1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rat RC-6 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Brandon212, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Brandon212

Brandon212 Empty Pockets

So i want to get the RC-6 for hunting,Hiking ect... I just got a Izula and love it O0 I could of had a brand new RC-5 for $65 but the guy never called back :brickwall: So what do you guys think of the RC-6 and like i said The Good, the Bad and the Ugly :p I have seen some post about Rat cutlery knives like RC-3,4,5 but not that much on 6 unless i missed it. thanks

p.s the only large fix blades i have are SOG seal pup elite,Buck 119 100yr anniversary(so i dont want to use that) and a winchester(which was a gift but for what it is not a super bad knife)

2. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Good outweighs all the others IMO. The RC-6 is a nice knife. Note that I only have experience with the Izula, RC-3 and RC-6.

Good:
    Thick blade, but not so thick like the RC-5 as to be heavy
    Longest blade (with exception of the new machetes RAT is coming out with), allows for more surface area to baton, if you do that bushcrafting stuff
    Large handle, good for those with big mitts. Too bad I have small hands.
    1095 carbon steel takes a great edge, easy to resharpen
    Black coating prevents rust for the most part.
    Warranty is rock solid and transferable.

Bad:
    Micarta handles, some like em, some don't.
    RC-6 perhaps still heavy for some.
    Stock sheath is a little flimsy IMO, but it does its job well. Besides, aftermarket sheaths are available.
    1095 steel may rust if you're not careful
    Black coating may be a little too tacticool for some

Ugly:
    Nothing really.

Most of the bad points were assuming I was really nitpicky and wasn't even after a knife of the RC-6's size in the first place. I must say though that I personally do not like the handles of that knife. RC-3 is fine, but RC-6 is a little uncomfortable for long periods IMO.

3. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Loaded Pockets

I have an RC-6 and I think it is one of the finest field knives available in the $100 price range. For my medium sized hands, the grip is perfect while the RC-4/RC-3 handle is a little small. Others may differ. The Micarta is the right amount of "grippiness" without being rough or slippery. The fit and finish are exceptional and consistent between the blade, handle slabs, and liners.

About the only downside that I've had with the knife is that it is not stainless and I will usually coat the blade in some oil before using it on firewood or brush. This takes away from its ability to use with food prep. The supplied Kydex sheath is good, but you may want to upgrade for carrying at a later time.

One other downside might be stowing the knife in your pack or off your belt. It isn't small and can be a little awkward if you don't have plenty of room or the right MOLLE attachment points for the sheath.

I would suggest getting it and trying for yourself. They have a good resale value and you can always resell it on the forums if you don't like it.

Good luck :luck:

4. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I'd get it. I've been eyeballing the RC-6, myself. If you don't care for it, I'll buy it off you.

I do own the RC-4 and have to agree with previous posters...I find the handle just a wee bit too small for my hand. The RC-6 seems to remedy this with its larger grips.

I really wish RAT would make a "bona fide" RC-5, instead of the RC-5 SERE model. (Something more in line with the rest of the RC line of knives) Basically, just a RC-4 with a longer blade and longer grips. That would be my idea of a perfect, all-around camp/bushcraft knife.

Blade care is simple if you use a product like TUF Cloth/TUF Glide from Sentry Soultions, and a fine-grit diamond stone for blade touch-ups.

Sorry I can't be anymore help than that. I'll be watching this thread pretty closely myself, to see what folks say.

5. Brandon212

Brandon212 Empty Pockets

Im going to bump it one time after this I will let i die. :help: I can't belive there is only one person with something to say about this knife. :shrug: Thanks for the two comments :roof:

6. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

just FYI, they are now called the ESEE-6, as RAT changed their name today.

7. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Yeah, I noticed that too. I find the name change kinda strange, but hell, it's their company. I don't really mind either way.

8. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

sorry, Brandon I read it, but kind of forgot about your thread.

I have the izula - (thanks to a trade with crossroads!) and I'm currently carrying it on my neck as I await a Tek-Loc for the belt. Love it, as you have found it's just about perfect as a knife can get.

My Rat - HEST arrived today! :woohoo: This thing is just baddddd. I can't believe how cool it is to hold and can't wait to put it thru it's paces.

I have the Ontario Rat 5 - it's new and I bought it here on the forum from a member. I had wanted to do a "mano-o-mano" comparison against a Rat RC-4,5, or 6....something of similar size. I tried to trade some of my stuff for it, but that didn't work out as planned. (The stuff left for $, but not the larger knife)

Today, as I hold the HEST in my hands here...I am thinking I could just sell the Ontario RC-5...I'm not gonna shell out the $150ish just to do the testing...and really, the HEST is about my perfect size.

I'm not sure I even need the RC-3 or 4...for me, the HEST is about perfect size wise.

The Ontario is at home and I will compare it tonight... As I carry a small hand axe into the woods anyway, I don't need a chopper "per se".....but the Ontario Rat-5 would work well for that if I didn't carry the hand-axe. I assume the Rc-6 would be equally capable of chopping.

I do find the Ontario Rat-5 micarta scales to be comfy and fit my hand well. The blade is crazy strong looking, and it's easy to see how functional the knife is. The sheath is well though out and has true Molle Straps as well as a belt loop, all attached and is fairly flat. There is a holder in front for a stone or smaller something...that's about all I can tell you - other than to say :luck: no matter what you decide! ;D

9. Brandon212

Brandon212 Empty Pockets

10. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Nice Wrap Job

11. Brandon212

Brandon212 Empty Pockets

Thank you.

12. Neo9710

Neo9710 Loaded Pockets

iTS puuuurrdddyy!!!

13. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

For the money, THERE IS NO BETTER 6" BLADE THAN THE RAT CUTLERY RC-6 (btw, the company just changed names to ESEE Knives).

Add in the 100% no questions warranty and its just heaven.

I have plenty of Busse around the same size, but I still love the RC-6...

It would be a perfect partner for your Izula - between the two there is nothing that you couldnt tackle.

Go for it!

14. Inusuit

Inusuit Loaded Pockets

Can't speak to the RC-6, but recent acquired an RC-3. First impressions are all good. Will put it through its paces this weekend.

15. Brandon212

Brandon212 Empty Pockets

Ya let me know. :popcorn:

16. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

I just noticed the 3 4 and 6 with clip point "Clip Point (Sharpened Back Edge)"
    http://www.eseeknives.com/clip_point.htm
    Not into bushcrafting, I guess it should be useful if you need to drill some holes.

It's getting better all the times.