1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

R.A.T.S. Tourniquet

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

When I think of efficiency, ease of use is what I'm referring to in that style of TQ. Neither are as good as CAT/SOFT T, but varying degrees of better than improvised. Won't know for sure unless I buy one to try. Just my opinion, YMMV.

jag-engr likes this.
  2. noDave

noDave Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents. Working in EMS since 1997 I can tell you that any EMS agency decides what items they will carry based on two main things - 1. How much does it cost. 2. Does it work. The only TQ any agency I have worked for has ever carried is the CAT. I've worked private EMS, inner city EMS and now flight. The CAT is not the cheapest, but is very easy to apply, and works very well. Believe me, if they can use something else that works as well and is cheaper we would have switched to it. Until there are any studies out there (multiple, not just one study with limited cases) that show it works, I would rather use my belt as a modified TQ. For many things the cheaper item will work just fine, for a lifesaving device, carry one that is tested, not just hey that looks like a good idea.

3. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Ease of use on myself was the determining factor for me in choosing the RAT.

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

What are your thoughts on the CAT's viability for use by an infrequent user in applying it to themselves? Can it be effectively applied with one-hand?

chaosmagnet and jag-engr like this.
  5. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Is it effective at stopping arterial blood flow?
    Carried in the onehanded configuration the CAT can be effectively applied by a user trained in its use.

There's absolutely no reason to be an "infrequent user", get one for training and one for action and train. Again and again.

Codeman and noDave like this.
  6. noDave

noDave Loaded Pockets

As Swe_Nurse said - don't be an infrequent user. Most medics are not frequent users of TQ's. There are a number of things that we are trained to do as professionals that are very uncommon and in some places just not done. We train those things frequently.

In my personal kit I have my TQ unpackaged and setup so that I can put it on one handed. I tried to type out how I use it but a quick video will be easier. Sorry for the quality, I don't make videos, and I don't like public speaking.

Bedhead, Tenfooterpipi and Codeman like this.
  7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Thank you, folks. I know I need to practice, so infrequent referred to actual use. My bad for not being clear, but I'm glad you both reinforced the need for practice.

Your quick video is great, noDave. I have a local brick & mortar store that stocks the CAT, so I'll be getting one very soon. I'll turn the RAT into my most expensive bungee cord.:cool:

Good question, which I can't answer. But, I've had enough engineering training to know there's no way the RAT can apply sufficient pressure as easily as the CAT''s rod. Leverage beats out brute force. That is so obvious now that you've asked the question, I'm surprised that I didn't see it earlier.

Last edited by Codeman, Sep 2, 2016
  8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice video! One minor thing I would add is I always secure the white strap at the same side so its out of the way and dont need to be fiddled with (like you kinda did at the end of the video). [​IMG]
    Btw, look at that sexy orange ;)

noDave likes this.
  9. noDave

noDave Loaded Pockets

I do like that orange color!

I actually cover the hole because I want the bar free and be able to twist it immediately, but I might practice with it to see how much of a difference it makes.

10. Joelski

Joelski Loaded Pockets

Actually, USSOCOM added the SOF-T Wide to its very short list of accepted tourniquets in 2012-13 and added it to TCCC and CUF training and protocols. By proxy this has filtered to standard military and brand is supply chain dependent. Same working principal, metal windlass and therefore better in some opinions in charged situations (and what tourniquet use wouldn't be dripping adrenaline?).

thekapow likes this.
  11. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats a good point :)!

12. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

http://www.smarttourniquet.com/

Seems like an uptick in TQ products and research. I believe the SOF® Tactical Tourniquet-Wide (SOF®TT-W) is quietly undergoing a generation 4 test for 2018+.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's brilliant - zip-tie tourniquet. It seems like it would take a little more training to apply correctly, but I could see how it coudl be much faster.

14. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

15. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

16. siwel

siwel Loaded Pockets

So a guy I work with has rave reviews of the RATS. We are on a TEMS team together. He also does some stuff with the 10th group up at Ft. Carson. He said they used a US machine to view blood flow after applying on of these and it was nil. I have doubts. Like when a rifle round to the bone breaks your arm and you are trying to put it on and your flinging around. I have one that I just bought and after appling it I have no cap refill. I currently use CAT TQs in my medic vest and in my aid bag. I think there is some info on TQs, in the form of white papers, I will try to find. I think the guy from Element Rescue posted them. Maybe the CoTECC did. I will look....

17. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

If prepared, yes, you can apply the SOF-T one handed.

You have to pre-thread the buckle, it's how I store mine. Easier to unthread with two hands than thread with only one.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  18. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

19. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

So a Puls Ox is not the proper way to test if a Tq is effective. There will be residual oxygen left attached to the hemoglobin in your blood. If you want to perform a real test to see if it is effective get a Doppler Ultrasound and find the popliteal arterie then attach your Tq on your thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

noDave and syntaxerrorsix like this.