1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question on Hinderer XM18 finish

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DSC, Jul 8, 2009.

1. DSC

DSC Banned

I had a question on the various finishes available...on the tumbled finishes I've seen, it looks like there are marks on the Ti...do those wear over time and fade out? Can it be polished at all to remove all those marks?

I'm thinking I'd like the tumbled finish so that it will be smoother...but the marks on it look like tin flashing, so that's why I was wondering if they'll polish out. Here's an example of what I'm talking about...
    http://www.theknifecellar.com/moreinfo.asp?item_id=1250

Any info on this from XM18 owners? Also, anyone know what metal Rick uses for his blades? I could not find that info on his webpage...

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I believe that Chris Reeve uses that technique. Try contacting his organization if you are unable to get an answer here or from Rick.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

DSC,
    I just tried to reply to your PM but could not since your Inbox is full.

I trust that you will get your answer from the knowledgeable members here.

4. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Rick uses Duratech 20CV on the older models, and he has two new experimental blade steels that he used on a few knives at Blade this year. CTS-XHP and he also used another that I cant remember at the moment.

I don't have anything from Rick with a stonewashed piece. My two are satin finish blades and bead-blasted frames.

5. DSC

DSC Banned

Thank you for your reply.

Anyone else have any other experience with the "tumbled" finish and how it looks over time? I wanted to get a smooth finish and figured it would show marks less than beadblasted, but I am leaning toward beadblasted now. :( Just don't like the sheet metal flashing look...does it look that bad in person?

6. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Stonewashed will show marks the least -- by far!!!

Bead blast will show marks the most. On the other hand, if you have a blaster, you can re-blast anytime.

If you are just asking which finish to get for an actual user in order to have it show marks as little as possible, definitely go with the stonewashed. You'll have to drag it behind the car to see any marks in that finish. How can you scratch something that's already got a million micro scratches on it?

This is true for Atwoods as well.

Edit: BTW, it doesn't really look as sparkly as the picture you posted makes it look. Go for it -- you can always sell it for what you paid, if not more.

7. DSC

DSC Banned

Thanks for your input!

I definitely will *not* be selling it...I am fortunate to be able to obtain one...I'll be using it. I just have friends that are uhhh....not very educated about knives and don't want to hear any crap from them about it looking like flashing. And then I'd have to explain to them about the XM-18 and all...I just don't have that kind of energy to defend my knife purchases anymore. But I don't want to hear stuff from them about the finish looking cheap...

I'm glad to hear it doesn't look quite that mottled as in the pic I posted a link to...whew...

Thanks again...

8. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

When you pay that kind of money for a knife, if it's nice and shiny and you use it, you'll cringe when you get scratches and "pocket" wear showing up on it. Tumble finish alleviates that.

I lost one of my Unique Graphic Sebenza's at work about 8 months ago. Broke my heart and put the fear of God into me of losing my XM-18's when I carried them. I wound up selling these. The best built folding knife there is IMO.

Small Orange XM-18 Flipper, Generation II, Hand ground Satin blade with tumble finish frame.
    [​IMG]

Large Blue XM-18 Flipper, Generation II, Hand ground satin blade with tumble finish frame.
    [img width=640 height=512]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/Blue-XM-18-Collage.jpg[/img]

9. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Don't tell your non-knife friends what you paid for your XM. They won't get it, no matter how many reasons you can give them for why it's better than a $10 Chinese knock off. Just enjoy your knife and the pride of ownership that comes from having a top quality tool made in a home based shop by an American firefighter. Don't feel the need to justify it to anyone. What's the point? They won't get it and will just take away from your joy.

10. DSC

DSC Banned

I know, I do understand all that...they'll never "get it"...but they'll inevitably ask "Gee, how much did it cost?", probably because they want one too. I don't know a nice way to tell them "more than you're willing to pay". ???

11. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

I saw a post a while back where someone advised never admitting to more than $100 for any knife or light unless the person "gets it". I usually don't take the advice, tell the truth and get the inevitable "you have got to be kidding" look complete with eye roll. :( :laugh: But it's good advice!! You can sell the logic of the benefits a superior tool to someone who wouldn't pay $2 for a knife. You cannot sell the idea of $500 better.

12. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Hey DSC,

The tumbled finish definitely doesn't look like flashing or cheap metal.  You'll really like it when you get to see it in person.  The tumbled finish holds up really well.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with your XM when you get.  Plus it will look really good with those new Starlingear beads.  ;) 

Here are some close shots of the finish:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DSC

DSC Banned

14. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in! If it makes you feel any better, I only have one of those 3.5" XMs left in my collection. :(

I think the knife cellars pics are really good, but the lighting makes the tumbled finish look different than it does in person.