1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Random/Mindless Chit-Chat

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by MarriedTheMedic, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Pics or it didn't happen :D

I am impressed this thread made the first page without a Sweater or Cheese pic.

2. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

Sharing patient pictures is totally against company policy, not to mention HIPAA. However, I'm sure I could find something similar if you insist. :D

3. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Can't have you break the work rules. Besides that would just seem fake :)

Is it severe frostbite. I have seen on people's fingers. Nasty.

4. MarriedTheMedic

Arterial insufficiency secondary to a heart attack. Poor guy is in bad shape. We're gonna get him healed with hyperbarics, though. :D

5. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

There's a woman on Instagram who works in forensics and puts up some incredible photos of injuries and dead bodies

Factual not entertaining.

6. Ben Rubinstein

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok.

7. MarriedTheMedic

Call me weird, but I find that intriguing. :D

8. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Weird! :)

9. MarriedTheMedic

After posting that, I made a mental list of which members would come back with that exact reply. You were one of them. :giggle:

10. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Did I make the list. :D

11. MarriedTheMedic

Yes...yes, you did.

12. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

At least my reputation is still solid. :p

13. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

There is a pretty easy resolution to the recent changes. We can start person threads here in the Breakroom and continue as before. Not sure if we will be able to get some of the threads moved, but if that is an option I am sure some may prefer that. You may have start the new thread and get a mod to merge them in here. The general consensus is the Show Us threads are meant just for EDC discussion and the Breakroom for Chit Chat.

14. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Have you read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? It's quite fascinating.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As per scríbhneoir's post here, the statement below is the official EDCF policy regarding thread content.

None of the forums or sub-forums are to be chat rooms or personal blogs.

From the beginning, this privately owned forum was about the gear, giving folks a place to discuss their interests in a friendly and respectful manner. It still is. And people forged relationships through their posting responses to others' comments about their gear. It was not sterile. It was not stilted, but it respected the individual's thread and stayed on topic. If the comments drifted, staff stepped in and reminded folks with a "Back on topic" please. And it was good.

As the forum grew (and continues to grow) at a pretty dang fast clip, not every incidence of off-topic posting was identified and nipped in the bud (one of the reasons we have the report button so that members can let us know when something is amiss or awry), and members sensed that it was okay to carry on conversations within a thread. Because it was allowed, some members took it to the extreme, somehow making it legitimate. It isn't.

The Breakroom is an off-topic area of EDCF, intended to provide a place for non-EDC topical discussions and findings. For example, you smoke cigars? What kind? Have some good news to share? Super! Let us congratulate you. Want to host a givaway? Cool. Those are break room topics, not politics, not religion, etc. Nearly any topic that conforms to the family-friendly expectations and rule structure of EDCF is fine, but no, personal threads, where people can carry on conversations about whatever, are not allowed.

From the rules: "The Breakroom is not intended to be anyone's personal blog, a chat room, a vehicle to inflate post count, or a forum for a personal agenda in any venue. Threads deemed as such will be locked or removed."

We allowed a few of the threads like "Three good things that happened today" types where members are allowed to post some random things that allowed a short response. They, too, got out of hand. And we had to really rein in the giveaway threads because it became a time-intensive nightmare to eliminate the posts that were not entries.

What happens is that everyone jumps on the posting wagon, and when someone who comes looking for info on gear clicks on the "What's New" button, he/she finds a bazillion posts on stuff that has nothing to do with EDC. It gets annoying, and folks who visit for the gear lose interest and leave, too. They may not post a lot, and they may not be the most vocal, but they come to see what folks recommend or are modifying and find those types of posts are buried beneath the back-and-forth chat threads. They click on a page to view someone's edc setup for the day, and find ten pages of conversation that have nothing to do with what the person is carrying for the day.

What we want to do is to keep the other EDC threads topic specific so that someone who is interested in knowing what others carry or think of an EDC item or create doesn't have to scroll through posts that don't contribute to the thread, however fun and friendly those comments might be. It can be tedious and distracting. Community is still forged by respecting a thread's intent, and the rules have always been there; by joining, each member agrees to abide by those rules, which includes abiding by staff policy and decision. From the rules: If any member has questions or concerns about a staff decision or action, they should address them by messaging (private conversation/PC) a staff member, and not discuss, debate or question in the open-forum. Doing so is disruptive and itself a rule violation.

We encourage members to help maintain the forum’s integrity by using the “Report” function when inappropriate content or rule violations are seen.

We appreciate your cooperation.

16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Some of her photos are very confronting lol

17. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Squirrel stew...
    Take two whole squirrels, freshly barked, off a nearby tree...
    Skin and gut squirrels, slowly, insuring no fur taints the meat.
    Brine, and red wine vinegar, 2x cups each... Soak meat for 24 hours.

Take large pot. Add two boxes of chicken stock, add red wine vinegar and brined squirrels.
    Chop carrots, as many as you like, potatoes, as many as you like, one large onion, chopped finely, one large leak, cut into one inch pieces.
    Add salt, pepper, and Old Bay to taste.

Bring to boil, simmer for one hour...

Stew... Slowly...

Serve over bed of rice, if'n ya like it that way.

Anyway. The squirrel's stewed.

18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

We have a similar recipe for native hen
    Take one standard size hen, place in a pot of water with basil, garlic and a hand sized rock.
    Boil until the rock is soft then throw out the hen and drink the broth

19. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found out i'm predictable.

20. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

I never said it was good ;)
    But the squirrel IS stewed :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.