1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ratcheting Driver

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by rickboone, Oct 2, 2013.

1. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Looking for something pen size. Like a precision driver. Long handle, in other words. I'd like it to take bits. And ratchet. Does this exist? I've got right angle one but it's not practical in all situations.

2. yaniv glozman

yaniv glozman Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #4
    pbswiss

wera zyklop tools

Both expensive ...I like PB Swiss but both are best quality

3. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I actually have the Topeak Rachet Rocket kit. I like it and think it's pretty dependable, though I haven't really put much force on it.

4. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

If you are talking ratcheting screwdriver, they exist. They tend to be thick, because of the ratchet. Not much point in ratcheting, if you can reach it you can spin the driver.

5. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I came across this video. Not precisely "pen size" as rickboone is looking for but its interesting. Basically a pocket knife with some tools and, a ratchet assembled in the same device... Perhaps it is not new to all of you but I never saw before such a thing.
    Made by Wartech, some parts and blades already seen in other manufacturers, but if you move the timeline to 1:04, you will see the proposed solution to carry bits and the ratchet fixture.
    Hopefully I am not trespassing forum rules by posting this video... I have no promotional intention here (no relation with the video youtuber nor the brand). I am just curious.

6. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

I have a chapman driver. It has bits and extensions that you can get with it. It's a perfect size and have yet to find a screw/small bolt it won't loosen.

vinniec5 likes this.
  7. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

^^ that dude in the video needs to take a Xanax or go find a job on the late night shopping shows

Legend likes this.
  8. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Lol... Yap , He is good at it.
    After all, I think the knife/ratchet is a really interesting piece.

9. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

quite interesting! Removable wrenches/prytools been done, but a ratchet in a folder - AFAIK not.
    at the same time, I think the utility of a simple, well-retaining bit holder in a knife/MT is greater than a ratchet.

10. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Chapman driver. It accepts regular hex bits, but I use mine with the Leatherman bit extension and proprietary bits, all tucked into the small nylon pouch with both bit holders. This is one of the best accessory items for multi-tools of any make, IMHO.

11. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Throw my vote in for the Chapman. I just got a good deal on the Topeak Rocket Ratchet Lite on eBay ($23, free shipping), and as soon as I've had a chance to compare it to the a Chapman, I'll post.

Like me, you may have frequent use for both a ratchet and a ratcheting screwdriver. The photo above is of my secondary EDC toolkit. At the heart of it is a Shröder Ratcheting T-Handled Tap Wrench. $14 at Sears, less via Sears online. The quality is very good--I can get enough torque to remove stubborn bolts from my kid's bike. What makes it shine is its ability to accept both square and hex bits. When I get my hands on a Leatherman bit, I will see how well that works.

The Shröder is definitely not pen-sized, but single ranger band makes it portable enough.

I use the old Leatherman sheath for whatever bits and adapters I need on any given day, and I always have the essentials in my main EDC kit, which includes the excellent Torqkey and bits currently kept in an old tube for solder. The Torqkey's hex end lets it serve as a bit extender for the Shröder. All that fits into a $10 cellphone case from the hardware store.

Nick4305, Skinny Tie and keith1234 like this.
  12. tamaders

tamaders Loaded Pockets

WFMC (or Wadsworth) is a great set. Ratchet itself is robust but small. Plus it has an extension arm for more reach. Note it doesn't take hex bits but you can get an adapter pretty cheap to fit universal hex.

I love the set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

pretty ingenious and simplistic-looking, but I'm glad hex won the general format war :) those grooves on every bit look expensive and fragile if done wrong!

AK Adventurer likes this.
  14. couch

couch Loaded Pockets

Blatant ripoff of the Multitasker Duo and Emerson tool.

15. Al Effendi

I ordered some bits for my Chapman ratchet, and while I was at it, I ordered one of their driver handles. The quality is excellent. I found a bit extender with powerful magnet and an indent that keeps the bits in tight.

I'm picking up a 1/4 keyless chuck with a hex shank to make a ridiculous almost-universal driver.

--Al

16. Al Effendi

Just got the Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite. It accepts Leatherman bits in the ratchet, but the screwdriver end well is not deep enough for them. Unlike the Chapman ratchet, the Topeak holds both standard and Leatherman bits without them going through the ratchet--awesome.

My EDC toolset will soon include the Topeak, the LM bit extender, a County Comm key torque thing to turn the bit extender, a selection of LM bits in a single carrier, and a few adapters.

--Al

Skinny Tie likes this.
  17. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

looks to me like the grooves on the bit are what allows the ratcheting action to happen.

18. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Yes,they are! The problem is - they simplify the tool, but complicate the bit.
    On the other hand, Chapman bits with everything - ball detent, groove, finger knurling and whatever else are probably even more complex to make.

P185Renegade likes this.
  19. Al Effendi

[​IMG]
    The LM driver extension doesn't hold the LM bits as well as it should--considering that's what it is made to do. The Topeak's driver is not deep enough to hold LM bits.

The Chapman extension is deep enough for LM bits, but there's no magnet. I can buy Chapman bits à la carte, but they're way bigger than the LMs.

So I either carry the Topeak, the LM extender, and LM bits, and the whole thing fits into a small, thin belt sheath or I carry the Chapman set, and figure out a way to carry the Chapman bits I need most often.

--Al

Nick4305 likes this.
  20. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Husky (the Home Depot house brand) makes a double ended micro wrench. One end takes 1/4" standard screwdriver bits, and the other end uas an adapter for 1/4" sockets (adapter is removable for storage). The tool is tiny, maybe 4 inches long or so, and you could use a 1/4" bit extender with it if you liked. I've got one but don't have any pictures of it yet.

swany66675 likes this.