1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by TangoSixFive, Apr 23, 2016.

1. TangoSixFive

TangoSixFive Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'd like to share what I've been carrying for a compact computer.

As many of you know this is the Raspberry Pi. I have the Model 2 B version with 1GB of RAM. This guy sits inside my Maxpedition Neatfreak along with a 5MAh power supply.

It acts as a "pocket NAS" running a samba, DLNA, and bittorrent server. I use it to complement the limited features on my phone, and also in instances where bringing a laptop along would be too bulky, risky, or otherwise impractical.

I can connect an HDMI cable to a screen and it becomes a full-fledged computer. Of course a keyboard and mouse is required as well as the HDMI cable, which only adds to the bulk. So I just VNC in with my phone.

PS. It won't replace your computer, and I intend to use it only as a "force multiplier."

action shot of my Pi by the beach, offloading photos from my phone's storage via samba:
    [​IMG]

xrayit, Blackheart, 10i and 2 others like this.
  2. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Very cool setup.

3. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

Wow - never considered my Raspberry Pi as an EDC item! Cool!

4. greg1174

greg1174 Loaded Pockets

Great idea!

Have you ever considered the 2.8" touch screen to minimize the keyboard/mouse/hdmi needs?

5. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

To supplement your phone, look at owncloud. I run it on my rpi and use foldersync back into owncloud. It sync's my most important docs then lets me access the rest through a web browser.

6. TangoSixFive

I did think about it for a while, but i decided to keep it simple and settle with being able to VNC into the Pi. This way it takes less power.

As much as possible I try to not rely on an Internet connection with this set-up. That's the reason for the samba server. At home I can always sync the files onto my network and to OneDrive. Besides, I don't think owncloud is available for my Windows Phone :p (yeah I'm an MS fanboy :))

BTW, I have 2 Wi-Fi adapters plugged into the Pi. One to connect to an access point when available, and the other to enable the Pi to work as an access point. In most cases I use the latter one since I can get internet on my phone, but in some hotels where Wi-Fi is generally weaker in the rooms I can set the Pi in an area with better reception, and use it to broadcast to any part of the room.

edit: typos and for clarity

Last edited by TangoSixFive, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Nice set-up! I've been trying to get my hands on a couple Pi Zero's for similar reasons but they have been very elusive to me still....

8. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Zero's are still in ridiculous backorder purgatory I'm still waiting on mine too but all these overpricing reseller pricks are gobbling them up -_-

I love EDCing a Pi and cant wait for the zero because of the smaller form factor. I used to carry one in a protoarmor metal case but it proved to be a little on the bulky side (and it takes forever to get through TSA) I modded one to just 2 USB ports to make it a bit skinnier and rigged up an enclosure for it that worked out pretty well...might do it with the new Pi3 and pretty up the casing a bit.

If you do hotels a lot I'd suggest PiPlay on a card with a bluetooth dongle and a PS3 or "8bitdo NES30 (pro) bluetooth controller" The new Pi3 will run most N64 and PSX rather well so makes life a little more tolerable if you've already exhausted your movie collection.

9. TangoSixFive

Ah yes I forgot to mention, I have RetroPi installed alongside Raspbian -- running NES, SNES, and PSX roms. It's using wired controllers though. I don't EDC the controllers, but that's a very good idea!

I also have a 2GB SD card running OpenELEC which I don't EDC, and I guess I might as well use the free wifi and stream movies to the Pi. I'll give that a try the next time I check in.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Yeah for networking purposes i have one of those tiny GL.inet boxes running openwrt with an added in usb hub and a 32gb drive. It doesn't do any of the fancier stuff Rpi's can (like movies/games) but its a nice way to turn a ethernet port in a acces-point or so some vpn stuff when in a hotel. Would still like to add a pi-zero to the collection.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  11. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

You don't have to have internet, just a network connection. With the Pi3 you could even just go from phone to pi via wifi or bluetooth.
    The beauty of the owncloud syncing is I don't have to do anything manual, it just syncs my stuff in the background.

They do have a windows client but I've never tried it, I value my data too much to trust it to Microsoft products anymore.

TangoSixFive likes this.
  12. animefans

animefans Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this count as EDC
    I have my Pi 1, running xbmc, connected to my minivan HDMI, and I drive it daily (the EDC part)

Entertainment on the go for kids in the back

13. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Nice. Too bad the Pi doesn't have easy mSATA, you could put some monster storage on it. The HummingBoard Pro has mSATA but it's much pricier than the Pi

14. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I got a Asus chrome stick. I don't edc it but when I travel for work I bring it with. It's nice to plug into a tv and stream video in the hotel rooms.

The reason I don't edc is I either have my work laptop or work iPad with me during the week and I always have my iPhone otherwise

15. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

Very nice! My son has 4 Pi's and a Pi 2. He really likes them and tries to get me interested in them, but I'm a confirmed Windows guy :)

16. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Orange PI 2+'s have a sata connect for $40 on aliexpress.

17. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Windows 10 can run on a Pi2/3... Microsoft sell pi 3s with Windows 10 on their store.

dreiwhit likes this.
  18. Vinjints

Vinjints Loaded Pockets

Can someone, anyone, share the dumbed down version of this RPi actually does? I'm guessing it's more than just an external hard drive.

19. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

It's a miniature computer. For $50 you can an have a fully working computer that can do anything a $200 PC or $600 Mac mini can. I use one for my internal backup/media server and one for my web server.

Vinjints likes this.
  20. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

I remember now my son told me about this.

But (and I'm trying to remember) there was something he told me that even though the Pi 2/3 would run Win 10, the Pi version of Win 10 wouldn't let you run Windows based programs.