1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

random truck search

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by happykal, Feb 8, 2014.

1. happykal

happykal Loaded Pockets

That time of year again to clean the truck. After emptying the assortment of empty Tim Horton's cups I was surprised to find the gear I had and did not have in there.

1 bag containing box of 12 gauge #7 1/2 birdshot, 1 box 12 gauge slugs, 1 box 20 gauge #6 birdshot, 1 box 20 gauge slugs, 1 box .22 LR, 1 box 180Grain .308. okay that's standard in my truck. The other 100 plus assorted shot size, lead and steel, of 12gauge shells not so much.

2 goose calls, 1 duck call, 1 acme whistle, pens, 2 rite in the rain note pads. a fiskars hatchet, cold steel kukri machete, 3 folding knives, 1 mora 511, a cold steel army shovel, a gerber folding shovel, dog training dummies, 3 pairs of gloves, matches, fishing tackle, fillet knife, paracord, space blanket, can of OFF bugspray, sunscreen, more matches, 3 pairs of socks, a toque, a neck warmer, a hat, and empty Tim Horton's Travel mug, tin of bandaids, travel pack of tylenol, bunch of stuff for my thermocell, my small tackle container that stays in my truck, a 2 litre coleman water container (minnow Bucket), a head lamp, a heavy maglite, some plastic zip ties, a trigger lock, 1 kitchen sink, 1 fire striker, 1 small pool of frozen moose blood...I don't know how that got in the back of the cab but it did. 1 multi screwdriver and a 4 ratchet straps in varying state of decay.

I carry a lot of junk in my truck but everything has a purpose.

Other then the ammunition this stuff was scattered all over my ford Ranger. It also occured to me my tow strap was gone, my jumper cables missing, and the firstaid kit made it into the house and never returned. I also used to have a bag with a change of clothes, a bottle of water and a few energybars in it and that's gone to.

I organized the truck using a milk crate to hold most of the gear and a small tool bag for my fishing tackle, paracord and knives. the hatchet, kukri and coldsteel shovel stayed in my truck. The gerber folding shovel went into the wife's car.

So I added my tow strap and clevises and put a surplus range bag with a change of clothes, 2 energy bars, 1 nalgene bottle with water, my schrade trail boss, a small fire kit (vaseline impregnated cotton and a ferro rod), 1 small first aid kit, 3pairs of socks, a pair of gloves, a neck warmer and yes 1 TOQUE.

A lot of people dont understand why I carry all this stuff, but I have been stuck in the bush and had to walk roughly 17 km back to town. No one would pick me up...I was carrying a 870 pump shotgun.:rolleyes: Hunted most the way home until some one picked me up at the 5 km mark. on the bush road.

Any way what do you guys carry in your trucks or cars.

vegassprky and Lee Bradbury like this.
  2. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I, sadly, have a very small car. The boot is so small that a mouse would get claustrophobic in there.
    However in said small boot I have a bag containing:
    Wind-up torch.
    Hi-Viz top.
    Warning Triangle.
    Jump Leads.
    Tow Rope.
    FAK.

In the driver's door pocket:
    Torch.
    Window Hammer.

Between front seats:
    Fire extinguisher.

Front console:
    Large pack of Imperial Mints (I'm addicted to them!).

Passenger seat rear pocket:
    Current AA Road Map (don't always have the sat-nav).
    London A-Z.

northwest and vegassprky like this.
  3. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

I would expect to have noticed a "kitchen sink" even with a bunch of Tim Horton's cups in my truck. Maybe to gut fish over?

I took your advice indirectly and did an inventory - glad I did:

Cell charger, old toll transponder (must give back), large scale road atlas, small scale street atlas, street maps of 3 towns I visit, whistle, wipes, frisbee, snow brush / scraper, space blanket, big maglite, 2 canvas grocery bags, spotlight, a half-dozen pens, TP, a couple lighters, raquetball ball (!), fire extinguisher, jack, lug wrench, FAK (some restocking needed) plastic bags, 3 pair gloves (1 work and 2 cold weather), spare pair sunglasses, a back-up battery box and a bottle of hand sanitizer. That's in the cab....in the tub, jumper cables, window washer fluid, 20# kitty litter, folding shovel, tow strap, 3 quarts oil, gallon of antifreeze, and a bag of assorted bungees / ratchet straps.

4. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

My Explorer and the wife's car have one of those three compartment trunk organizers.
    Both organizers have a gallon of oil, a gallon of antifreeze, an old antifreeze jug with water, a gallon of windshield washer juice, a quart of brake fluid, a quart of transmission fluid ,a roll of paper towels, a roll of toilet paper in a ziploc bag, a box of baking soda, battery terminal cleaner, tire pressure gauge, an old serpentine belt, and a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves.
    Each vehicle also has an ice scraper, a flashlight and extra batteries, a bottle of hand sanitizer and a small FAK.

I just realized that I need to buy another good set of jumper cables for my vehicle.

5. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

You need a sink to wash all that other stuff off your hands!

porkchop likes this.
  6. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

In the cab under the back seat is some White Gold and paper towels. An old sheet, for lying on the ground underneath, and an old square tent fly.
    In the canopy is a large action packer with jumper cable, axe, tarp, tire chains, towrope, two recovery straps, one 3/8" chain, one 5/16" chain, appropriate clevis', small propane lantern and propane bottle, some rope, and tarp straps, and ratchet straps. It's frigging heavy! Makes good rearend weight.

7. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

My Jeep and your truck sound like long lost twin brothers... sans Tim Horton's cups... those are only in the Hummer we take up to Manitoba. ;)

8. happykal

happykal Loaded Pockets

Long lost twin? I wouldn't compare a jeep to a ranger. The ranger was a mistake that never should have happened. Wanted a small 4x4 and I bought a manual RC car. So small inside a good fart could give you a concussion. Jeeps just look awesome. There's a couple in town that are beautiful. A Guy has one decked out all black with tinted windows, road armor bumper, big winch behind a beefy grill guard, big tires and the icing on the cake is the Zombie Response Team biohazard stickers on the side. I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

Yeah, no... I meant the stuff inside (except the fart).

BubbaFett and happykal like this.
  10. T191032

T191032 Loaded Pockets

"A lot of people dont understand why I carry all this stuff, but I have been stuck in the bush and had to walk roughly 17 km back to town. No one would pick me up...I was carrying a 870 pump shotgun.:rolleyes: Hunted most the way home until some one picked me up at the 5 km mark. on the bush road."

Well ya know how it is, "Oh look, he's got a gun, he must be out hunting." :)

11. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

My Father recently went from an extended cab down to a single cab pickup. Since he lost cargo space he needed a bigger tool box; when cleaning out the old box I found 1500 rounds of .22 LR.

He told me to keep them and I feel like I hit the jackpot!

BubbaFett likes this.