1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

raker ring tool arrived

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by sveqs, Mar 31, 2010.

1. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    (my palm is 4 inches across)
    [​IMG]

Just a week after I ordered my Raker Ring Tool ATS-34 from Raker Knives, it made it across the ocean and arrived at my desk yesterday.
    The tool is a bit smaller than I expected but it fits my hand nicely. The included split ring makes it easier to exert force when cutting, and helps putting it on my keychain, where the matte surface blends in with the keys.
    Upon suggestion from Ray Kirk, the manufacturer, I put it on a retractable badge holder, which in turn I clipped on my waist band. The tool thus rides just under my belt (= shirt hides it nicely), ready for deployment.

I have not done much cutting / scraping with it yet.
    I shredded a narrow neck band, folded fourfold, it cut right through with a light pull.
    More tests should follow.

Customer service was excellent too (Please note the 'thank you' note above), I goofed up Paypal but Ray mailed the package nevertheless, trusting me that I would eventually straighten things out (which I did)

Overall, a very nice gadget, and a potentially very useful one, too - THANK YOU, RAY!
    greg

2. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

I have three of those little babies, even a prototype in Damascus. I have maybe 10 or so of his various pieces. Ray does great work and is a great guy to boot!

3. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

Somebody point me to Raker's site! Useful looking tool.

4. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

Are the Hex holes on the tool designed with anything specific in mind? or is it just 2 fairly common sizes?

5. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Here is the link
    http://rakerknives.com/damascus_tools.htm
    The reason I chose this specific model is that
    (1) I don't need the O2 wrench, this is just a 'civilian' urban EDC item for me, and
    (2) this has a metric wrench which is pretty handy when you live in Europe :)
    I don't think it is dedicated to any specific purpose, but 10mm is a pretty common size over here
    Given the overall size of the tool, I don't think I'll be doing much nut-tightening with it, but it is reassuring to have it nonetheless

6. rix

rix Loaded Pockets

Yes, a very handy EDC! Picked mine up in November when he did the MTO special. Fine Christmas gift

7. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Those are great little tools! I have an ATS-34 model on my keychain. I bought one in damascus for my wife and she loves it.

--Bob Q

8. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Its a great tool! I take it with me everytime I drive! The only thing it seemed to catch on on stuff(did'nt carry on key ring with keys) So I made a simple kydex sheath for it and no problems!

9. donvito

donvito Empty Pockets

I got one of those too, it's part of my key chain edc. Great little tool.

10. koolranch

koolranch Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a damascus one today!!! It should be here Saturday or Monday.

11. raykirk

raykirk Banned

I am very glad that the Ring Tool has been useful to all the customers that have purchased them. That is one of the things that make it all worth while. I am going to put a damascus double hex on EDCSource.com today. I finally got a few of them completed. Thanks to all of you for your posts.

Doraemon likes this.
  12. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Ray, I am glad you found this thread. I truly enjoy having your tool on me.
    I am gradually discovering its limits (cuttingwise) and I must say there are just a limited things it cannot do: basically it does not like anything slack. It snags on loose materials, and it really dislikes opening envelopes (but of course cutting paper is not a healthy option for any knife :) )
    But it does go clean through anything with enough resistance to facilitate push-cutting.
    I was really surprised for example how easily it went through green twigs the diameter of its opening (which is, what, 5 mm?)
    Today I was assembling a new bed for my two-year-old and having the tool on the retractable line was extremely handy
    I did not exert much force on the screwdriver head, don't want to risk damaging it - have you tested what torque it can withstand?

lovely piece, really! I like your damascus
    the description there says it can also be used as a bottle opener.
    Do you second that? I have not tried, for fear of aforementioned damage, but it would turn this neat and useful tool into an essential edc item for me!
    (or is the ATS-34 tool too thin for that?)

be well, Greg

13. mchlwise

mchlwise Loaded Pockets

14. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I had a look on the site but coundnt find it, how much is the international postage on one of these?

15. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

drop a mail to Ray he'll give you the details pronto

16. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

OK, I did some thinking, you know, stainless steel vs aluminium caps, tool vs jewelry, and just starting popping them beer bottles :)
    what do you know... the raker ring tool does work as a cap lifter!
    well, ok, not a perfect one, might take more than one try to remove the cap, because of its thin profile, but it does the job without damaging the bottle or spilling my drink. Yippie :roof:

17. Butler

Butler Empty Pockets

Just ordered the damascus one; looks great. I needed a pry bar / bottle opener, and the fact that it has a seatbelt/rope/other cutter and a hex wrench makes it even better. Plus beautiful damascus, and all for $35? Amazing value.

18. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Is it hard to resharpen the seat belt cutter on that?

19. RJNC

RJNC Loaded Pockets

How long are they overall? I'm going to buy one of his BITE ferro tools today I think.

20. leobloom

leobloom Loaded Pockets

I like..maybe my atwoods'll get a little brother