1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to Bags/packs in stores?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Pyromaniac96, Dec 23, 2009.

1. somber

somber Banned

You're right, maybe I'm just wrong in thinking you want attention. Please, forgive my assessment.
    I'm glad you agree with me! Checking bags, or requiring bags to be left at the door is common practice for Private Businesses when it comes to store Loss Prevention. Well put, Boy Surefire.

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

So long as the search and or seizure is warranted I'll allow it, but I refuse to have my personal belongings taken without a warranted reason. The fact that carry a pack shouldn't automatically make me a criminal, but if my behavior/manner dictates me a suspect then 1+ to the watchful employee that can discern me as being a actual theft risk.

I assume taking peoples bags regardless of who it is allows the worker to perform the given command without fear of being accused of "profiling." Like I said before, I'll show respect if they'll give respect, and that applies to anyone and not just LEO's. Innocent Until Proven Guilty.

P.S. If I see a store let some guy who just rolled up in a BMW walk through, and they don't demand his bag/case then I'm going to be :explode:.

3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

My general reaction when I'm asked to leave a bag in a store is to request that prior to turning it over that the store inventory and photograph all items contained therein for their and my protection. This generally ends any fight to my retaining possession of my bag.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

bingo!

I put my bag on the counter, remove everything, pull out my camera and photograph everything AND the employee demanding that i leave the bag at the counter. I also pull out a legal form for them to sign stating that they are financially responsible for ANY loss of the photographed items in the bag, including the bag. I ask for the manager to come down and sign the form.

they dont like that. As a result i never have to leave my bag anynmore.

5. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I'd like to see a video of that and the shop employees reaction... preferably with the contents of a "uber-prepared", overkill urban survival edc bag of evil. :D

6. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i love that idea i would love to see the managers face when you show them the contract! i think it serves them right! they want you to leave your valubles behind a desk with darn near minimum wage employee's... they should be able to cover any loss of the consumer due to theft or any other mishap.

7. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i went to the store today with a mostly empty bag, as i was wearing the jacket that takes up a majority of the storage, forgot i bought some snacks and threw 'em in there, and they were floating around the bottom. as i was shopping, i dug out my notepad and saw the snacks, and started to worry how it would look to have a few bags of chips and other assorted salty or sweet snacks in the backpack. good thing the store i was at has zero interest in searching backpacks. this is due to the fact that their LP dept is very good, and they have plenty of cameras in the store.

the point being, if a company wants to prevent theft and loss of product, don't alienate the patrons, instead invest in a better LP system, including proper surveillance and man power to monitor the store. otherwise, feel the wrath of every EDC'er's "bag of evil".

8. Dronac

Dronac Empty Pockets

I absolutely refuse to leave my bag anywhere, even in my car. My car is a soft top jeep, which can just be unzipped. In effect, my car cannot be locked. My bag usually has $2000 worth of electronic and personal goods in it (Mostly laptop, GPS, and radar detector. Sometimes a gun as well). If the store has a habit of searching bags (Going in or our. AKA Walmart checking bags and receipts) then I put in headphones and ignore the greeter and go on my way. I'v heard them calling to me through the music and just ignored them and never had a problem.

If a greeter did chase me down and confront me, I would leave. No sense in risking hundreds of dollars of gear to save on shipping and buy local. I'll come back later to see if I can slip by the greeter or order online.

EDIT: First post! Woohoo!

9. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

I carry a simple, black Tumi bag (teetering dangerously on the edge of being a true man "purse"), but I've never had problems in stores. This is probably due to the bag's smaller size and my being in a college town where backpacks and bags are the norm. For those of you who have encountered pushy store clerks demanding to see the contents of your bag, I agree that it's really none of their business. There are typically plenty of other places I can give my business to.

10. cockroach

cockroach Empty Pockets

If you don't like a shop's attitude, take your money somewhere else!

Busmech likes this.
  11. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I love it!! You see, you are perfectly within your rights to do all of that, and they don't have to like it. I have how stores and MOVIE THEATRES think they can tell you what you can and cannot carry. I had a movie theatre manager approach me while I was in line wearing my Maxpud Pygmy falcon and he requested that I leave it at the concession stand. I stated that it was unnecessary and my pack was staying with me. He proceeded to say that bags of that size were not permitted in the theatre unless a medical condition is involved. I stated that my medical condition was none of his business and I took my bag in. In this economy, they really can't do anything but watch you walk away.

12. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I used to carry a tan Remora EDC, and never got questioned about it. (it matched my wife's black remora purse too! it was so cute...)
    I've since upgraded to a Lowepro AW-200 camera bag, and again, no questions asked.
    I think I'll pick up a generic receipt book to keep in it though, and if asked to check the bag I'll ask them for a receipt. only about $1,000 worth of gear, their manager should have no problem with them signing for that much liability, right?

13. Stix-N-Stonz

Stix-N-Stonz Loaded Pockets

i used to hike up the hill near my home to grocery shop at kroger, and i would carry an empty backpack with me to carry my goods home in. the first time i went in there, the guard told me i had to leave it. after a little talking, he figured i was a working man with morals and has never bothered me about it since. but he still makes all the school kids leave their bags at the desk. i've also gone into other stores and when they say i have to leave my bag, i say "thank you, but i'd rather just take my business elsewhere." several times they've actually come outside and apologized and offered to let me keep it while I shop.

But I've done loss prevention before, so I can see their point.

Busmech likes this.
  14. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

I have gotten quite a few lingering glances whilst totting a mid sized sling pack. Even a few snickers from young girls in dept. stores. However I also get a lot of people, mostly other men stop an ask me where I got my pack. I have to admit this does give me a small bit of pride, and YES I know that is wrong.

On leaving my bag at the door or counter. Nope, no way, no how, never gonna do it. I have never been asked to, and honestly do not see it as a potential problem where I live in N.E. TN. However should it be asked of me I will respectfully decline and choose not to enter at that time.

15. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

Only had a problem twice, both times I said are you going to take responsability for US Goverment property, the issue ends. Most cases, that US Gov Property is just my Gov Issued ID. Backpack contents listed in another thread Professional EDC, but normally a TNF Surge with laptop.

John

16. Leif

Leif Empty Pockets

I once spent a day walking around New York City with a foliage green Maxpedition Lunada on my back. Even went to the observation deck of the Empire State Building with it. Nobody said a word, and if there were weird glances, I didn't see them. Of course, I was not carrying any knives in or on the bag.

17. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I carry my Maxp PFII everywhere. I don't really get as many looks as I did when I was carrying a fatboy. The fatboy was less likely to get looks in the theatre though.

18. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Today I went into BestBuy to get a new monitor (the old one went haywire), & a girl in front got stopped going in due to her Netbook carry case. The truly stupid part is they went so far as to open the Netbook screen... I guess she could have smuggled an SD memory card out in the card reader slot, but I'm guessing no. When I passed by wearing my bat belt (three light holsters & a C-phone), the door guy gave me a good eyeballing, but he didn't stop me. My Tad Gear GPP1 pouch would have won me a spot in the bag search line for sure (had it been on my belt).

19. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Response deleted.

20. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

If that happened to me, there WOULD be hard feelings. And a police-brutality complaint.