1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question for Rotring fans

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mrichelo, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

I know there are some Rotring fans out there. I've seen ya.

I am thinking of adding one to my small pen collection, and was wondering if they are worth the prices I'm seeing on E-bay.

Is a old (knurled) Rotring 600 ball-point claimed to be new in the box worth $130?

Is a newer one worth $70-$80?

I know they are no longer made, just curious if now is the time to buy. and is worth spending that much, or if that is too high.

Thanks,

Mark

2. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

Mine are the newer Japanese versions. I really like them, but I don't think I would pay $70-80 for one. I'm thinking I paid around $20 for mine on closeout. With a parker gel cartridge they are great writers.....

3. Domanfp

Domanfp Loaded Pockets

I would say the ones I have (newer newton style) are worth the ~40 I paid for em. I would have to think about it for 80 but I think they are great pens and def can stand up to a beating. If I knew I wasnt going to lose it I could justify 80 for it.

4. Cogency

Cogency Loaded Pockets

Pros-
    They are absolutely worth it if you have money to spare, because they are going to be harder and harder to find in a "like new" condition.
    They are tough as hell (besides for the paint eventually wearing or chipping in a pocket full of keys, but that won't happen in a nice case.)
    They have a great weight to them.
    They take very standard refill sizes meaning you can almost always find a good point/ink type that fits your need (I like TUL ultra fine.)
    They are sleek and upscale enough to add a little class in the business world while not in any way appearing snobbish.
    They emphasize utility in the non slip grip (on the older ones) and the octagonal shape prevents rolling on a drafting table.

Cons-
    They can be uncomfortable to write with for hours at a time.
    Can chip (the silver seems to be the most resistant to this)
    If you are like me and lose pens on a regular basis you are better off using a zebra or some other 5 dollar pen in the situations that you are most likely to lose them in.

5. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

I have one of the newer ones. I think I paid about 40 bucks shipped for a "scuffed" one. Never did find the scuff. Solid pen. No complaints

6. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I have an older one that I have used almost every day for the last 5 years or so. It has a few chips but that's it as far as wear. Everything still works as it should. If you don't like heavy stuff it's not the pen for you. Almost without fail people who I lend it to say "that's heavy" right after I hand it to them.

7. Jaybrowndetroit

Jaybrowndetroit Empty Pockets

They are absolutely worth the price! What with TSA and others reducing what you can carry on a daily basis, (i.e., many no longer allow "tactical" pens or similar looking items) you'll find the Rotring 600 series as good or better. Better because they are de facto defensive weapons - especially the fountain pen. It's better made than the tacticals: heavy gauge, machined, screw on cap, two blunt ends. Better than a Yawara stick.

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have one from there core line...not expensive and works real good ... its taken abuse ...because it was my at work pen for years

9. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

Hi mrichelo,

I have used a rotring 600 fountain pen, a 600 mechanical pencil, a newton pen and a newton pencil and some more.
    Regarding the quality they are (for me) the cream of the crop. Regarding the design I would prefer them instantly to any 300$ Mont Blanc, but that is my individual preference. Even more so when it comes to ergonomics/comfort while writing with the instrument. I´ve heard people love the knurled grips, others dislike them. Some people say the pens are just too heavy, others say they are perfectly balanced.

I recommend that you find a possibility to hold the ball point you want in your hand. This will probably solve your question pretty quickly - either you like it or not. In case you feel it really fits your hand perfectly I´d say don´t worry about quality - they are top notch.

If you know somebody living in germany he might get you one for cheaper as they are more frequently to find on the german market that on the us market as far as my opinion goes.

Are you looking for the ball point (with cap) or a pen (retractable and without cap)?

Best regards,

l.

10. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

11. Pyker

Pyker Loaded Pockets

I have had a full set of Rotring for more than 15 years now. They are kept at home after a long and active career. They work great despite some paint chipes and are the best chunks of metal that can write tools I have ever had. I have often wondered why they stopped

12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've had a Black Rotring 600 that I've used nearly every day for the last 8 years or so. I Paid $50 in a store that was going out of business. I really like it but I don't think I'd pay over $100 to replace it. It is a great pen but it's still just a pen.

13. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

Just a follow-up on that order I made from Bundoki.com from Japan. Order placed, acknowledged, brief email exchange, invoice issued and pay via PayPal, was all done within 1 day. Shipping took days 3 to the states. Only took 4 days to get some great products at a decent price. Shipping ~$10 and they threw in a free Tombow eraser. Just a happy customer. Two thumbs up.