1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quikclot - Sponge, Rolled Dressing or Z-Folded????

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Goob469, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

So, I have carried Quikclot sponge as a LEO in my IFAK for several years. I've had some limited training in it's use - meaning, I feel comfortable knowing when and how to use it. Reading medical studies, DoD studies and personal stories, I wouldn't go on duty without it.

However, I have been starting to think about putting together some personal IFAK's. I started to explore Qickclot options - Sponge, Rolled Dressing or Z-Folded and the vastly different prices, I find myself very confused. I was hoping someone could explain, beyond the physical attributes, the differences as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I have searched through the 10 pages of posts related to Quickclot but did see anything.

2. greg.279

greg.279 Empty Pockets

I've considered this too, and it seems to me that the sponge is a "recreational" version, for people with no first aid training, or less serious injuries. Also, I look at it like you can't pack that sponge into the channel of a bullet wound like the gauze if at all, so the sponge seems less useful to me. I looked at the instructions for the sponge once, and I think you have to hold it on the wound for a while. I like the gauze because if an injury's that bad, you probably need to pack it, tape it up, and gtfo. The Army issued us the z-fold, and it worked well in an ifak since it was mostly flat.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

3. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Talk to your local paramedic/EMT. Had one come talk to our womens shooting group and they told us just carry 4x6 gauze pads. Cheaper, never expires and no instructions needed. Call 911, cover and apply pressure. Pressure is important.

Weko and MedicInTraining like this.
  4. Joe S

Joe S Empty Pockets

I'm not a medical expert of any type, worth what you paid for, yadda yadda yadda...

Agreed, the sponge is for less serious injuries. And if it's not immediately life-threatening, you don't need QuickClot.

The gauze lets you pack it inside the channel of a penetrating wound, to get the hemostatic up against a leaky vessel where the hemostatic can do its job, as well as apply pressure. The Z-fold is faster and easier to carry, being flatter. That answers it for me.

5. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

The Z-Fold is best for deep "puncture" wounds (that's what I carry) that will kill you, a normal deep cut can be taken care of in other ways.

#5 Chris_1001, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    chaosmagnet and greg.279 like this.
  6. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

So after lots of research and an email exchange with QuickClot what I have been able to ascertain is the sponge and rolled Rolled Dressing are "generation 2" QuickClot products using Zeolite as the clotting agent. The Z-Fold is a "generation 3" QuickClot product that uses Kaolin as the clotting agent. Also, the Z-Fold is suppose to be faster to deploy due not having to unroll it - just grab and pack into the wound.

That's what my research and understanding is...

chaosmagnet likes this.
  7. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Loaded Pockets

Can confirm, I have heard the same for local medical directors about changes in hemostatic agent. I believe part of the change is because kaolin's reaction with blood does not produce any heat.

If I was to carry QuickClot on body, recommend both squares and z-fold. You can knot and stuff wounds with z-fold while maintain most of it "sterile" in bag. The squares can be layered on top to assist or can be used for other bleeding situation (ie. lacerations).

8. jberner88

jberner88 Empty Pockets

Depends on what you are carrying it for but I personally feel that if you were to carry a few hemostatic 4x4's, an Israeli bandage, and an ace wrap or two, you should be able to treat a wide variety of wounds you could encounter/sustain.

9. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Interesting.

10. bakpackr

bakpackr Loaded Pockets

Z-fold. I've been carrying Quikclot since it was only available in powder form, but have switched over to Celox brand as it has tested better.

11. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

What study did you look at? I have only read studies in favor of quickclot so far.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk