1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

R.A.T.S. Tourniquet

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Feb 22, 2016.

1. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

I keep seeing these pop up on feeds and YT. Is it time to take them seriously or are these still considered gimmicks by deployed personnel?

2. MattNate

MattNate Empty Pockets

When I was deployed I had the CAT Tourniquet and liked it. It is widely available and I would imaging it is still the Army's go to choice. I recently purchased a R.A.T.S Tourniquet and I must be honest, it is the easiest Tourniquet I have ever had to use. For one handed application, I personally think it is far easier to use than others. The only down side I see to the R.A.T.S. is that I have a hard time packing it away. As far as a gimmick, no, I just think it hasn't caught on as well commercially yet.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  3. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I have worked with and own CAT, SWAT, TK4 and RATS.

My least favorite is the SWAT. Its not bad, its just not as good as the others for applying to your self or others.

TK4 is cheap, but it is harder to apply correctly,

CAT is now my favorite secondary TQ. Its harder to apply to yourself, but your much more likely to get it correct the first time.

RATS - It is the easiest by far for self-application. RATs are now my primary TQ on any kit. That means it is attached somewhere outside the kit. You can get pretty creative with attaching them to equipment. If you are wearing MOLLE, you can just feed it under the straps and make a pull cord. Just make sure you limit the curves (one large U bend is best). You can coil it in the water-bladder section in packs with the clip used as a pull handle to rip it out ready to go. Its more unruly than the others, but there are solutions.

Kevin B, marcclarke and RAMBOCAT like this.
  4. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

I really like the RATS! The hard part to me is taking it off (Which is a good sign that it will hold up!). One time I got it so tight and the cleat was so cinched down I had to cut it off. It's pretty easy and fast to put on. I've got one on all of my Molle gear just woven through the loops as well.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  5. AK47Uprising

AK47Uprising Loaded Pockets

Despite the RATS trying to be misleading with its "TCCC Approved" label, keep in mind that the only two tourniquets that have been recommended by the CoTCCC are the CAT and SOFT-T. I'm sure there are reasons behind that.

Food for thought.

resq14, tdb and 343KD like this.
  6. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

All my CATs are sitting at home, gathering dust. Switched em all with RATS

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  7. VinnyP
    • The Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

For me one concern is, if you are not the one applying it, will the responder be trained/confident to use it on you or yours. That is probably the case for CAT and SOFT unlikely for RATS given that they are not approved yet.

VSchep01 likes this.
  8. Wizard Nick

Wizard Nick Loaded Pockets

If you wanna donate your CATS, I'll take them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VinnyP and tdb like this.
  9. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hate them, not enough evidence, not used by anyone, no case reports, no studies, not approved by anyone.. Nothing. In my opinion its all about hype, its very popular to sell because it costs almost nothing for the web-shops to buy and can be sold at 10x the price. When looking at the literature the only valid alternative to Cat/soff is swat-t and defi emt so far.

VSchep01, JoshTF, resq14 and 3 others like this.
  10. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

I like my lifesaving devices to be proven/verified in some way or another. Preferably with studies/trials and real world use. I don't believe there is anything of the sort for the RATS... Shooting video with a pulse oximeter and putting it on youtube does not qualify as a study or real world use. I hope my opinion proves wrong about the RATS and it turns out to be the greatest TQ ever invented, but until that day I'll stick with my CATS and SOFTT-W...

VinnyP likes this.
  11. AK47Uprising

AK47Uprising Loaded Pockets

There's just not enough supporting evidence for them or real world applications. You're trusting something to save your life off of trust of the design and theory. It's not a risk I'd want to take.

I will say though, and it's worth saying, that they look like they are more compact which may allow for carrying in situations where carrying a CAT is impractical and in that case, I think it would obviously be better than nothing.

VinnyP and tdb like this.
  12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

It's nothing more than an attempted return to rubber tubing. No good then and no good now.

resq14, VinnyP and Wizard Nick like this.
  13. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

It will get the job done. Trained with them maybe not enough. I can apply my SOF and CAT under 30 seconds because that's what I train with. Same goes for RATS. Problem is that if someone is pulling one of your body and is not cross trained they will figure it out but do you have the time?

14. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

It may, but how do we know?

That's the problem with the R.A.T.S., we do not know if it works or not. I think the R.A.T.S. is an interesting concept, it looks quite handy, it is relatively inexpensive and can be carried in many ways but the evidence that it works just isn't there.

15. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

You are correct. But I can't use it on the job as it is not issued so I don't have real life feedback on rats only training. In order to go mainstream they need independent testing and someone with authority:respect to push it out. Personally I look upon FDA as a bunch of crooks and treat most of their approval seals as "I paid my dues and bribed the right people" tag. In the end guy has an interesting product that is cheaper, compact and easier to use.

16. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

+1 For RATS.

17. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

My experience with "bystanders" (people without training beyond first aid) are that CAT and SOFT are a lot more self-explanatory than RATS.
    Even those who never seen a TQ can usually use windlass one correctly, but many of them didn't tie RATS properly in the end.

18. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Can you apply either on your own arm with one hand (assuming your other hand is missing).

VSchep01 likes this.
  19. VinnyP
    • The Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I can apply all of them but the CAT and SOFT are easier especially in less than ideal conditions as you need far less room to do so. They also easier to adjust without removing them.
    A lessor consideration given life over limb, but being so thin they are far more likely to do serious damage, they are even much thinner than the recommended width for an improvised TQ.

Timlugia likes this.
  20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

An open question to the people that advocates the use of the R.A.T.S:
    In what way have you tested it? Distal pulses? Doppler? Real life arterial bleed? Some other way?

If you haven't tested it yourself, how do you know it is effective given the lack of studies?

VinnyP and maillet282 like this.