1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

R.A.T.S. Tourniquet

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Feb 22, 2016.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm still torn on the RATS. I carry a CAT in my FAKs and they're great, but for a 'pocket trauma kit' I have a 4" Israeli dressing wrapped in a SWAT-T but I'm not a fan of the SWAT. it's tricky to apply one handed and I'm not 100% sure how effective it is. But, when it comes down to it, it's half the size of the CAT and will fit in a jeans pocket, and is better than improvising or using a belt.

I debated the RATS for a while but ultimately, the SWAT is cheaper and I'm gonna need to replace a pocket TQ more often than one in a bag because of the heat and friction. From my preliminary research, I can't really tell a difference between the RATS and the SWAT.

2. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

3. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

4. marilynmonbro

marilynmonbro Empty Pockets

It's kind of convenient to carry a RATS wrapped around your waist or down your pant leg, but a SOFT is still a smaller package in the pocket. And it performs better... So there's that

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

thekapow and ballistic like this.
  5. CAPOC38A

CAPOC38A Empty Pockets

The RATS is better than nothing, but they are the least effective TQ because they require it to be applied a certain way depending on where it's applied. Also....http://www.itstactical.com/medcom/medical/is-the-r-a-t-s-tourniquet-misleading-consumers-with-tccc-approval/

6. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

I had the MD that is assigned to my team next to me in some training that was provided by Dallas PD on active shooters. An offshoot of that was a discussion of prehospital care in an AS setting. The officer very proudly pointed out his paracord bracelet and said it made an "excellent" TQ, and also talked up the RATS as a small TQ that could be carried and was "highly effective." My doc and I looked at each other in horror. As soon as that session was over we pulled my team together and said this was a no-go.
    My concern with the RATS is that it takes multiple wraps, it is more likely to form compartmentalization and tissue/muscle damage, and requires greater pressure to stop bleeding relative to a CATS or similar wide-band TQ.
    If I had absolutely nothing else, yes I'd use a RATS and hope that I didn't mess things up too badly down the line once the casualty gets to emergent care. But that's why I have several CATS on my bag and nearby. I don't want to be in that position in the first place.

tdb likes this.
  7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

M24Shooter... Great points on the RATS. It just is mediocre in world of well tested, functional options. In a hands on testing session we did locally, there was no one who would have choose RATS over even a SWATT, which is a pretty compromised TQ due to durability.

Recent video of a Vegas shooting that ends in a TQ use. Very graphic, full of naughty words and you will see a huge amount of blood-
    https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/las-vegas-metro-ois-72417-critical-assessment/

I came out impressed with ankle carry from this video.

Last edited by HardToHandle, Aug 13, 2017
    #88 HardToHandle, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    M24shooter, bmstrong and tdb like this.
  8. Bkjsdc09

Bkjsdc09 Loaded Pockets

Not to mention, when tested they failed to provide complete occlusion. Stick to CAT's or SOFFT's. I prefer the SOFFT's because they have an aluminum windlass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdb likes this.
  9. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

I will gladly take either a CAT or an SOFTT-W. Both are adequate tourniquets and the plastic windlass of the CAT does not bother me. Having dedicated training TQs to ensure no stress is put on the windlass or strap prior to real world use virtually eliminates any concerns of breakage for me. Either one is far far superior to a RAT!

Bkjsdc09 likes this.
  10. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

This video is awesome, I saw this right after it came out but forgot where I had seen it! Glad you posted this awhile ago and it jogged my memory looking at it now!

As for ankle carry it is by far my preferred way to have a TQ, some combatgauze, and a pressure bandage on me almost all the time. I use the Ricci Ankle Rig... I did a quick video review on youtube I can post if anyone is interested...