1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rangeman vs. ProTrek

Discussion in 'Watches' started by steel_6, Nov 1, 2016.

1. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I've been undergoing an existential crisis regarding watches lately. I recently deployed to the Middle East, and before coming was looking for a watch to replace my pebble time steel - I was in treat yo'self mode. I really wanted something that would take a beating, definitely solar, and atomic for when I make it back to civilization. I loved the versatility of the pebble time steel, but being limited to a week's battery doesn't work out here, and as a smartwatch it can't be brought in the secure areas I work in. So I went for the Casio Protrek PRW-3000-1A - negative display, solar, atomic, nice small profile. I love this negative display - it's large and very easy to read. I've got small wrists so having the new small sensor is great - it fits very well. I got the G-Shock bug after that though, wondering if the ProTrek would be tough enough to be worn 24/7 and keep on going. So I looked around, and ordered a Rangeman GW9400-3. I'm a big fan of it, it's a little big on my wrist but not too bad. It definitely gives me a better warm and fuzzy on durability than the ProTrek. It's also negative display (which I lean towards), but the display is so hard to see! The digits are much smaller, the display much darker. The digits are almost a coyote brown instead of white like the ProTreks. The beep/alarm is for some reason much softer on the Rangeman as opposed to the ProTrek as well. I desperately wanted to be a Rangeman-wearing kind of guy, but I think I'm sticking with the ProTrek for now. Has anyone else gone through the process of analyzing/testing ProTreks vs. G-shocks?

twin63 likes this.
  2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I too took my older ProTrek to Iraq. Twice. I'd still wear it but one of the function buttons stopped working and getting it repaired wasn't worth the cost. So I went with a G Shock GW7900-B1. It's got solar atomic and negative face. Bad :censored: looking watch. But it's hard to read sometimes and the beep is not very loud. I've slept through it more than once. I never thought I'd need the ProTrek functions again so I went with the G Shock to save a few dollars. Wish I'd stuck with a ProTrek though. The 3000 is a great watch. I hear they scratch kinda easy but not too bad. I'd stick with it and sell your Rangeman. Try to recoup some of your money. Hope this helps.

twin63 likes this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a PRW3000-1A for close to 3 years now. I've had no real reason to change, but a G-Shock (G9000MS-1 Master of G Mudman) caught my eye so I thought I would give it a try. The Mudman is similiar in size to the Pro Trek, fits my smaller wrist well, and looks good. I find the display harder to see, though. Overall, I like the Mudman but it's not going to replace the Pro Trek. It sees occassional weekend duty and will be a good back up, but for right now the Pro Trek keeps the #1 spot.

4. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about picking up the G Shock GW9400-3CR with the negative face O.D green. Any thoughts on that watch? I've been wearimg a Casio Pathfinder PAG 40 for about 6 years and have been extremely happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blaker55 likes this.
  5. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, so instead of going with the Rangeman or the ProTrek, I've been pretty set on sticking with a GD-350-1B with a little button compass on the strap. The GW9400-3CR is VERY hard to see as far as the negative face goes. I've been using negative faces for more than a few years now and it's easily the dimmest. What compounds the fact is that the digits almost look like they're a coyote brown and they're small so they blend into the dark background even more. The only other issue I've got with the rangeman is that the beep volume is lower than normal as well - YMMV but the alarms, even the snooze, don't wake me up.

What I like about the GD-350-1B - it's a negative display, but the digits are nice and big, and a vibrant gold/yellow color - even easier to see than on the negative display ProTrek and visible at any angle. The vibrate alarm is great too - it can still be used with the snooze function, and it hasn't failed to wake me up yet. There's also a beep if you want that. I like the little wings on the inside of the band under the module as well, makes it a little more comfortable. the timer goes to individual seconds - I never thought there'd be a watch that didn't let you set seconds with a timer, but the Rangeman is just that.

With its 5-year battery and a little button compass from Brigade QM to the strap, the GD-350-1B has all the features I got the Rangeman for, and it's looking like this is what I'll stick with. I just need to stop looking at those Mudmasters....

JP

Edit: broke into paragraphs, and update: Something possessed me to go back to the ProTrek today and now it's all I want to wear :frantic:

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

JP: Could you maybe break your post down into paragraphs? Kind of difficult to read the way it is. And I'd really like to enjoy reading it!

Thanks

Moshe ben David

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

8. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Depends on your wrist size, I found a Rangeman works perfecly fine on my 6.5" wrist size. If you seriously beat on your watches, few watches can beat a G-Shock. But if you just want a reliable watch over all, then a Pro-trek will be good enough.

I have / had both PRW3000 and GW9400, and I ended up selling the PRW3000 because the GW9400 can do basically everything that the 3000 can, and then some.

Well actually, the PRW3000 was replaced by a PRW6000, then the 6000 was replaced by a Garmin Fenix 3.

9. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I've also landed on the Fenix 3.

10. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a GW9400-3CR and love it, can't play with it just yet do to the wife, but in 4 days it will be mine. From what I could see of it before she took it away from me :mad: it is a awesome watch.