1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quick access solution for backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by DannyX, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone,

for an upcoming project of mine (new EDC backpack) I've been putting a lot of thought into
    making a concealed quick access method for pepper spray and a 18650 flashlight.
    So far I've come up with a few ideas, nothing too satisfying yet, though.

Where to put?

- on sidewalls: this would only work with the open side facing the user (flashlight and PS in horizontal position) at the bottom of the sidewalls, as pulling upward is pretty awkward if not impossible. Downside of this method is that you would need a relative strong retention system, hindering quick access. The object facing down would be possible but this would mean you'd have to catch the item as soon as you loosen retention. Bad solution for a high stress situation.

- on bottom of pack: this would make for very fast access, but somehow I don't like the idea of setting a potentially heavy load on volatile items like pepper sprays and Li-Ion lights every time I
    put the pack down

- shoulder straps facing upwards: my most favorite solution. Adds a lot of drag though and not very subtle. The weight would also pull the straps down making it harder to put the pack on. Definitely need some stiff shoulder straps with this method

How to close?

- velcro flap: Quick and easy in,quick and easy closure. Very loud though, making it a bad choice for self defense situations.

- fastex buckle flap: too finicky and slow for high stress situations

- shock cord retention: enough retention with very quick access. Hard to add concealment, though.

Do you guys have any ideas, or even better, existing solutions for this problem?
    I'd really appreciate some input.

2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

If you don't want them mounts on the outside of the bag, find a bag with a Velcro interior. Then buy purpose built pouches to hold the items. Blue Force Gear sells pouches that stick to that Velcro. That way, they can be accessible and near the top of the bag.

DannyX likes this.
  3. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

There has to be a way to somehow mount it on the outside, since I do want to be able to get it out in about 2 seconds. This means I have to get at it without taking the pack off. I've made some pouches for my flashlight and pepper spray that mount to my EDC pack's shoulder straps, it's not very low profile though and just looks plain stupid.

4. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Maybe a quick access slit/cut out in the side of the pack? Secured by Velcro?
    Or sew a small pouch to the base of the shoulder strap?

5. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

5.11 Flashlight and pen holder will give you some ideas .

DannyX likes this.
  6. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Access slit on an existing seam ( low and up against the back ) with thin spring tempered steel rods to keep the slit closes and unnoticeable while still allowing quick access.

DannyX likes this.
  7. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

The horizontal sidewall position isn't an option since I don't want to make my pack too long (or deep) to accomodate 70ml (I believe 2 ounce) pepper spray and 18650 light in this manner.

Seems like option one is the way to go. Although I'd probably not secure the slit into maind compartment at all, just use shock cord retention for spray and light.

Tried this adding pouches to shoulder strap. I'll post some pics of my hardcore mall special ops bag.

Wow, this is a new one... you mean sewing sleeves into the sidewall towards the slit to insert some springs? Am I getting this right)?

I plan on using a HDPE sheet frame on my next backpack build anyway, so I would mount items on the back of this sheet so the frame sheet would prevent the items pressing into my back when the pack is loaded. I guess it will be a little more complicated than I expected.

Thanks for the help.

8. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

If this is something I identified for myself as a need, I would try to get a bottom of the pack solution. If I were wearing a pack using both straps, I would want a system that would let me get to my OC spray with either hand. The truth about fighting your way out of a situation is the threat can be on you before you have an oportunity to decide for yourself which way to blade your body. You my need to make a shove or strike to get reactionary gap with either hand, leaving the other to reach for OC if that's your choice. Anyway, bottom of pack gives equal reach for either hand.

9. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

[​IMG]

thePlumbah likes this.
  10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Trying to work this out in my head and I can't. If the storage is on the bottom of the pack, wouldn't it tend to have to be drawn out towards one side of the other? If so, I don't see how that would lend itself to being ambidexterous.

Let's say it's on the botton of the pack with the opening for the compartment facing right. It would be an relatively easy draw with the right hand, but awkward with the left hand.

Am I missing something?

ATB,
    Sam

cheeser likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

A possiblilty....

• Placement - Shoulder strap
    • High denier nylon sleeves with possible further stiffening using material similar to that used for flexible kitchen cutting boards/mats (not the arts and crafts cutting mats that are made of several layers of different materials).
    • Open bottom (draw from the bottom)
    • No closure
    • Retention via rare earth magnets or quality made key/badge mini-leash
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

12. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

For a bottom of the pack storage I was thinking more of a "ready rack" snap in bracket made if kydex, not anything with a flap lid. Another consideration is that the aluminum canisters used are pressurized so they are more robust than expected and would take some abuse. The concern would be more towards not shearing off the plastic valve. Anyway, just a thought to get the project started.

DannyX likes this.
  13. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Here are some pics of shoulder strap pouches I made (pretty sloppy, since I figured it wasn't going to be the final version, guess what happened? ;) ).[​IMG]

From the side:

[​IMG]

Needless to say they were only used once. Mall ninja beyond any repair.

Here's the plan I've come up with: On my next EDC pack, I'm gonna mount the light and OC on the back of the pack insinde a two dimensional reach through pocket lined with velcro underneath. This will give me a platform from where I could experiment.
    Haven't done any kydex yet, I am very interested but I can't think of too many uses to justify the money for tools, etc...

14. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I need to work on my sewing...but that could be dangerous :) I love modifying my stuff.

I had another, maybe easier, idea for a quick-access solution: sewing an elastic pouch/strip on the bottom (or back or side) of your pack, like the BFG 10-speed series. It would lay flat when not in use, but be available to hold whatever you need it to.

15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

For a light and pepper spray, I suggest using two inch webbing and 3 or 4 inch wide elastic to make a pouch.

I would open a seam on the side that I can reach while the pack is on. Face the cylinders toward you and stitch them down. Maka a flap for the seam and secure it with rare earth magnets. Velcro works but it is slow, noisy and sometimes gets in the way. Rare earth magnets have their own problems but with the elastic on the pouch you just need to keep the flap shut.

I would also consider two horizontally mounted belt sheaths.

16. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

LOL. This is good.

17. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your help... I've finished the bag (with said quick access pocket).
    I've just made some pics, check them out here.