1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question on the shoulder straps on the Kifaru E&E bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ragnobash, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ragnobash

ragnobash Loaded Pockets

Morning Gang,

I'm the recently proud owner of a Kifaru E&E bag. It's funny how, when you wait for several weeks, a simple purchase can feel like Christmas when it arrives.

So, I bought the optional X-ray straps based on what I've read here on the Forum about comfort. Now, being rather hesitant about cutting something I think I just paid 100$ and waited 6 weeks to get, I've been running around with just the basic 3inch webbing shoulder straps. And I've found that it's comfortable for me on my daily EDC, even some light day hiking. Even loaded up with 6 water bottles and some hiking munchies, it felt find after several hours.

So what I'm wondering is how much weight those of you who switched to the straps are carrying in their packs, and dose anyone know a way of attaching the X-ray's with out having to cut the E&E's straps off.

Thanks again!

2. ragnobash

ragnobash Loaded Pockets

Wow..:) I had no clue I had found a question that would stump people here at EDC fourm. Or made a topic with not intrest..

3. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

It's a clear case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lots of people push the E&E above and beyond what it was designed for, loading it down with additional pockets, thus necessitating the X-Ray shoulder straps.

bigfoot and nick nitro like this.
  4. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

I've have 2 E&E's. One with stock straps and one with the X-Ray straps. I really don't see much difference until I hit about #25 in the pack, then the padding of the upgrade straps are nice.

5. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I like the Xray straps regardless of weight (having said that, one of my E&Es still has the stock straps).

I say leave it until you really feel the need, but don't worry about cutting the old straps. Just cut them as long as possible to give yourself some leeway when it comes to dialling them in. You can always shorten them later.

6. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Within its design parameters its where it needs to be. If you feel a need to do a serious mod like that, you probably have the wrong pack to start with.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I have to give credit to folks who are willing to chop up their E&E shoulder straps. :eek:

8. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I got the E & E as a large pouch/pocket small back pack in a pinch. I find the straps to be perfect for how I use the bag and wouldn't want to lose the ability to be able to make them disappear in the strap pocket/panel. If you are going to use it strictly as a back pack though maybe the bigger straps will suit you better. I suspect my E & E will get less use this week when my Zippy arrives and that I will use it even more as just a large pocket. Good luck, Ed

9. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I recently got an E and E too. I was a little hesitant also, but went ahead and cut the straps and attached the x-ray straps. With the organizer attached, I feel like I've finally found: 'THE EDC BAG'. That said, I've felt like this with the last two EDC bags also. (Jumbo lasted a year and Sitka lasted almost two.)

I docked the E and E with the x ray straps attached to my loaded Mollex this weekend. I was traveling. I didn't really carry it like that I was just trying it out to see how well it worked. If the stock straps don't bother you and you are planning on docking it to another pack regularly, I might hesitate to cut them. Otherwise cut them, melt the ends to avoid fraying, and attach the X ray straps. Like I said, this is my current Ideal EDC bag. (I've tried rush 12, rush 24, falcon 2, Jumbo, Sitka, 2 different camera bags repurposed to EDC duty, and a couple department store type sport bags.)

Good luck and Carry on.

Grizz

10. ragnobash

ragnobash Loaded Pockets

Thanks gang! I found the normal straps more than comfy for my EDC useage, but was really wondering if I was missing out by not using the X-ray straps. And for now, I think I'll keep the stock straps. may have to sell the X-ray straps- we'll see.

11. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

You can just remove the upgrade straps and put them inside the rear pocket or inside the pack if your docking the E&E to a larger pack. Should be the same with the Zippy.

12. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

FWIW Rag... I struggled with the same dilemma for a while. I finally got the sheers out and put on the XRay straps. IMO it is more comfortable especially when cinched tight to the back.

13. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

You can always get some strap pads for it as well to add a little more comfort.

14. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Whomever gets a Zippy, please post some pics of that pack. Thanks! :)

bigfoot likes this.
  15. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I was thinking for all you guys that put X-ray straps on an E & E, why not try Scout straps, they are a much smaller profile than the X-ray straps and would seem to me better suited for the E & E.

16. Schuey2002

I wish Kifaru would just get on with it and crank out a 1,500 cu. in. version of this bag, with the X-Ray straps already mounted on it from the factory....

Ugh.

17. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

I believe that be the Zippy?

18. Schuey2002

^^^^^

Maybe for some people. But, I would rather have a panel loader like the E&E, only 50% bigger...

el chupacabra likes this.