1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rate my Travel First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Birkkjaer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

It's interesting how you conveniently avoided answering my question (although you do have a limited point regarding clotting agents). Then again, we both know that the answer is "use the emergency dressing". Anyone that says anything else is either a liar or have absolutely no knowledge of, well pretty much anything.

So why should one use a maxi pad instead of a proper bandage setup? Cost is the only thing that springs to mind, but that's about it.

2. ffmedic74

ffmedic74 Loaded Pockets

We are talking about something to use in your car as a good Samaritan. Not a hospital or ems service. If your buying quick clot for everyone on the forum I'm sure we will all use it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Again, the discussion is not about clotting agents vs maxi pads. It is about your recommendation of maxi pads as an effective bleeding control tool. If anything it's a matter of maxi pads vs modern wound dressings. Quikclot, Celox and similar haemostatic agents that actively promote clotting through clotting factor activation or adhesive mechanism are something different completely.

4. ffmedic74

ffmedic74 Loaded Pockets

I'm exhausted... You win and perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

The fact that you believe this is a contest is a bit worrying.

Nothing changes the fact that you recommended maxi pads as an effective bleeding control tool, when faced with criticism you move the goal posts by bringing up clotting agents. I don't really see the relevance here.

If you could just explain why the OP should choose maxi pads for a "trauma situation" (which was your original recommendation) I'm sure we could have a decent discussion on the subject. The only reason I can think of is the cost/availability, but with the relatively cheap and available emergency bandages on the market today I fail to see how that can be a major concern.

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Did you know you can get plenty of sterile compressed gauze for the same price as a pack of maxi-pads? Which would be a great low-cost alternative to combat gauze. Combat gauze is for packing a wound cavity to create internal pressure and promote clotting, try that with a maxipad. Why plan to fail. I dont get it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Why worry about messes in the controlled OR with near unlimited staff and resources?

tdb likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Let's keep the discussion civil.

Discussing merits or drawbacks of an idea is fine, but let's not make it personal.

thekapow likes this.