1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

questions on EDC carry blade legality

Discussion in 'Knives' started by The Vortex, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

I know in the UK, it is a big No No.

You just might have to live with out one.

Something in this modern world we all have to consider.

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I was Class of '92 and we had the same such rules but my school was real lax on them if you weren't a troublemaker.

We were watching something on a projector, a PROJECTOR! of all things, when my teacher asked if anyone had a SAK. Of course, I did and he used it purposefully. After class he asked me where I got it and told him. I thought I was going to get busted after the fact! The following Monday he was outside of class when I came walking up and showed the SAK he got after getting my recommendation.

3. MusicPhan

MusicPhan Loaded Pockets

Things got much stricter after the Columbine shootings in '99 (and several others as well). I graduated in '94 and I don't recall anyone getting in trouble for carrying one, but I don't remember any of my classmates *mentioning* they had one in their pocket, either. Even then, we knew that lockers could be searched any time. I went back to my old high school in May 2001 to visit and things had definitely changed with metal detectors and stuff, so that, at least, wasn't 9-11's fault.

What about something like this?

I'll second what everyone else is saying; don't risk it, ask first.

-- Steph

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

wow, Class of '72 ,California here. I can't even remember back then. You gals and guys are making me feel old today.

5. Blackhat

Blackhat Empty Pockets

Sad to say, but it seems the inmates are running the asylum. I always carried a SAK classic when I was in school, but that was many moons ago (class of 67), now everyone seems to have a zero tolerance policy. Not too long ago a Cincinnati student was expelled for carrying a classic for use in scraping excess resin off her violin strings. She was an honor student, but that made no difference...out she went! My advice is make do without while on school property.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Perhaps a Leather Micra or Squirt with the blade removed. I seem to recall reading that the Leatherman Fuse doesn't even have a blade. One of these should technically comply with the rules.

7. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

8. The Vortex

The Vortex Empty Pockets

ill try that one
    good choice btw O0

9. Bradlee

Bradlee Empty Pockets

That was my experience in HS as well. If your school has a website, it may list prohibited items/school policy.

10. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

SAK's are one of the things that everyone knows what they are. and its pretty to say that your gonna go ape-s*** with one.

11. kalineback

kalineback Empty Pockets

Graduated 93 back then I had a spyderco rescue or. noone sai 45 a gas station throwaway . no one complained, Smith .38 was in truck

12. kalineback

kalineback Empty Pockets

noone cared about a pocket knife, $5 throwaway

13. cde

cde Empty Pockets

I've read stories about a kid getting suspended for drawing a picture of a gun
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95563
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303796,00.html

and others about a kid in trouble for making a gun with his fingers....
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1458180/detail.html
    http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=12519

Four suspended for playing cops and robbers with their hands
    http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=12519

Taking a butter knife to school
    http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1007/465601.html

Bring in a toy gun the size of a quarter
    http://www.wtoc.com/global/Story.asp?s=896296

Backpack smelling like drugs
    http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1698605&nav=0qq6LOnP

Taking scissors to sewing class
    http://www.alien-earth.org/news/item.php?keyid=181&page=1&category=11

Suspended for having box cutter in car
    http://www.startribune.com/local/north/28586679.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Swiss Army Tool in car
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14043836/detail.html

For having a shell CASING, not even an entire bullet
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3975

Don't even risk it. People are stupid over ZT. Don't ask (you'll probably always be targeted or looked at closely after that), don't carry it, don't even leave it in your car if you park on school property (Hell, even on the sidewalk). Overzealous security guards, teachers, or administration will go bananas over it.

14. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

The limited intelligence and insecurities of too many school officials is an opportunity for creativity. A cheap keychain scissors will take care of most cutting tasks, and you could even sharpen the blades. If you will be cutting paper or shrink wrap, the Krazy Kutter from American Science and Surplus
    http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&term=krazy&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

works better than just about anything. It also has an element of geek cool, if that excites you.

I attended a church-affiliated high school, and my tool of choice was a Proto keyring screwdriver, which I still carry. Like me, it is now an antique. It wasn't a knife, but it could do some prying and the edges could score paper. Its main use back then was tightening the screws that held the carpet on the church's kneelers in place. Even though I did not use them, I did not want my friends falling off.

15. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

OMG! Thanks for teaching me about the "land of the free" :mad:

When I was in Highschool, carrying a knife was not a problem - and it is not NOW. You can carry all types of fixed blades, Folders, Balisong, Autos, whatever - no "anti-Knife" restrictions here, except for courthouse, parliament and jail (for inmates and visitors, employees are allowed to carry). I carried Spyderco, Benchmades and SOG knives in University, used them in public and noone ever cared. It seems that Austria is one last Island in the sea of anti-toll stupidity. :rant: :brickwall:

I hope you find a blade to carry without being punished for being prepared! :luck:

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would suggest that you loook up up your local laws, and since you mentioned HS, I would check your school's policy on knives. This is to protect you!!

17. Phyltre

Phyltre Empty Pockets

I will never understand how we can allow these kinds of regulations to exist. The very concept of taking away knives from everyone just so the 1/1000th who are violent won't have them is wholly beyond my comprehension and ability to grasp.

I never carried a knife in school because I knew how things were and that there would be zero possible recourse if someone decided to make a big deal. "Zero tolerance" policies are cop-outs of the worst order. That being said, as a student, you don't really have any recourse beyond contacting the principal directly. But if you do--realize this may put you in some clueless administrator's "dangerous" classification. If the principal says no, DO NOT bring something in anyway. They would almost certainly be watching for just that.

18. cmdio

cmdio Loaded Pockets

Of course YMMV, but I graduated in 2003 from HS and carried a micra (with the blade in place) or a buck Metro on my keys all four years. Several teachers knew I had it, and it came in handy several times to fix things. I guess I was more or less a "good kid" and this may be why. I think I got crap about it once from a hall monitor and they said something along the lines of "thats a weapon" and I then got out one of my metal bodied fine tip rollerball pens and showed it to her and said which one of these two things would do more damage. She shrugged and left, I was sure I was going to be called to the principal's office, but nothing ever came of it. I would say go with a micra and remove the blade. Or just use it discreetly and no one will ever know there is a blade on it.

One other option is to find a pair of scissors made of some good steel and modify them so that they can be taken apart. Put a more conventional knife grind on the blades and then when you need a blade just separate the blades and viola two knives.

19. theChipmunk

theChipmunk Empty Pockets

Wow. I didn't think American High Schools would be that retarded about knives, considering a large amount of you guys are packing handguns outside!

As I said before, the UK is retarded all over about knives. I wouldn't carry any sort of knife into school (at least not intentionally...) because you'd probably get chewed out. Bit weird though, considering I could walk into the central science store and a grab a few scalpels (or from the technology facilities. Hell, I could get a powered saw from there, actually...).

I narrowly avoided a nasty incident over the class I laser in my torch, which has absolutely no chance whatsoever of even getting close to doing damage. Pretty stupid, really.

To be honest with you, if I was planning on losing it and getting a frenzy on, I'd just bring in a massive butcher's knife that day and not bother with a tiny SAK that would be totally useless against one thousand pupils and staff wearing thick blazers and heavy jumpers. I mean, with the amount of school uniform we have to wear, I very much doubt the blade on a classic could actually get through. In fact, on the first swing, you'd just be more likely to close it on your fingers. When was the last time you saw a British Army soldier whip out a classic to give a Taliban the Good News?

*Sigh*

</rant>

theChipmunk

P.S. To any of the idiots who make the legislation in the UK, no, there's no need to lift me just because I discussed a hypothetical situation. You guys may have forgotten this, but our society was once built on trust and the right to free speech. Not any more, though... :(

20. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I was very lucky to go to a HS in NYC that had an administration generally biased in favor of students. Back when the NYPD was going around randomly putting portable metal detectors in high schools my principal said if that happens at ours the entire school was going on a field trip.

I carried a Leatherman Micra and a Gerber Multi-Pliers. It helped that I did IT work for the building during school hours when I had no classes, too. A multitool is pretty much the tool of the trade for that kind of thing.

Now, I am not advising you go and do what I did, but you should take the environment and administration into account. You may decide it is best to ask for permission... or instead for forgiveness if you are found with a useful tool. A lot of people see small SAKs as useful tools and not offensive weapons but there are people who get scared by any sort of sharp instrument that can be easily carried, so use your judgement.

I have been able to go everywhere with my Victorinox Classic on my keychain... except Six Flags (which overlooked my Spyderco Delica) and airports.