1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Questions from a tech-challenged guy

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by clock, Jun 19, 2021.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Two questions please

Q1: What's the simplest ( least hardware & software-dependent method ) to convert plastic films (slides & negative ) to digital

Q2 : I am looking for a camera. Everyone is saying a smart phone is good enough. I agree , but it is not only the mega-pixel and picture-related characteristics here. Sometimes, I just need to photograph something steady. In the old days, I used a camera (Nikon FE) with a tripod and a cable to press the SHOOT button remotely without shaking the camera itself. So, what are the equivalent gadgets these days ???
    Are there (I guess) cameras with remote controls ???

I have been trying to use the smart phone to photograph some slides, with very modest success.
    Some came OK, but most were shaky

2. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

For those who are interested, you put a light source under the slide
    These days, you can have a flat light that is about 6 inches by 6, or round. It s perfect for the job.

3. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

There is an adapter you can buy on Amazon that transfers it via USB to your computer. Search away...

4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If you have dozens of slides, that ain’t gonna work and the quality is, well, let’s say not quite the best. Check the Rollei PDF-S 240 SE it’s like 150 and works for pictures and slides. Great for archiving a collection.

@Q2
    If you have an iPhone you can use the wired headset as a remote release. AFAIK you press volume up when in camera mode. Check if your smartphone can do something similar if it’s an Android.
    We are using an old Pentax K-30 SLR. Cheap and splash proof. Which comes in handy at the sea and stuff. Those older cameras go for cheap on eBay. It gives you more possibilities than a smart phone. Phones have pretty good cameras, don’t get me wrong, but SLRs just hit different.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

#4 ThaMac, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys

The scanner is not really expensive, but not cost effective.
    I only have a few slides here and there, and I was hoping to be able to do them McGyver-style. LOL

Actually I have done one of them using the smart phone, but it took 10 shots to get one good enough (mainly because it was not steady).
    I'll try to McGyver some sort of light source (background) for the slide, and use a camera with stand. That should be steady enough.

OK, while we are at it. I am thinking to buy a camera. Should be budget friendly, as well as gadget-friendly ( can be used with a stand for better shots). And if possible, it should have a view finder ( when the sun is bright, it is hard to see the screen ). It is for a tech-challenged old guy. But should serve as many situations as possible ; from long shots ( my son's graduation after few months ) to photographing flowers in a garden.

6. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

... and photographing migrating birds if possible.

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I can’t make out if you’re looking for a system camera or a compact camera.
    If the size isn’t an issue, I would opt for a system camera.
    Then you basically just choose the system you are most comfortable with, i.e. brand and sensor size.
    Buy an older used body and lens to get started, and grow your system according to your capabilities and needs.

If you go compact… Sony RX100, the latest iteration you can afford.

My personal experience with camera systems is with Nikon FX, DX and CX as well as Panasonic/Olympus MFT.
    They can all do the things you’re looking for, and so would probably all the other systems/brands, it’s just a matter of preference and budget.