1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rate my Travel First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Birkkjaer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

It's interesting how you conveniently avoided answering my question (although you do have a limited point regarding clotting agents). Then again, we both know that the answer is "use the emergency dressing". Anyone that says anything else is either a liar or have absolutely no knowledge of, well pretty much anything.

So why should one use a maxi pad instead of a proper bandage setup? Cost is the only thing that springs to mind, but that's about it.

Medic1 likes this.
  2. ffmedic74

ffmedic74 Loaded Pockets

We are talking about something to use in your car as a good Samaritan. Not a hospital or ems service. If your buying quick clot for everyone on the forum I'm sure we will all use it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Again, the discussion is not about clotting agents vs maxi pads. It is about your recommendation of maxi pads as an effective bleeding control tool. If anything it's a matter of maxi pads vs modern wound dressings. Quikclot, Celox and similar haemostatic agents that actively promote clotting through clotting factor activation or adhesive mechanism are something different completely.

Medic1 likes this.
  4. ffmedic74

ffmedic74 Loaded Pockets

I'm exhausted... You win and perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

The fact that you believe this is a contest is a bit worrying.

Nothing changes the fact that you recommended maxi pads as an effective bleeding control tool, when faced with criticism you move the goal posts by bringing up clotting agents. I don't really see the relevance here.

If you could just explain why the OP should choose maxi pads for a "trauma situation" (which was your original recommendation) I'm sure we could have a decent discussion on the subject. The only reason I can think of is the cost/availability, but with the relatively cheap and available emergency bandages on the market today I fail to see how that can be a major concern.

Medic1 likes this.
  6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Did you know you can get plenty of sterile compressed gauze for the same price as a pack of maxi-pads? Which would be a great low-cost alternative to combat gauze. Combat gauze is for packing a wound cavity to create internal pressure and promote clotting, try that with a maxipad. Why plan to fail. I dont get it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Medic1 likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Why worry about messes in the controlled OR with near unlimited staff and resources?

tdb likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Let's keep the discussion civil.

Discussing merits or drawbacks of an idea is fine, but let's not make it personal.

thekapow likes this.
  9. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

10. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Only thing I can think to add would be ibuprofen for muscle aches and more gauze. You need some to use to apply pressure and stop bleeding and then clean gauze to dress it. You can never have enough gauze.

Plus gauze is so cheap you don't need to use maxi pads to stop bleeding.

11. Marskindri

Marskindri Loaded Pockets

It's always a good thing to be ready.

12. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I'm a bit 'iffy' on the aloe vera for sunburn. Sure, it is a refreshingly cool gel, but there does not seem to be a lot of actual clinical research that it helps promote or speed sunburn healing. I am similarly iffy about the rehydration salts and tubes of NaCl. It seems like having sufficient clean water available would take care of most of this.

Personally, I've always considered this size of kit to be a bit awkward. I want it to be smaller and more pocketable for portability, or a bit larger and more complete for trauma, groups, etc.

Again, this is just me sharing ideas- I would drop out most of the 2nd photo stuff, the NaCl bottles, and the nail clippers (or substitute a folding travel version) and move the flashlight to my keychain. Get or make some individual dose-size packets for the pain reliever and other meds (I'd suggest something for upset stomachs and diarrhea, and maybe motion sickness), and move the whole shebang to a nice, flat, easily pocketable pouch.

Mine is built on the Adventure Medical Kit 1.0 and has enough room for some survival or repair gear, like foil, tape, wire, floss, a flat or tubular whistle, etc.

13. lalew

lalew Loaded Pockets

motion sickness pills - you're going on cruise.

14. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Always preferred 4" kerlix. Pack a wound and wrap it. Done it many times. And in my day clotting bandages didnt exist.
    For the FAK for the trip definitely add 4" kerlix rolls. Makes a great pressure dressing. Place an unrolled kerlix on the major wound and wrap it with another kerlix . just dont stretch it too tight. Have used it to pack abd wounds then covered with 5 x 9 and 8 x 10 abd pads.

Last edited by Medic1, Feb 8, 2018
    #34 Medic1, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. ArkansasFan30

"In my day" as a paramedic, you were considered a fool in practice of quackery to use a tourniquet. How times change.

If someone has the money to buy clotting material, support it. How many of us pay for insurances we never use? I feel like a geek with an IFAK in my EDC bag, but active shooters (and stabbers) are a way of life now, and technology allows us to carry some great gear that's small in size. You'd probably have to cram 10 feet of Kerlix into a home that Celox or QuikClot would only require inches of (unsubstantiated statement). It's hard to EDC Kerlix. An over achiever could throw QuikClot in his wallet.

*Note: tourniquets and clotting agents may not arrest the bleed(s). They're tools not miracles.*

Last edited by ArkansasFan30, Feb 28, 2018
    #35 ArkansasFan30, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  16. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I never mentioned tourniquets. Just speaking from my experience in my day.

17. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I did throw away some clotting material, z fold and rolls as they expired. Not trusted after that. I may replace them with one.

18. ArkansasFan30

I was commenting on the advances in technology and evidence based practice that now discuss utilizing hemostatic agents and tourniquets while just 15 years ago that was faux pas. I'm not in EMS or emergency medicine now. Rather, I've grown up and am now in psychiatry and really enjoy not having to deal with "somatic medicine."

19. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I am envious of the equipment and packs that medics have today. I worked with stone knives and tools in comparison and half of that worked in -65 degree weather. Improvise. So the kit the OP has would have been at lightspeed. I had one kit in a .30 cal ammo can painted white with a red cross on it. I still have one of those cans.