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to Bags/packs in stores?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Pyromaniac96, Dec 23, 2009.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

It's funny when you see these old threads come up and times have changed.
    Walmart charges for bags where I'm at, so they should expect people to bring in backpacks and other carrying devices into the store.
    As well, there are lots of people who use public transit, and the backpack is used by many people these days.
    Speaking only for myself, I find carrying a backpack with stuff in it much easier than carrying loaded grocery bags especially in winter.

kikaida likes this.
  2. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Carry a backpack almost everywhere here in Germany.
    Never had a problem with it. The big electronic stores sometimes ask you to put them in the lockers they provide.
    No problem.

However: I work security at large concerts (2-6k visitors), packs in general are becoming less welcome at concerts, fares and other large events due
    to the terrorist attacks in Germany. Actually one attack was prevented in Bavaria, where Mister T blew himself up after being denied entry (I don't think it was about the bag, though. He didn't have enough cash). No casualties (besides T) but a few severly injured.

malraux72 likes this.
  3. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Never had a problem, I do ask to set it down behind the counter if lots of breakables in the store.

4. Airth

Airth Loaded Pockets

The only problem I've had was backpack shopping, actually. I wanted to test the backpack I was looking at with a load, and this shop didn't have the little sand bags laying around usually intended for the purpose. I popped the heaviest cast iron frying pan I could find into it and walked around the store, taking some steps and test hops to check the straps as I adjusted them. I noticed an employee following me around and figured they thought I was up to no good--I went right up to them and explained what I was doing. I ended up buying the bag, and purposefully centered myself in view of an employee and a camera as I unloaded the frying pan back onto the rack, unzipped all the zippers of the bag and carried it up to the register. No harm, no foul.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Here in France, security checks have been reinforced in the shops and public places since the terrorist attacks. I've never been checked by law enforcement, but usually in shops, there is a security guard that makes you open the bag, wether it's your Camelbak or your girlfriend's purse.
    Problem for these guys is that they only give a quick look inside and don't check the side or little front pockets. Cool for me though, no need to explain that carrying a knife in there is legal etc.
    And when it's time to pass to the register, I open largely the primary zip to show the cashier that the bag is empty.

In fact in France, having short hair and casual or just a little bit tactical clothes, plus a tactical-looking bag, instantly puts you in the off-duty military (which I used to be)/firefighter category, so LEO and private security give you the "good guy" look and don't check on you.

malraux72 likes this.
  6. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Glad I am not the only one !

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I carry a backpack almost all the time and I've never had an issue in stores when carrying a small/medium pack.
    Occasionally if I'm in a fairly cramped store and I have a large (80+ litre) pack I'll be asked to leave it by the checkout but I've usually asked if I can leave it before they ask me.

Maybe the different reactions are a geographical thing. I live in the UK and I'm mostly in either small towns and villages or a student area of a city. It's not at all uncommon to see people carrying a backpack so no one gives it a second glance most of the time. A pack will only attract attention if it's large but even then, it's mostly students carrying their laundry over to the laundry facility

epi likes this.
  8. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I carry a backpack every single day. The only time anyone asks to look into it is if I'm going into a museum or art gallery, and then it is just a cursory check by a bored security guard.