1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quick tip: save those small plastic zip lock bags

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by FiaOlleDog, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I wasn't sure if this is worth a thread of it's own ...

Nevertheless, sometimes the easy things are that help a lot :)

When i started with EDC some years ago I realized I had (and continue to have) a need to group several small items together. Often it needs to be "sealed" from water/dust and sometimes they are so small (e.g. micro SD cards or Nano SIM cards) that regular plastic zip lock bags - on sale at grocery and hardware stores - are practical but not always fitting: most of them are simply to large for small objects.

Hence I started to collect those small plastic zip lock bags screws and other utensils came in when you buy furniture (IKEA, anyone?) or the o-rings of small flashlights, etc.

Basically, any time I get a small zip lock bag in my fingers I would collect and store them in my EDC stuff drawer - instead of throwing them away, as done before.

Over time I've got a good collection of different size bags (which have been cost free), to satisfy whatever need to group & seal items together comes up.

(Not to mention the vacuum sealer I got as a christmas gift last year :frantic: )

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Dec 5, 2018
    #1 FiaOlleDog, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. captbrian

captbrian Empty Pockets

Yup, save 'em all. I even go so far as to trim them down to the specific item that I will use them for, and melt the new edges together. Custom baggies!

(trick I use to get 'em melted back together is hang a 1-2 mm edge of of the bag off of my workbench, and a metal ruler placed flush at bench edge with the bit of bag sticking out. When they melt back a little bit, the metal ruler cools it down, prevents it from going further, and bonds it back together, keeping it from continuing to melt back randomly. I wish I had a baggie sealer of some sort)

jag-engr and FiaOlleDog like this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Nice tip:cool:

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Ezy Dose Disposable Pill Pouches are awesome mini ziplocs! They are reasonably sturdy and have a space for writing stuff.

I once found a variety pack of flimsier, no-name ziplocs at a grocery store in a few different sizes. I prefer the Ezy Dose pouches, though, because they are sturdier.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

IKEA also provides (also slightly larger ones with 0.3L and 1L) in their stores.

6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I like the heavy duty (300 gauge, 70 microns) grip seals available from ebay. I added them to my bag carry on a whim and have had to restock repeatedly. A nice range of sizes, food safe, and cheap as chips.

TheRunner and FiaOlleDog like this.