1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quickclot

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by trenta, Aug 3, 2010.

1. trenta

trenta Loaded Pockets

Was just wondering if anyone has used a quickclot pad and whether it was that much more effective than a standard FAK pad?
    Thanks

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Oh, yes. For what it's good for (uncontrollable hemorrhage that can't be controlled with a tourniquet) it's great. It's not supposed to be used as a routine bandage.

3. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

4. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the video. I've been keeping one in my FAK that goes with me hunting/hiking. I think now I'll get a couple more to add to my car etc.

5. Fusion

Fusion Empty Pockets

So given that there are many types of Quick Clot available I want to make sure you know what you are buying and using. The original Quickclot in the OD green pouch that felt like an MRE meal (hard as a rock) is what they were showing in that video. It works and works very well. As most everyone knows it did generate heat and cause some burns, not a big deal if you were dealing with a life threatening hemorrhage. However many people were using it for wounds other than a life threatening injury, injuries that can easily be controlled with direct pressure. This is why doc's hated it, lack of recognition of a life threatening injury vs a Boo-Boo for lack of a better term and the creation of additional injuries, burns, when simple direct pressure would have done the job.

So Z-Medica went back to work and created Quick Clot ACS+ (Advanced Clotting Sponge). This generated much less heat but it also does not work like the original Quick Clot. Go HERE and click on the PDF link or the picture of the graph for the most recent United States Army Institute of Surgical Research (USAISR). I have broken down the basics of the study in the body of the article.

In the OP trenta asks if Quick Clot is better than a standard pad - The original Quick Clot yes, the new Quick Clot ACS+ NO. In the study Placebo Gauze (regular woven gauze) controlled bleeding for about 60 minutes, Quick Clot ACS+ about 10-15 minutes.

In short if you are gonna use hemostatic agents I would use either Combat Gauze or Celox.

Stay Safe

6. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I have a question that some might not understand.. In majic stores they have a powder that acts like quick clot. The majicians put about a tea spoon amount in a cup when you are not watching. They fill the cup with liquid when you are watching. Then they pretend to spil the the contents on you. When this hapens, the liquid has hardened into a thick super thick jell. I wonder, it is the same powder as quick clot?

7. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust ..
    Using ashes is the most proven forum of clotting ..

This country [USA] was inhabited by the Native Americans long before my Ancestors invaded ..
    There are many things we all can learn from these ways that still exist from opening our minds and spirit,
    to what is truly of this earth and it's dweller's ..

BE WELL .. GH

8. Flight-ER-Doc

No. Quick Clot is a mineral, zeolite. Its a little rock with tiny pores in it. The pores are of a size that water, in blood, will enter, but the rest of the stuff in blood doesn't: This has the effect of concentrating the blood and blood clotting factors so you can clot.

The powder you're talking about is also in diapers and things, it forms a gel.

9. Flight-ER-Doc

Yeah, OK. Dump some highly corrosive, alkaline ashes into one of your wounds and let us know how it works. BTW you know that lye is made from wood ash?

10. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Hey Doc,

When I hear stuff like this I always think of The Grapes of Wrath and the pee mud dressing... what are your feelings on the John Steinbeck method of bleeding control ;D

11. Flight-ER-Doc

I'd probably get banned.....

12. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I have and it worked, We did not have Quick Clot 30 years ago .. and yes I have made soap with lye ..

BE WELL .. GH

13. G22

G22 Empty Pockets

Carry the waist pouch much of the time and keep a tourniquet, quick clot gauze, & pressure bandage in there the same way we keep spare mags in there, we specifically keep Celox Gauze product in the auto emergency kits as it works on Heprinized blood which is an increased possibility due to our location (and my dad lives with us and he is on blood thinners), and it suffers Zero effects due to excessive heat exposure. QuickClot Gauze is in everyone's AFIK kits except dad's; he's got a roll of the Celox Gauze.

14. Flight-ER-Doc

Sure, if your definition of working is the patient didn't die. It's :censored:.

15. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Doc,

It's a bit off topic but now I've really gotta ask another Grapes of Wrath question:

How about adult fluid resuscitation via orally administered human breast milk (Rose of Sharon style)?

:uglystupid2:

16. Flight-ER-Doc

LOL, if they're conscious. Why not use water, gatorade, etc? It will work faster (due to faster emptying of the stomach and absorption by the intestine).

17. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I thought all patients die...

18. Flight-ER-Doc

All people die. Not all patients.

19. mtbrnr

mtbrnr Empty Pockets

I was thinking about adding Quick Clot to my backpacking first aid kit. Any recommendations on brands and where to purchase?

20. Fusion

Fusion Empty Pockets

Combat Gauze - Is the best, but you must have good wound packing training for it to work correctly. In the recent CoTCCC Meeting Minutes one Doc at a BAS in A-Stan stated flat out that Comabt Guaze saves lives.

Celox is the best powder agent

Stay AWAY from Quick Clot ACS+ or Quick Clot Sport, it does not work - Click HERE for the research

Rescue Essentials
    Chinook Medical
    North American Rescue
    Tactical Medical Solutions

There is a new gauze out that North American is carrying - ChitoGauze. I haven't seen any research on it yet, but it's parent's prouducts work well (Hemcon) - They were just very expensive.