1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rain Coat / Jacket Help

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Wishoot, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I'm looking for a waterproof raincoat to replace a very old and leaky one. Here's my criteria:

- Under $100 USD. A little more expensive is okay.
    - Somewhat breathable. I'll be using this for moderate hiking and a bit of city use. My hiking excursions can last for a few hours.
    - Packable hood. Not essential, but nice to have.
    - Under arm vents. Again, not essential, but nice.
    - Good warranty / return policy. I prefer to give my money to companies that stand behind their products.

As with everything, there are a million options out there and my tendency is to over-analyze.

Thanks for your help!!

2. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Frogg toggs bull toggs.

Jake

Wishoot likes this.
  3. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Take a look at reviews on thewirecutter.com and on outdoorgearlab.com for rain jackets. switchbacktravel.com just did a review of rain coats too. I've found these three sites line up well with what I'm looking for or provide enough info to make a decision.
    May son has the Marmot Precip and it holds up well to his abuse. I have a Neoshell jacket from RAB that is the most comfortable waterproof layer I've owned, bit pricey though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tandem and Wishoot like this.
  4. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I'll direct you to what I just got about two months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF13N1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Carhartt Rockford jacket.
    Its 32 bucks shipped and great! (that price for the green only, other colors more,but I wanted the green more anyway, add some color to my wardrobe)
    Ive worn it in temps from 40 - 75 and felt great in all of them.

Its very packable too, takes up very little room in a bag.
    And it still leaves you with 70 bucks to buy other crap.

Wishoot likes this.
  5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I have a Condor Summit Zero soft shell that has all of the features you mentioned. It definitely has the tactical look though, if that factors into your decision. While it's always kept me dry in the rain and snow here in Idaho, I don't know how it would perform in a regular heavy rain environment (at least when compared to a hard shell rain coat). I'll wash in some Nikwax technical fabric waterproofing once a year to keep it fresh. After 3 years, I'm still pretty happy with it.

Edit: I'm not familiar with Condor's customer policies as I've never dealt with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  6. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you want something lighter weight and easily packable. I have REI, Sierra Designs and Mountain Hardwear shells and the Mountain Hardware is by far the best of the bunch that I picked up for around $140 on Sierra Trading Post with a coupon that you can always find. 1000% waterproof but no removable hood. However, the Mountain Hardware is the heaviest. For hiking in the rain wearing a pack it really depends on the temperature... there is no 1-size fits all. For walking around town I use my REI with the removable hood; however, it doesn't breath worth a dam... but it was only $80 and you can't beat their guarantee. It packs really small. Take a look at REI, Sierra Trading Post and Campmor for sales and closeouts. Also, don't rule out a bicycling jacket. I have one that is really comfortable and packs down to nothing. Lots of choices out there... good luck!

Wishoot likes this.
  7. nylaw

nylaw Loaded Pockets

I have the Precip. It folds into the left pocket. I keep it folded in the drivers door pocket. Obviously it is very wrinkled when I need it but so light and waterproof.

WillAdams and Wishoot like this.
  8. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

At sub-$100 you're looking at some kind of DWR jacket but the good news is that just about everyone makes at least one. They're all going to do about the same thing, although fabrics and fit may vary slightly. I happened to be in REI today and picked up a North Face "Venture" jacket off the clearance rack. I had it narrowed down to that and a Patagonia (I don't remember the model). The sales guy told me that Patagonia's jackets tends to be for a "slimmer" build than North Face. The North Face jacket's fabric also was a bit heavier than the Patagonia jacket and he seemed to think the North Face would stand up to a bit more abuse.

I'm replacing an aging LL Bean Gore-Tex jacket that apparently shrunk hanging in the closet. I need a little more room on cooler days to throw a fleece under it. If you're interested in a gently used jacket...I can give you a good deal on one. <lol>

Wishoot likes this.
  9. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

+1 on Fopgg Toggs. Not the most durable, but at their price point I consider it disposable. I carry one everywhere, and even use it on the motorcycle in summer. Plus is that they have pants as well.

Wishoot likes this.
  10. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I own a Gore tex jacket I bought at Bass Pro of all places years ago, maybe 15, maybe more, and it has been an incredibly good jacket. I don't wear it everyday but it's been worn a lot, all over the country and in every environment. Lightweight with a hood and several pockets, I wore it today with some rain coming in and it still looks great. It's been fishing in Florida, hunting in the Rockies and most places in between. I don't know what they cost today but if I were to replace it I would buy another just like it. Although they probably don't make it anymore I would try to find something similar even if I had to pay a little more. A lightweight gore Tex jacket over top a good down jacket is a good combination.

Wishoot likes this.
  11. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Lots of good choices out there so my suggestion is do the research then buy from REI Garage (using their current 20% off discount). That way you get a good coat at a decent price and backed by the store return policy if it does not perform for your needs.

Wishoot likes this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the REI Garage.

13. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Well.... Having the good fortune of living 12 minutes away from a Duluth Trading store, I popped in just to see what they had to offer. I came home with this:
    [​IMG]

It's packed with every feature I was looking for and more. The price after discounts was $100. With camping coming up in June, trips to Portland, OR and Portland, ME also in the near future, it will be put to the test very soon.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

14. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I'd be broke. 80% of what I wear is from there already but I limit myself to ordering during free shipping deals. Their Duluth flex firehouse pants are the best. @$65 a pair though it adds up quick.

WillAdams and Wishoot like this.
  15. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

It is a bit too convenient that the store is only 12 minutes away.

Their NO Bull guarantee is about as good as it gets too.

Last edited by Wishoot, Mar 29, 2017
    #15 Wishoot, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

Wishoot likes this.
  17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Best thing I've ever found for overall performance was a Solstice Gortex parka/shell I bought years ago. I absolutely brutalized that thing and it stayed 100% water"proof" yet breathable. I loved that jacket! It was packable and most fleeces zipped into it for warmth. It was my climbing jacket back when I was mountaineering. Although I still have it, I wore that thing plumb out, and boy did it take a beating and keep on ticking. Not sure they're still in business, but were I looking for a rain jacket I'd definitely be looking for something like that. The sleeves were all double coated with heavier cordura for abrasion as were the shoulders. It had everything you could want.

Were I to be looking for something today, I'd probably be looking at Arcteryx or Outdoor Research, for something that's the 'real deal', not a wannabe.

Wishoot likes this.
  18. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Love Arcteryx and Outdoor Research clothing. But for my light to moderate use, they're probably a bit overkill and cost twice as much as what I was able to find at Duluth Trading. If I were back into Thru-hiking or long distance hiking, I'd probably spring for something that's been thoroughly tested in harsh conditions. Now that I'm a bit older, my hiking is pretty much limited to day trips that are 10 miles or less.

19. Barrister

Barrister Loaded Pockets

Which duluth jacket is that? Looks right up my alley.

20. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

ballistic likes this.