1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rank watch straps

Discussion in 'Watches' started by GQkudzu, Mar 11, 2018.

1. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

I read something recently that confirmed I have no sense of style, especially as it relates to watch straps. I have a Seiko SKX007, and it's currently on the stock stainless steel bracelet that it came on. I'm considering a nylon or leather (or both) NATO strap for it.

I personally like all three types of straps, but I'm wanting opinions of the rank of each style, in terms of classiness. So, please share your opinion on this. Assuming you're wearing a 007 with a suit, how would you rank the best choice, with 1 being the best and 3 being the worst: STOCK STAINLESS STEEL vs. NYLON NAVY-AND-WHITE-STRIPED NATO vs. LEATHER NATO.

And, go...

Thanks.

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not exactly the opinion you are after but steel is always best. I have a couple of black nato’s I ordered and thought they were so ugly they’ve been sitting in the drawer for years!

GQkudzu likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well, for that Seiko SKX007, my first choice also is SS; be it the one that came with it or an after market one. Don't think I'd even consider a NATO nylon or a leather strap with that watch. Maybe, just maybe, dependent on the business you're in, I'd consider some sort of black rubber or black silicone strap; either one I'd want something rather understated.

{this from the guy who sometimes rotates on a Movado esq with a black case, black dial, and canary yellow strap! :). }

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 and GQkudzu like this.
  4. acidmaker

acidmaker Loaded Pockets

You could also replace the stock bracelet with a mesh bracelet, I've seen SKX on it at it looks very classy. If you still want Nato then I would rank leather over nylon.

5. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

IMHO Leather Natos really only work with field watches, and dive watches don't belong on leather anyway. Pick up the classic black and grey "Bond" Nato for it (google "skx007 bond" for a TON of images) and maybe a solid color or two as well. That watch will go on most any NATO -- sold off my SKX (which I regret on a fairly regular basis) but mine would be on a bond, a red with white "rescue" nato, or various others a good bit. Actually might still have some in one of the band boxes, if you'd like me to take a look.

6. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Stainless
    NATO
    Leather

The only one I don't see it on is leather, but that's completely my taste. Natos are completely fine for divers, but for actual diving I'd *probably* opt for a Zulu, given the choice. A NATO says "I'm not looking to be flashy. I'm lightweight and secure."

All fashion is adapted from function. The man wears a dark wool suit, white cotton collared shirt, matching leather belt and shoes, etc. From there, any conscious deviation is called "Style". James Bond wearing his Omega on a silly thin nylon strap (which happens to be his regiment colors) is a great example. Want Legos on your cufflinks? Want to wear a Mickey Mouse watch? Emperor Hirohiti (Japan WW2) wore one for the rest of his life and was buried with it after seeing the US in person. Think about what you're doing and why.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I remain amazed how few voices speak in favor of rubber or better yet silicon straps, especially for divers...

G shocks are commonly on a polymer strap; I personally find them comfortable enough. I have one watch -- absolutely not a diver, just very casual -- on a silicon strap and I think it is my most comfortable strap. Guess its just me.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

1. Keep the stainless bracelet or but mesh.
    2. Classy leather (not NATO).
    3. No other options with a suit.

If you have a more casual occasion a NATO is perfectly acceptable. If it's your only watch, keep a couple straps on hand to switch out as you wish.

9. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Silicone and polymer are great on a diver! I think we haven't talked about that because he was asking about stainless, nato, and leather specifically.

I do find that polymer bands have issues with trapping sweat and dirt against the skin for general wear. But if you're using them in the water, they're a fantastic option.

10. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

For a diver... Stainless. The only other option that makes sense for me is a polymer dive band but it is not as dressy, and I find them hot. I don't like divers on nylon bands and leather is just so wrong. However, it is your watch, wear it with whatever band makes you happy.

I am wearing that very watch as I type, on a stainless band.