1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RE: Door unlock fob. Slim version.

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by fshalor, Jul 2, 2008.

1. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up a newer vehicle with one of those "new-age" key fobs that unlock the doors and have a "panic" button on the bottom. As a pocket minimalist, the thing was just too much added bulk to my ring. (5 keys, small strong split ring, paracord monkey's fist attached via a mcgizmo 2 clip)

The design of the fob is pretty good. It's not too thick, not too heavy and fairly sturdy. However, I look at it and see 75% wasted material. What might be fine for some makes the set of keys difficult to extract from pockets, etc.

Plan 1: First thought was a smallish aluminum piece. Course that lasted me all of 20 seconds. I'd have to wire the antenna to the outside or figure something else out. (Have an idea for this actually.

Plan 2: G-10. I like it.

Utilizing the original silicon top (buttons and top cover) and then rerouting the battery from the bottom to the bottom face...

Dimensions drop from : 61.5mm x 31.1mm x 13.1mm
    to : 57mm x 24 mm x 8.5mm
    Around a half volume reduction.

Working on a plexiglas mock out of some scrap.

2. peacefuljeffrey

I wonder if Radio Shack or some store like that has kits for making the same sorts of RF commands (they do use RF, right?) come out of homemade devices, so that you wouldn't even have to use the original buttons...

Sounds like a cool idea, though. Good luck! :thumbsup:

3. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

There Is such a Device , i dont know the name of it . It works like this --- you program a series of knocks / Taps EXAMPLE: Like S.O.S. (· · · — — — · · ·). signal send to relays unlocks door !! Kinda Kool .. The Store is called NET Electronics in Downey ,CA http://www.netelectron.com/ I made a similar Device with a pulse timer / Magnetic Reed Switch & A Relay . you tap the car . opens relay and wave a magnet in the corner pillar of Side Window WALLA!!! Door Unlocks ( LOL Not In Current Vehicle ) Hope This Helps !! :luck:

4. peacefuljeffrey

That's kinda cool. Makes me think, "What series of knocks would I use to enable entry into my car, that wouldn't get done by accident?"

I mean, you wouldn't want to set "shave-and-a-haircut; two bits" because that's too obvious.

Then I recall that my friend pointed out to me that the beginning of the rock-instrumental song by Rush called "YYZ" begins with some chimes, and then drum/guitar pulses, that are actually the Morse Code for the Toronto Airport call letters YYZ: - . -- / - . -- / - - . .

If you listen to the song, you can hear those repeated over and over during the intro. When you can "hear" the letters after a while, it's a lot of fun to listen to it! :)

Here, Watch the animated video someone made and if you're a Rush fan, you'll love it, and if you're not yet a Rush fan, you might very well end up one.

5. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

knocks would be programed in by you ! in a series of four combination [EXAMPLE] - - - - /- - - /- - - - - /- - 4 3 5 2 , only minutes from me , ill have to see if they have them still ......... Thanks for the Vid Link Neil Peart animated !! NICE !

6. claw

claw Empty Pockets

Never thought about using G10.

7. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

loving the YY Zed