1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RAT H.E.S.T review/:censored:

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jehan60188, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

got the rat hest in the mail yesterday, and took some pics

smaller than I expected, but I think that'll be beneficial, since I'll be more likely to pack it, and hike with it.

picture of the knife
    [​IMG]

attempting to open a bottle top (this top was a screw top, and appeared to be softer than most tops)

[​IMG]

the back of the knife is pretty wide for a knife, but pretty narrow for a church-key

the wire cutter; looks too wide to work very effectively; might be better suited for thin tree branches, or perhaps seedlings
    [img width=640 height=480]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3052/sl732613.jpg[/img]

molle-rig placed horizontally across sheath, and then strapped to backpack strap

[​IMG]
    the knife does not slide out easily (good thing to know it won't fall out)
    a quick yank gets it out, and ready to go

scrounged up a washer that works well as a screw driver for the handle

[​IMG]

still don't know what i'm going to put in it. the hollowed out area is about the size of my thumb
    maybe a micro-fire striker

the washer attached to the included bit of paracord

[​IMG]

attempting to lash the blade to a wooden kitchen spoon
    i need a longer bit of paracord! I don't want it dangling down to my knee, though. perhaps I can braid it in some interesting way that still allows me to use the washer without detaching it

[​IMG]

2. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Nice pics and review. O0 Have you tried that mini prybar? I've heard it's fairly useful. The whole design does look a little too out there for me though.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Looks interesting. Does that spike at the end of the handle (pommel? What's it called on knives?) have some specific purpose?

4. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

It's the prybar I was referring to. At least I think it is...

5. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Thanks, nice photos - shows how it actually looks handled. It's big, big, big and even bigger in the sheath with clips. Those clips don't look comfortable sticking out from the shoulder rig. Any photos of the handle cavity, with the scales off? I'd like to see what can be stuffed in there. Great idea on the washer, too - those bolts are not exactly fingernail-friendly.

>perhaps I can braid it in some interesting way that still allows me to use the washer without detaching it

Maybe a short lanyard that will allow you to unscrew the real bolt only, and then the scale can be turned - if it can work like this?

6. jehan60188

the pry bar is... eh. I haven't tried to use it, because I'm not sure what to use it for. it's too thin to offer much purchase on anything

picture of the cavity

[​IMG]

the penny doesn't even sit flat in it

[​IMG]

picture of side compared to penny. very thick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the update, now I've seen all there's to see. Sorry if I'm being overly critical, but I'd rather prefer Izula, a knife that is a knife that is a knife.

Most special features of H.E.S.T. seem gimmicky.
    Handle cavity - small, not waterproof (am I right?), needs tools to access. I was very surprised to see what a complicated shape has been machined in solid steel, all those indents around the bolt holes... This is not Randall's one-piece cylinder for sure.
    Prybar - not really a prybar.
    Wire cutter - not really a wire cutter.
    Bottle opener - well, one can very well open a bottle using just the back of blade.

8. havz

havz Empty Pockets

Nice looking Blade!

I currently have a Rat-7 and a Rat-3 both D2 and I love them.

9. jehan60188

no need to apologize- this just isn't the knife for you

the handle cavity is small, but not un-functional. dip your strike-anywhere match heads in wax, and they'll be water proof. seems like you can strike them pretty easily on the micarta handle (this is actually what I've been considering doing with the handle- small bit of fire can be more useful than anything else if I'm lost in the woods)
    or, put some jerky or part of an energy bar in there- not as food, but as bait for a deadfall trap.
    or a single water purification tab (in a water-tight container).
    they say the cavity can be made waterproof by applying silicone to it

the prybar- I would rather have it than not have it. I would rather use that than the tip of my knife for prying tasks. It may be a bit more frustrating than say, using a pico widgy (hmm, maybe i'll replace that washer with a widgy), but it'll save the blade

i'll agree that the wire cutter doesn't look very effective. I still need to try it before coming to a final conclusion

bottle opener- one CAN use the back of the blade, but then again one CAN use a dedicated bottle opener. this is a nice compromise between effectiveness, and portability

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I think RAT had an interesting idea, but I don't see a knife handle being the best storage container. I think they tried to combine too many tools into one device that should primarily be just a knife.

I think Cold Steel's Bushman really achieves a better survival knife setup.

11. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I'm getting one as I posted. I agree this knife is not for all. Many like folders. or really beautiful metalurgy, or exotic handles. But for me...who's perfect knife is something akin to a sharpened lawnmower blade... :rolleyes: :p ...combine that with the utility of the HEST... :roof:

RYP's website has many addtional uses too - I can't remember them all. The bottle/can opener can also be used as a wood/coconut/(brian?) splitter. there is a way to put 2 hests together to make a bolt cutter of sorts, the wire cutter seems to be a bit to master....but when mastered, it's apparently very effective.

The pry bar can be used as a punch, sharpened to a spike, etc...there are pics on the web of opening crates, pulling staples from fences, prying open steel boxes with the pry bar - lots of leverage over a small (or in my case a "micro" widgy bar) useing the sheath, obviously...

the fact it's marketed as a "tool" seems to help in some situations for folks to legally carry it. The scales can be sealed with silicone if you really wanted to. jehans waterproof matches seem great. a mini fire steel, sewing needle and fishhooks and spirewire fishing line are mentioned on the RYP site...along with a good old $20 USD bill...which wouldn't be hurt by water....

dang...i am excited to get this into my hands! Mike Perrin's email from RAT cutlery the other day - that said this line will be expanded in the future.... :woohoo:

of course, the coolest thing I will do is beat on it, bang on it, use it and abuse it...and then RAT will be there to stand behind it...no matter what...so I can test all this out first hand! :brickwall:

12. jehan60188

the "spear head" with a hollow handle, and nothing to cover the handle?
    *shrug* i think it's neat, but can't see myself using a spear more often than a deadfall

13. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

>The pry bar can be used as a punch, sharpened to a spike, etc...
    No, nonono. No sharpened spike goes near my hand and wrist.

>the fact it's marketed as a "tool" seems to help in some situations for folks to legally carry it.
    How does it seem to help? Knife laws are based on the blade parameters, not on marketing. And the number of LEOs / private guard personnel etc. that actually read knife marketing materials is lower than one'd think.

14. jehan60188

well, now you're just being a dan-downer! if you don't like it, don't do it, but some people are careful enough to modify their tools, and not be impaled by them afterwards

15. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I do sort of agree on the sharpening of the prybar, Lorenzo. Too close to the wrist - probably for me too...
    Looking at the way the pry bar is used successfully in the pics all over the internet...I am not sure I'd want to sharpen it anyway. just that it could be...

the line about it being a "tool" is right from RYP's site/info/mkting...while I think "we" tend to think in terms of state knife laws...this guy seems to think in terms of what can be carried into places I hope to goodness I never have to see....so I think he must have been talking about places like he's sort of infamous for spending time in.

again, it's certainly not for everyone the IZULA I traded for here on EDCF is a bit smaller - I prefer an integrated handle/no handle (less to tempt murphy's law, etc) - and a bigger knife would be better for camping like a RC-4 or RC-6 probably...it's a "niche" to be sure...but I am excited to put it thru it's paces. :evilgrin:

16. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I've read about where and how the guy works, hope he knows what and how he does; still I'd say a couple words.

In a warzone like those nobody gives a :censored: for knives. Everybody got firearms, down to the poor peasants - low quality most probably but firearms none the less.

H.E.S.T. is neither a specialized weapon nor a concealable last-resort weapon. It is a catchy, cool-looking foreign toy that will be taken away by anyone who detains its owner - taken away with all the handle contents ;) Something valuable - say, a flash card with photos that you need to smuggle out and publish or bribe money - should not be on/in/anywhere near a knife. My 2 cents.

17. jehan60188

I'm not going in to war, I'm going in to the woods.
    And I'm sure plenty of Navy SEALS carry knives

18. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I typed a lot...then erased it. we are all free to have our own opinions.

I'll say that RYP has his own website and forum board. He's open to scrutiny or challenge on his claims if anyone wants to! ( :luck: )

Pelton does all that stuff for a NEWS STORY/BOOK! :shrug:
    I think he's a bit crazy, but totally a bad (butt)
    ...and I used to jump out of planes for uncle sam and went to some latin american country "liberations" in the 80's

To have Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin believe in RYP too...those guys are putting all RAT's experience and reputation behind RYP on this...
    I'm guessing they have checked out this tools capabilities.....

Me?, I'm just gonna use and abuse my HEST as hard as I can - RAT's amazing warranty is there if I need it. and whatever I find - I'll get some pics up! :roof:

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

great review by the OP. :roof:

as for the rest, perhaps Robert will stop by and give you a demonstration on the knife, and WHY he designed it like he did. Your eyes might be opened and you might start thinking outside of the box. :brickwall:

20. jehan60188

so, before i start using the blade, can anyone say anything as to how i should go about maintaining it?