1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rain Jacket

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by DYatesPhoto, Sep 6, 2011.

1. DYatesPhoto

DYatesPhoto Loaded Pockets

Looking for a reusable rain jacket that folds up small and is light...any ideas?

2. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

The MEC Hydrofoil is usually folded up in my bag. Before that it was a Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka, which folds up even smaller.

3. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

I traveled through Ireland with a Marmot Precip. It shed the rain well and folded up small enough to fit into the pocket of my cargo pants.

4. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

The Columbia "Watertight" jacket I own is great. Lightweight, great hood, lots of pockets, and features the Omni-Tech waterproof/breathable multilayer weather protection system. I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for about $60 (originally $90.00). It's packable too. Packs down to about a 9"x9". I usually keep it in a bag or hanging out in my truck for when I'm fishing.

5. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Marmot Precip and the Columbia Watertight, I have both (I prefer the Marmot). LL Bean sells some good packable rain jackets. Their GOR-Tex Stowaway jacket has gotten my attention and may possibly be my next purchase.

6. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

+1 Marmot Precip

7. lastquillscout

lastquillscout Empty Pockets

I'm in Ireland, on vacation, as I'm typing this. It has rained five of the last seven days. I was using the GOR-Tex Stowaway from L.L. Bean, which I bought for this trip. It is not the smallest jacket when folded up but it shed the rain with great ease. It has a mesh inside to keep the clammy feeling away from my skin, which was a problem with my cheapo rain jacket from the army navy store. The price was $165 so it is pretty expensive, but it did it's job very well. It also is very good as a wind breaker. I would recommend it because it kept me comfortable in the harsh conditions of south west Ireland. I also recommend rain pants to go with the jacket.

8. julioroman

Hey, what are the dimensions of that stowaway when its folded up?... and what size do you wear? I'm starting to figure out that because I wear an XXL it doesn't quite pack as small as I'd like =\

9. Colindn

Colindn Loaded Pockets

+4 for marmot (not sure if mine is actually the same model as the precip, but it's fantastic, light, and compresses into a softball)

10. Force Attuned

Force Attuned Loaded Pockets

I have one of the Propper Lvl 4 jackets. Weighs almost nothing and folds up to almost nothing.

Very basic but a good rainstopper.

I also have one of the of the Underarmour Barrage jackets (in black). Also quite light and does its job of repelling rain well. Full zip with hidden pockets and folds well.

11. lastquillscout

@juliorman When I get back into the states I'll get the dimensions for you. It's been a bad travel day for me. Don't fly Air Canada.

12. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

"While we were in Ireland it only rained once; from the day we landed to the day we left." :laugh:

13. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

I have packable Columbia jacket and pants. It works great with the interchange soft shell jacket, it zips right into the shell when I want stay warm and dry.

14. lastquillscout

[​IMG]

The dimensions for the Gor-Tex Stowaway from L.L. Bean are about 9"x9"x3".

15. julioroman

What size do you wear? if its XXL thats quite acceptable :D

16. lastquillscout

@Julioroman It is a size large. I'm not sure what the 2X would pack to. I actually found it easier to just fold it up and tuck it into my bag in a U shape so my other stuff would be cupped by it. When I have time I could take a pic to show you what I mean.

17. backfist

backfist Loaded Pockets

Arcteryx Beta SL. Light, but great protection from the elements.

18. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Marmot Precip has treated me well... but my new REI Kimtah jacket made of eVent is even nicer...

19. spoolup

spoolup Empty Pockets

A little late but WTH, I was looking for a lighter alternative to my Arcteryx alpha top and bottom and came across the Marmot precip and the Patagonia Torrentshell. I went to backcountry.com and tried them both on and ended up getting the Patagonia's. Either are great piece of gear, but a few little things I did not like about each.

Patagonia- I own a bit of their stuff so Im already loyal and nothing has let me down other than my girlfriend making fun of my green R4 jacket which she calls me a walking christmas tree when I wear it, but man is it warm. Like the hood adjustments better, the rear velcro deal of the precip is poor to me. the draw string on the hood face cinch is inside so it does not create a bunch of noise which is usefull hunting. The color "alpha green" is VERY close in color to the arcteryx leaf crocodile, like a tan green that is very subdued.

Marmot- a little cheaper, the pants have a full zip option, pocket vents, alot of color options,

Neutrals-
    dual storm flaps, really helps keep the water out, but then it also gets in the way (kind of neutral on this one, but its an extra), its a little lighter on the jacket, pants however weighed more. The precip had a few reviews that it leaked in heavy rain where the torrentshell did not.

Glad I went with the torrentshell, have used them a few times so far and have been pleased with their performance. Right now is a great time to buy either since last years colors are discounted as well.

20. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

I too was looking for the same kind of jacket and I've been looking at suggestios here and they are all top notch but I can't help to notice the prices are all in the high end side... Is there anything for someone on a budget!?!