1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question for Eyeglass Wearers

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Buford, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Buford

Buford Loaded Pockets

I wear eyeglasses and they have the antiglare coating on the lenses, which are very prone to scratches if not cleaned properly. The only thing I have found to clean them without scratching are the moist wipes. I get mine from Lenscrafters. I use a couple per day and it's a pain to always have to replenish my supplies so I'm looking for something that can be reused every day. I've tried to use the microfiber cloths but they tend to just smear the face oils all over the lenses.

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

There's a little cloth that comes in the package of screen protectors for things like cellphones or ipods. That works great.

3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Warm water and small amount of mild soap followed by soft cloth. Gets rid of oils and crud.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I clean mine with the steam from the dishwasher when I open it.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I don't use any kind of wipes. Just running water from the tap, detergent and my fingers. Rinse first to get the big chunks off, wash then rinse. The trick is in the final rinsing. Turn the tap to full hot and turn it down to get a nice laminar flow with no bubbles. Hold your glasses at about a 45 degree angle (across the temples) and start rinsing from the "high" side moving slowly across making sure the water runs down both sides of the lens. If you do it right, and it does take some practice, they'll end up sparkling clean with no wiping or drying needed.

Since I figured out how to do this, I find my glasses need cleaning much less often. My theory is that any kind of wiping, no matter how thorough, is going to leave something behind which will then attract more gunk. If they're thoroughly de-greased, there's no goo for dust to stick to, so they stay clean longer.

Try to avoid "handwashing liquid" or anything with lots of fruity, sparkly, lotion-y stuff in it, leaves behind more muck than what you started with.

I have glasses that are 10+ years old (now my backups) and while the frames show some miles, the lenses look like they came out of the oven yesterday.

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

+1 to what Kilted1 said. Usually I just use some running hot water to clean my glasses, then blow them dry (if necessary) without touching the lenses. That takes care of dust and most oils and crud. Dust can scratch the lenses if you just wipe them with something, so I try to avoid doing that.

For an infrequent but more thorough cleaning, I use a lens cleaning solution in a tiny spray pump bottle and a microfiber cloth. Both came with the glasses when I bought them.

7. Technicolor

Technicolor Loaded Pockets

I use cold water and some soap. Then wipe with the little cloth that came with the glasses. You're not supposed to use hot water if the lenses are plastic, it makes them milky with time.

8. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I use cold water and a piece of swiffer sheet... Go this tip from a lady friend that needed to clean her glasses in a hurry while in a grocery store... Swiffer sweepers, those fancy kitchen floor cleaners, the blue sheets for them work great. I use them dry throughout the day too.

9. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

The running water method is good, but I frequently need to clean my glasses when I am not near a faucet. A dry microfiber cloth with no chemicals or other liquids works well for me even when there are oils on my lenses.

If micro fiber hasn't worked for you then consider that not all microfibers are the same. Just look at the pricing. I can pick up a 12 pack of "microfiber" cloths at a big box store for $5. Other micro fiber cloths from janitorial supply houses cost $4 each, nearly 10 times the price per cloth compared to the cheapies. The janitorial supply houses are not making a killing on these, they are more expensive because or the material and manufacturing processes that go into them.

10. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I have a microfiber cleaning cloth made specifically for glasses that works pretty well. If it starts smearing a quick run through the washer takes care of that. Also, not all anti-reflective coatings are the same. The first coating I ever got on my glasses was great collected dirt like it was its job. The next pair of glasses I purchased I paid for the "premium" coating that was claimed to be hydrophobic and I have to say it has been less likely to pick up my face grease.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Personally, I usually just use hot water and a clean, dry cotton cloth. I think my glasses have (or at least originally had) a similar coating, but I haven't personally found it to be prone to scratching or difficult to clean.

On a side note...
    Wait, laminar flow? Just out of curiosity, what kind of field tech are you, exactly? ;D

12. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Both my pairs of glasses have Hoya lenses, anti-glare and scratch resistant (not proof) coating. I got two lense cloths which clean the lenses amazingly well. I was always told never to dry-rub my specs as this can scratch them. However, the Hoya lense cloth works dry and hasn't marked them whatsoever.

(On a plus, my specs got knocked off yesterday when a patient tried to punch me. They skidded across the floor and haven't scratched. IMHO it's worth paying for a decent coating.)

13. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

eh, i think the whole scratching paranoia is a little overplayed.......

ive used my T-shirt, napkins, tissues, ect. for years........never had any problems.

14. Buford

Buford Loaded Pockets

I have first hand experience that the particular lenses I have scratch if you look at them wrong. Maybe I need to look into a different lens coating treatment.

15. flatmosquito

flatmosquito Loaded Pockets

Also be aware that hot tap water can cause transition coatings to spiderweb.

16. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I've bought my last 2 pair of glasses from target optical, I have Whichever anti glare they use, and I've been cleaning with my shirt for years, never a scratch.

But hopefully lasik this year so i won't have to worry about it.

17. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I just use Hot water and Dish soap.

18. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Go to WallyWorld optical and get a small bottle of lens cleaner. Use it with the micro fiber cloth. Works like a champ! You can also find the small pocket size bottles of lens cleaner at most vision "stores" or whatever you want to call them. I can't say I carry one on me all the time because I typically wear contact lenses. Pearl Vision sells the little kits which even include a small screwdriver. I used a "dry" micro fiber cloth on a good pair of Bolle sunglasses and ruined them. I will never do that again.

19. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

+1 too on this, though in a hurry I would use what soft cloth I have within arms reach. No need for commercial wipes.

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

LOL! Not to derail the thread but I'm currently employed as a phone guy. Also truck driver, video engineer, landscape arborist, mechanic, herbalist, minerologist and general purpose Jack of all trades. Thanks for asking! ;D

Speaking of all this, I really need to get new lenses. One pair feels like my arms are too short, other pair is getting scratchy because I was in too much of a hurry to get the coating. Backups are good but slide down and close off my nostrils. Life is one huge trade off sometimes.