1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quick Note on Safe Knuckle Designs

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Minibear453, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys! Just noticed something a little worrying in some of the knucks that I see, so I figured I'd write something really quick. As a background, I box for fun and have seen a lot of hand injuries come despite wrapping your hands and wearing a pair of boxing gloves.

The main thing is that a hand is amazingly delicate. There are so many small bones and such that an unprotected punch has a good chance of breaking your hand, especially without practice. So a good knuckle needs to protect your hand as well. If your knuckle does not touch your palm, it's inherently dangerous. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

This looks really awkward because I'm trying to show my palm and such. Normally my hand would be in a proper fist, the ring/middle fingers would not be curled up into that little hole, and I'd hold the knuckle in a way that protrudes more from my fist. Two crucial things to notice. First, the base of the knuckle contacts my palm. That way, when I make a fist, I'm supporting it with my palm, much like a push dagger. Secondly, there's a lot of finger space. It's a little hard to tell, but from the size of the hole and the size of my fingers, there's easily a good 1/4" of space.

This way, if a punch, the knuckle is seated in my palm, and only my palm feels the impact. You do not want the impact to go on your fingers. Not only would this give you a weaker impact (because your fingers "squish" as you punch), but you run a good risk of breaking your finger as well.Too many designs that I see do not contact your palm and run this risk. Additionally, make sure the contact point is not... well a point. It should be a nice wide and smooth area that won't tear or puncture skin.

So in short, make sure your knuckles are contacting your palm, not the tops of your fingers. The Cypop and the A. Frankart knuckles do a good job of this, although I'd be weary that single finger knuckles do not provide enough area for your palm to give good support.