1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question, re. 511 Stryke and Duluth Trading Firehose Pants

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by azpops, Sep 1, 2016.

1. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Need some help with a couple of questions on these, specifically, black pants.

1. How is the color fastness on the black pants? Does the black holds it's color?

2. Are they wash and wear, or do you have to iron them.

I've been wearing black Dickies Carpenter Jeans forever. I wash it, then wear it. However, they will look really old / black fades very fast. After reading "Any fans of 5.11 pants" thread, the 5.11's has caught my interest, as well as reading about the Firehose pants.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pops

PS I own a pair of black 5.11 tactical series rain pant (for the past 4 years or so), and really like them. It's light, lined in front, and a true wash and wear pant (wash it, hang it up, dries quick due to the fabric), and is ready to go. Due to the fabric (which is 100% polyester), the pants although worn when it rains, or if it may rain, still looks new.

Last edited by azpops, Sep 1, 2016
  2. John McNalley

John McNalley Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of the Duluth Trading ultimate firehose pants in black. I've had them for about 8 months, no signs of fading yet. Great pants (although I wish they were actually made in North America).

deltic55000 and azpops like this.
  3. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I started wearing the khaki firehose pants 4 or 5 years ago and haven't bought any other brand since. I prefer the Flex version during the summer for it's lighter weight, but both versions hold up better than any other pants I've worn. If you haven't tried them, the standard firehose pants are noticeably heavier than denim. The benefit is great physical protection.

Last edited by Codeman, Sep 1, 2016
    azpops likes this.
  4. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Thank you, sounds good.

Thank's for the info. on the standard firehose pants. Due to it's lighter weight (after reading a few reviews), I was considering / looking at their DuluthFlex Fire Hose Carpenter Pants. But, wasn't sure how they'd hold up with continued use.

Buying online is tough at times.

Thanks again,

Pops

Last edited by azpops, Sep 1, 2016
  5. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

The Flex are obviously not as durable, but they are still tough...maybe not as much as a good pair of Levi's, but close. I've had to buy new pairs when either my weight changed, or an item I was carrying eventually wore a hole (duh). Otherwise, I haven't actually worn any out. Not that it can't be done, mind you, but they are tough, well-designed for comfort, and construction is great. They also have a few small surprises that aren't really highlighted - an interior waist-level pocket on the left side that can conceal a backup knife, money, or an NAA-sized pistol. The other nice feature is being able to use the rear pocket flaps or push then inside and velcro them out of the way. The main cargo pockets might have that ability is well. The right main pocket also has a small interior pocket down at the bottom of the pocket. It's sized about the same as a watch pocket on jeans. I keep my car's keyfob in it with the buttons closest to my skin so that I don't press the darn alarm button if I bump into something.

You're right about buying some things on line. I tried shoes once and will never do that again.

Good luck on finding what works for you, Pops!

6. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Thanks again. The flex sounds like a really good pant, ... decisions.

Pops

7. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Update: I figured I'd see how the fit is on both the 5.11 and DuluthFlex Pants, so I placed an order for a pair of Black DuluthFlex Fire Hose Carpenter Pants, and a pair of Black 5.11 Stryke Pants.

Thanks again!

Pops

8. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Smart move, Pops. I don't know about 5.11, but Duluth returns are super easy, if needed.

azpops likes this.
  9. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Thanks, good to know. However, I have a bad (not good fur the wallet ... :)) feeling I'm gonna like both pants. After which, I'll order another pair to start.

Pops

Last edited by azpops, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Neither is EDCF. Yet here we are...

aicolainen, F-Bobby and azpops like this.
  11. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Ain't that the truth! I'll post an update when the pants arrive. Thanks again for the help. ... [​IMG]

Pops

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

Fire Hose pants are too heavy and dry too slowly for my tastes. I have one pair and they've been worn twice now. I have 5.11 pants that are three years old and are just starting to show wear, I've got one pair that has a few pinholes. The 5.11 are wash and wear.

Another option you may want to look at are the LAPG pants. I have three pairs and they are quickly replacing all of my worn out pants. Best part is most styles are right at $20 a pair. Their "Gear Operator" pants are pretty close in style to the TAD cargo pants. Similar pockets and D-rings. Very functional, dry fast, cheap to replace when they need arises.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/pants.html

kikaida likes this.
  13. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

As for color fastness, ANY cotton-based pants will fade faster than pants made of other materials. The 5.11 taclite pros are a polyester/cotton blend, so will resist fading longer than the normal cotton canvas tactical pants. This is why my black cotton canvas 5.11s are more faded than my black taclite pros. As you have already found out, anything that is 100% cotton will fade fast compared to 100% polyester.

14. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip (and link) on the LA Police Gear pants. I agree on the 100% cotton, but the Dickies fades very fast. With the Dickies, I keep two new jeans on hand to wear when needed, ie. attend a meeting. May sound odd, but as soon as the meetings over, I wear the older, faded one.

BTW, I'm able to make that change, cause Calvin and I live and work out of our motor home. In addition, we work at night so no one would know (the few meetings I'm ask to attend are in the morning).

Thanks again,

Pops

PS I have to stop posting / trying to do a quick response while heading to bed.

PPS kikaida; Re. to colorfastness, this is the reason I decided to try the poly/cotton blend in 5.11's. Although the DuluthFlex is cotton, it seem these pants will hold up well. However, colorfastness is only one aspect in what I'd like to achieve with this new change in pants.

BTW, I checked, and I have three new pairs of Dickies in the closet. So I'm covered for meetings for the next two years. ... LOL

Thanks again!

Last edited by azpops, Sep 5, 2016
  15. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Update: Both (DuluthFlex and 5.11 Stryke) pants arrived a few days ago. I like the feel, or the hand of both fabrics, however, the 5.11's fit is better. Just a hair short in rise, but it should be fine. I ordered another 5.11 Stryke, and will return the DuluthFlex.

The DuluthFlex is a nice pant though, but I may have to try a pair one size smaller. I'll hold off ordering the smaller size, to avoid the time it takes to send them back if it doesn't fit.

Last note: the 5.11 Stryke seem to run smaller and the DuluthFlex, larger.

Pops

Last edited by azpops, Sep 16, 2016
  16. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

After 2 years abuse my black 5.11 strykes are just showing sings of colour fade as are my charcoal ones incidentally the tundra and battle brown ones which are older still look like new

17. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Sounds, great! I'll be heading to the alteration shop in the AM, to have the length taken up just a bit. 5.11 shows their model with his Stryke's bunched up at the top of his shoes, .... got close to wearing them that way, but nah, I'll take'em up. ... LOL

Pops

Edit, as of a few minutes ago; Ordered another 5.11 Stryke pant. ... ;) ... Three pairs should be a good start. ... LOL

PS whoever Ma donates my jeans to, it'll make someone a great work pant. They're faded, but in great shape (no tears, and such).

Last edited by azpops, Sep 18, 2016
  18. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I often wear stryke in the field, and ridgelines in the office (Ridgeline is basically the stryke with no cargo pocket and no flaps on the rear pockets). I find the stryke do fade but they get run very hard, outside in the sun 12 hours a re day, 7 days a week. Work pant fade especially black ones. I might suggest Grey or charcoal they will fade less and the fade will be less obvious. Regardless, they are absolutely awesome pants. Flextac is just great material.

azpops likes this.
  19. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

I've been checking out 5.11's different style pants, so thanks for the heads up on the Ridgeline's. Other colors in the wardrobe would be cool, cept, I only wear black. I may will pick up a charcoal (darker greys) down the line. I still would like to try out a (one size smaller) DuluthFlex carpenter pant as well.

However, my next item I'm looking to making a change, is a belt. I ordered a Spec-Ops brand better BDU belt. However, I'm reading up, and checking YouTube vid reviews on a few others.

Pops

20. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Well, thought I'd update this thread; and found the pants that worked best. I'm up to 5, 5.11 Stryke pants with flex tac. Great slacks, color fastness holds up great, and the convenience of wash an wear.

Thanks again, for all the help!

Pops

PS I'll try a pair of Ridgeline's on the next 20% off sale!

Last edited by azpops, May 10, 2018
    #20 azpops, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018